Journey to 800+ Miles on a single tank in a C-Max Hybrid

Jus-A-CMax

The computer could be working the ICE harder and babying the battery after it's been in a hot parking lot all day.  This effect is very pronounced in the Energi.  Sitting in the sun on a hot day will get the battery temperature to 100 F easily (per Scangauge).  Once it hits 113-114, the ICE starts running even though the battery still has plenty of charge left.  A couple degrees hotter and it starts engine braking rather than regen, which the Energi never does unless the battery is full.

I can't speak with certainty for the hybrid, but it may be doing a bit of the same after an afternoon in Phoenix.

What code do you use on the scangauge to get battery Temps?  I only have SOC, are there any other codes you know?

Hmm, I have a scanguage too. I have to look into that.

Jus,

I know what you mean about high MPG being stressful. I can average up near 60mpg, but it takes WORK! I mean really hard work. However, 57mpg isn't too terrible. 54mpg is a piece of cake.

My problem with getting even better FE is two-fold;

#1 I still have alot of hills and my speed is frequently at 55mph.

#2 I have to work out of my car. So, the AC is used (very sparingly, though) and I have to talk to customers and what-not. That takes away precious concentration from my driving.

That being said, I still love getting 55mpg minimum even if I am not paying close attention. I even had one very long drive at over 60mpg with the AC on. That was one of those "Smooth roads with few stops" kind of trips.

Matt

Wow, didn't realize that and where I work IS HOT in the afternoon. So I remember posting that using the AC actually helps to cool the cabin and also the battery as we know the vents to the batts are in the rear. True for the Energis?

Cooler air inside does keep the battery from heating up as fast.  I don't have a hybrid, so the only way to really be sure you're having this issue would be to read the battery temperature with a Scangauge or something similar.  The hybrid may not heat up as much as the Energi since it has the ICE running part of the time in normal operation.

It is an on/off situation.  Up until the battery hits the threshold temperature, it behaves normally.  It might be better for the longevity of your battery to run it at 98 instead of 100 F, but for me that doesn't seem to affect the operation, as long as it's below the 113/114 threshold.

Edited by viajero

What code do you use on the scangauge to get battery Temps?  I only have SOC, are there any other codes you know?

More codes are posted on the Energi forum.  Many of them didn't work for me.  Three interesting ones that did work were State of Charge, Battery Temperature, and Interior Temperature.

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/1293-scangauge-x-gauges-programming-c-max-ffh/

Matt, yeah...I too cannot fault this car for MPG but there will always be BLACK HOLE zones where no matter what you do, you WILL BURN gas, even to keep up with traffic. I just got back from a short 5.4 mile drive and got 43.6MPG but yet, if you consider the EV miles to overall, its still 75% but being uphill, I had to burn some gas...but far too many people will be too upset with this low number...not realizing that the overall for the day was a jaw dropping 64.2MPG over 62.9 miles for this work day.

Also, how is it that you and I can get these crazy numbers? I hypermile but what I do is pretty basic...and how does this not translate for other owners here aka mtb? Adair? Do you and I just happen to have more favourable terrain, have more surface streets? I use to drive > 50% freeway before my change in job and even then I was still 49+ with over 600+ miles easily climbing freaking mountains/grades as well (Nutz thread is a classic example).

I always thought you had a ton of 35mph zones especially with in-between towns as I recall you posting way back?

PS Everything else about this car is just stellar and way above the competition.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Matt, yeah...I too cannot fault this car for MPG but there will always be BLACK HOLE zones where no matter what you do, you WILL BURN gas, even to keep up with traffic. I just got back from a short 5.4 mile drive and got 43.6MPG but yet, if you consider the EV miles to overall, its still 75% but being uphill, I had to burn some gas...but far too many people will be too upset with this low number...not realizing that the overall for the day was a jaw dropping 64.2MPG over 62.9 miles for this work day.

Also, how is it that you and I can get these crazy numbers? I hypermile but what I do is pretty basic...and how does this not translate for other owners here aka mtb? Adair? Do you and I just happen to have more favourable terrain, have more surface streets? I use to drive > 50% freeway before my change in job and even then I was still 49+ with over 600+ miles easily climbing freaking mountains/grades as well (Nutz thread is a classic example).

I always thought you had a ton of 35mph zones especially with in-between towns as I recall you posting way back?

PS Everything else about this car is just stellar and way above the competition.

I can get 50+ MPG around town if I try, however, it's easy to see how people are getting sub-40 MPG if they don't try or drive in less than ideal conditions. Running the AC in trips of less than 5 miles, cold weather, and driving above 72 MPH are all sure-fire ways to get less than 40 MPG. Most commuters are on the highway 15+ miles, and if they drive 75+ MPH, they're almost certain to have a lifetime MPG significantly below 40. I'm only getting about 42 mpg even if I keep it to 67 (w/eco cruise) on the freeway.

I can get 50+ MPG around town if I try, however, it's easy to see how people are getting sub-40 MPG if they don't try or drive in less than ideal conditions. Running the AC in trips of less than 5 miles, cold weather, and driving above 72 MPH are all sure-fire ways to get less than 40 MPG. Most commuters are on the highway 15+ miles, and if they drive 75+ MPH, they're almost certain to have a lifetime MPG significantly below 40. I'm only getting about 42 mpg even if I keep it to 67 (w/eco cruise) on the freeway.

AC will definitely kill it. Glad to see you're mastering the car....shall I pen you down for the 600 Club in a couple of weeks time? ;)

keep it up Jus...almost there. you can do it.

Thanks mate. You know the SF valley so I am telling you this and right now, just driving around between Lankershim and all the way to Valley Circle, and Ventura and Devonshire (south/north) this is easily a 60+ MPG car - jus plain valley flat driving with lights and all. Outstanding :shift:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

WOW, Thanks!  I just wish someone would get these for the Cmax, but those three are the ones I am most interested in.

More codes are posted on the Energi forum.  Many of them didn't work for me.  Three interesting ones that did work were State of Charge, Battery Temperature, and Interior Temperature.

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/1293-scangauge-x-gauges-programming-c-max-ffh/

AC will definitely kill it. Glad to see you're mastering the car....shall I pen you down for the 600 Club in a couple of weeks time? ;)

Unfortunately not. My wife refuses to turn the AC off in hot weather and she drives it half the time. If I can get 500 miles in 11.5 gallons, I'll be pretty happy. I think my best tank is 480 miles, but we've done a lot more freeway driving than we usually do, so we've been in the low to mid 400s most tanks and a 41 or 42 mpg average (most of my fill-ups are only 10-11 gallons).

I run my AC all the time, when needed, set between 70 and 74. I get from 51 to 55 MPG on my trips. My lifetime average for 9,300 miles is 48.2 and climbing slowly since spring time. I also did not skimp on heat during the winter; bought the car November 2012. I have my windows tinted which makes the AC cool the car much quicker. With mileage 50 and above a few MPG's make very little change in cost. I figured 15,000 miles a year and gas cost at $3.50 and the savings of getting 65 MPG over getting 55 MPG in $2.83 per week. Well worth that. I understand big MPG numbers are fun to see and I drive to get mine as high as I can but I am not going to sweat (or freeze) trying to get them. Just my feelings, everyone has the right to do however they want.  

Charles

Much better run in this morning 78.9 mpg for the 22 miles. 750 mile mark has been crossed and still under 12 gallons. Projecting maybe 810-820 final because I still have to pay for this morning's run, got 2 hills to climb near home. Carrying spare gas ad well and took out my golf clubs/shag bag to save weight.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Cgul..gas is around $4 in the valley. Ca pays more for everything in this whacked out state 

I took that price per gal. out of the air as it was easy to figure. Gas here in the state of poor folks (Alabama) is $3.11 at Sams so that makes running AC even less expensive.

Tank for today only, still consistently high when I drive to work, lunch and back home including 2 hill climbs at the end which really SUCK. The gas ;)

9148330798_5f9d81e496_z.jpg

Not quite there but I know my miles & usage and definitely tomorrow, I should be over the 800 mark with still some more miles left in the tank.

9146106329_b86ce20931_z.jpg

If I am right, its still looking like 820-830 final. Hopes of 850 has faded even if I suck the vapour. I think the trouble is the trek home, best I can do is 58MPG and I typically average 54-55MPG. But around the valley and going to work, it's a KILLER KILLER HIGH MPG car.

Guys, until you learn to feather the CMax pedal, you do not know how GOOD this car is around the surface streets. I doubt the Prius can do these MPGs and keep up with the traffic.

And no, I have never been horned or fingered while doing any hypermiling as I try not to PO any rear drivers.

Unfortunately, my S4 is not the best at putting up pictures so will have to wait after I get home to post up the final mile.

Wish me luck for the last trek :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

That's a good question and hard to answer as I drive in peak morning traffic but in the right and speed range +/-3 or 5 in the 35, 40 and 45 zones. That gets me say 70+ morning and 55 evening and 63 at lunch.  Try this... Pulse up to 5 mph over, glide to speed limit and feather the minimum ev power to maintain the street speed. Tweak when u need to come off and recycle as needed. 

Wow, gone for a couple days, and there's like a million posts.

I commute on the freeway average speed 65 to 70 on average for 20 miles each way.

Every once in a while I take surface streets, but not too often.

The other thing I'm sure is not working in my favor is my route changes between underpasses and overpasses as I drive, so it's very up & down.  Maybe 42 is pretty good all things considering (and A/C), but I was really hoping closer to 45.

Jus, curious why your time is so high?  Do you sit in a lot of traffic?  

I just finished my tank, 647 miles and my time was 25 hours 20 minutes, you have 145 miles on me but also 13 more hours...

Yeah. All surface streets. If I am lucky I might get a run of 3 or 4 lights or if I am unlucky, stop on all 3 or 4 lights. Funny enuf, there is no advatnage of taking the freeways either due to the lovely congestions on the freeways. All peak hours travelling except lunch. Plus you can add about a min or 2 each time for me to put up the heatshield and then photograph the trip computers & summary.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

My wife told me today that she just realized that stopping for yellow lights is costing her mpgs,so maybe there's hope for her yet :)

You both should see who does the best MPG while staying within 3mph around the speed limit. That way - the competition would improve your driving and awareness, all of them good :drool: