SE Smarter Choice Than SEL?

PapaJ

No trade in. Cash deal. I found my best offer at the ford dealer in Baltimore (Koons) then used their pricing to get a better deal from the other dealers. They may not have liked it but they were willing to sell one at that price. Not like I had to put a gun to their heads or anything. If others are having to pay msrp or close to it, it seems they'd do better to just order one from Koons or a similar large dealer & have it shipped in.

My wife and I are drastically different heights, and so a power seat without memory is more annoying than it is useful. It takes far too long to adjust a power seat, we both think. If it could memorize our positions, and switch between them with the press of a button, then okay, but to hold the "slide backwards" button down for half an hour while the seat slides from full forward to full reverse... meh. I'd rather just slide it back myself. It's much faster. 

As for the sunroof, that's an available option on either the SE or the SEL, so it's not a deciding factor between models; it's its own decision, about whether you want one or not. For us, we think it's beautiful, and would've opted for it in a heartbeat, until we learned it doesn't open. Now it just seems silly, and considerably too expensive. I bet Ford made it sealed so that it would be aerodynamic, so I see the logic, but I'm just not interested in it, so we opted against that. If it cost less than $1k extra, maybe, but for that money, and to not be able to open it, no thank you.

As for the MFT system, we love that, absolutely love it. But again, that's an option on either the SE or the SEL, so that's not a reason to choose between models either. That's an option to elect for or against. We elected for. We also opted for the power lift gate and ambient lighting. In other words, package 203a.

We could've opted for heated mirrors and heated seats as well. Again, that's not an SEL exclusive. That's available on the SE, but the CMax we found which offered 203a and heated mirrors/seats was red, and we really wanted blue. The blue CMax we found had 203a, but not heated seats/mirrors. We also found a blue CMax with 203a and sunroof (they are out there), but as I said earlier, we decided against that. It would've bothered us to no end that we weren't able to open it.

That said, the actual non-optional differences between the SEL and SE are really: leather, foglights, push-button start, kick sensor under bumper for power lift gate, rear view camera, front bumper sensors that beep (the SE offers these in the rear, but not the front), the Sony edition of the MFT system instead of whatever non-Sony version is in the SE, and the chrome stripe under the windows. None of these choices are available, even as options, on the SE. And they're nice features, for sure, but they cost a collective $3k, and we deemed them not quite nice enough for us to be willing to spend that. $3k is a lot of money, which feels like even more still when it means the difference between spending under $30k or over.

Most of what we wanted in this car - excellent fuel economy, decent power, extremely quiet ride, and a spacious interior - came with just buying a CMax at all. The options, for us, don't make or break this car. So we think, yes, the SE is the better pick. For us, at least.

Edited by CarpeNivem

We, also, chose the SE, mainly to save money. Don't care about leather or a bigger dash screen. The features on our other car, a Volt, that I miss most on the C-Max are the backup camera and the auto dimming mirrors. The only disappointment with our C-Max so far (we've owned it only three months) is the crumby turning radius. Not a horrible problem, and that's not much of a complaint, either. Generally, we're delighted with the car. 

I would have been happy with the SE model too with the winter pkg but the wife wanted leather & I really wanted / needed the better seat, so went for the SEL. Backup camera would be nice but I wasn't going to pay 2k extra just to get it. I'll wait a year or so and do an aftermarket add on.

I would appreciate hearing about where/how you are going to get leather seats for $1000.  Thanks.

Local leather shop in ATL. They actually remove the cloth from the seats and re-do them with leather. Have not seen it yet but the dealer claims it is a near-perfect match for the factory leather.

Holy cow, that really is a deal. I should have had you shop for me!

Yeah - me too!

That's ~ $4,500 off a ~$29,000 sticker. Even if that includes $750 public + $750 private/brochure rebates, that's still ~$3K off sticker...that's way under invoice, so I'm not sure how they're doing that, unless maybe there are some special dealer incentives in your area. FYI, here in Phoenix, about 6 weeks ago, besides rebates, we got about $2K of sticker, and we thought that was pretty good.

As far as the SE vs SEL, it just depends on your budget and your expectations. I have traditionally liked getting the upgraded and more heavily optioned models of cars, including several Cadillacs. On one occasion, I bought a 2005 Lincoln LS - it was a V6 (not V8) model, which I didn't regret, but it had the most basic interior and equipment. It was a Lincoln, so it did have leather and cruise and tilt and power seats (both) and fog lights and climate control...but I did miss having a better stereo, rain sensing wipers, auto dimming mirrors, trip computer, memory seats with better leather, nicer interior. The car was always fine, never had ANY problems with it, but it felt like just a really nice Ford or Mercury and not a Lincoln, so I never really relished owning and driving it.

We wanted leather - so SEL. We wanted the better stereo and back up camera (nav and power liftgate were welcome, but not must haves), so 302A. We would have like a sunroof that opened, but a glass roof that doesn't open here in the Valley of the Sun/Phoenix just didn't appeal to us. We keep our cars for 10+ years, so all the toys only cost us a few hundred dollars a year.

But again, it's different strokes for different folks - that's why automakers offer different versions and options (and color)

I'm really happy with my fully loaded SE. I do miss not having keyless entry and all the little perks the SEL has, but getting the car fully loaded and getting it for the price of the base SE makes it a great deal!

I'm surely not going to complain, but keyless entry and push button would have been cool.

It gets even better. Jerrys Ford in VA Ruby SEL w/msrp $29,555 for $23,888 plus fees. If I was rich & didn't have any poor kin, I'd get that one for me. Matching his & her rides.  Wonder if I could get a 2nd $750 brochure rebate? LOL

http://www.jerrysford.com/new-inventory/index.htm?SByear=2013&SBmake=Ford&SBmodel=C-Max%20Hybrid&SBbodystyle=Hatchback&SBprice=clear

Edited by METROMAN

It gets even better. Jerrys Ford in VA Ruby SEL w/msrp $29,555 for $23,888 plus fees. If I was rich & didn't have any poor kin, I'd get that one for me. Matching his & her rides.  Wonder if I could get a 2nd $750 brochure rebate? LOL

http://www.jerrysford.com/new-inventory/index.htm?SByear=2013&SBmake=Ford&SBmodel=C-Max%20Hybrid&SBbodystyle=Hatchback&SBprice=clear

Wow that article must have scared them or maybe they just screwed up the ad and its really an SE.

We, also, chose the SE, mainly to save money. Don't care about leather or a bigger dash screen. The features on our other car, a Volt, that I miss most on the C-Max are the backup camera and the auto dimming mirrors. The only disappointment with our C-Max so far (we've owned it only three months) is the crumby turning radius. Not a horrible problem, and that's not much of a complaint, either. Generally, we're delighted with the car.

If you check the "accessories and modifications" section of the forum you'll find a write up I posted on how to install an auto dimming mirror on the Cmax. You just have to buy the mirror. Amazon and eBay are good sources for getting the mirror.

Edited by dtorres

my cmax hybrid was my first 'brand new' car so i was plenty happy with just the SE model with the panoramic roof and premium paint.  i do miss my 07 mustang GT i traded in but my cmax is fun enough to drive. 

plus, the idea of microsoft anything in my car was not appealing.  an external gps works fine for me, for the relatively rare times i'm going somewhere my phone's google navigation will not suffice. 

Edited by Jmonty

Local leather shop in ATL. They actually remove the cloth from the seats and re-do them with leather. Have not seen it yet but the dealer claims it is a near-perfect match for the factory leather.

P.S: The leather seats were installed yesterday and are indistinguishable from the factory leather, looks great.

We have the SEL 302 package - recent trip out of state and MFT -NAV was wonderful ! Fwiw- recent updates to software, and NAV has split screen in Junction View of intersection, exit ramps etc -- loved this! I like my bells & whistles and SEL has them : -). Only thing I'd like to see added on SEL? We tow 4-wheels down behind RV, and wish Ford would clarify "keyless/push button start" instructions in owner's manual ref: how to correctly place push-button start C-Max into "accessory mode" for flat towing. Ford... Are you reading this? BTW - Fiesta model has a dash display that says "transmission ready to tow" (or similar phasing)... Would be GREAT if Ford would do software update on SEL that gives dash message "accessory mode- ready to tow"... Hey, Ford how about it?

I purchased the SE with the 202A and Winter packages so I have heated seats and heated mirrors.  Heated seats are nice to have in New England!

The only thing I would want from the SEL trim level is the foglights.  The rest is pretty much useless to me.  I hate auto dimming mirrors, just hate 'em!  I don't care for leather seats either.  Auto wipers are ok but I wouldn't pay extra for something like that.  I think I know when it's raining and I'm certainly capable of turning the wipers on.

I'm more than happy with the SE.  I bought my first new car in 1973 and of all the cars I've owned, the C-Max is hands down my favorite, I just love this car.  I started hypermiling about 6 years ago so this car fits my driving style, or maybe thats the other way around.  Anyway I'm averaging about 50 ± MPG and couldn't be happier.

Anyone not getting at least 45 MPG needs to learn how to drive a hybrid, RTFM! (read the ford manual) ;)  Better yet, read the posts on this forum, There's a wealth of knowledge to be gained here.

One of my favorite things about this car is while getting 50 MPG, it has more than enough get-up-and-go to pass others when necessary, try that in a Toyota Pukeus!

I hope ya'll are enjoying your C-Max as much as I am.  Simply a fantastic car.

I`m ordering a MY 14 C-MAX in Sept. "SE" with 202 Package.  I don`t want Leather Seats for "free".  Too hot for South FL.  The Fog Lights look better then the Black knock-out plugs but, how often are they ever used?  IMO, the Chrome Trim (surround) the side windows on the SEL is not attractive at all.  The Black  Moulding blends better with the Vehicle`s profile.  Odd the MY 14 Fusion gets the Rear-Camera Monitor standard in (all)Trim levels, C-MAX awaits MY15, I guess.

50mpg is pretty intense, wow. My wife and I average 41mpg, which we're totally happy with. Yeah, it's lower than the EPA rated amount, but we're achieving it without actually trying. We don't feel like we even own a hybrid at all. We just drive it how we want to, it responds how we ask it to, and we're rocking out 41mpg. I really don't think there's any other car available that can do that. So, yeah, we're very happy with it!

But, still, damn, 50mpg. Wow!

your the 1st person who said they are getting a 2014. can't wait to hear all about it. i created a separate thread for 2014 buyers so please post something over there and keep us updated on the progress. good luck. Will be nice to see how one with all the fixes already installed by factory will do compared to all the beta testers here who go the first model year and has to patch update like crazy. here is the 2014 thread:

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2280-2014-c-max-buyers-shoppers/?do=findComment&comment=25172

I`m ordering a MY 14 C-MAX in Sept. "SE" with 202 Package.  I don`t want Leather Seats for "free".  Too hot for South FL.  The Fog Lights look better then the Black knock-out plugs but, how often are they ever used?  IMO, the Chrome Trim (surround) the side windows on the SEL is not attractive at all.  The Black  Moulding blends better with the Vehicle`s profile.  Odd the MY 14 Fusion gets the Rear-Camera Monitor standard in (all)Trim levels, C-MAX awaits MY15, I guess.

Edited by salsaguy

• 2 weeks later...

Initially I wanted the SE but after sitting in a SEL and looking at that chunk of a screen - I was sold. Now with 3.5.1 I have nothing but GREAT to report, especially with the GPS. :wub2:  it and will by the Prii again.

;)

What is this 3.5.1 I've seen people talking about?

I've got the Energi with the 302a package. The other day the synch screen went blank 2 or 3 times, and said somethng about "Scheduled Maintenance". It was a royal pain - couldn't even turn the radio off!

-Kurt

What is this 3.5.1 I've seen people talking about?

I've got the Energi with the 302a package. The other day the synch screen went blank 2 or 3 times, and said somethng about "Scheduled Maintenance". It was a royal pain - couldn't even turn the radio off!

-Kurt

It's an update that was released for MFT.  Depending on when your car was born it may already have it.  http://syncmyride.com/ to be sure.  If you have outside temperature on the main MFT screen or a hybrid display on the main MFT screen, then you have it.

We got an SEL with no extras. Mainly because of the Smart key!  Once you have a smart key, you can't go back. Our other cars have had them.  So, we ended up getting our first car with leather seats.  I'd say this C-Max has the most comfortable driver's seat I've ever had. Love the power and lumbar.

+1  

We've had smart keys since 2009 and going back to using a remote.... and a key that you have to put in a hole..... and........turn......... seems.......... barbaric!  :)   We also had a powered liftgate on a previous van so we knew how handy that is too (no more touching dirty exteriors to slam it shut).  We always get heavy tint here so a backup camera is very important.  Never been a fan of powered seats but the infinite adjustability is wonderful on trips.   Add in the leather seats (much easier to keep with kids) and it was a no brainer to get the SEL with options.  

I don`t want Leather Seats for "free".  Too hot for South FL. 

I've seen and heard this so much that I always shied away from leather seats but I took a gamble, got them on my 2010 Prius, and have been pleasantly surprised.  I feel no difference between them and fabric seats.  In all our cars, we try to use a shade and tint but I think it's the foam cushioning that absorbs and gives off the heat.   Every car since has been purchased with leather or added.  YMMV