Journey to 800+ Miles on a single tank in a C-Max Hybrid

Jus-A-CMax

Ditto SnowStorm's Jus' Awesome!  Congratulations Jus!  Take a break, grab a freeway and let her fly for a change of pace.

Nick

Thanks Nick. I did! I did! Came home and felt the breeze and engine ROAR. And I even socre a 47 MPG freeway WITH AC...gotta :wub2:  that. Sometimes the MPG :)  on you and next day :finger:  into the MPG pulp.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Jus great job, I'm so envious but 80+mpg, no way Jose for my CMax, I'm having enough trouble just maintaining 45 AvMPG.  I'm taking a road trip this weekend to Sacramento so I'll be doing freeways and I-5 all the way up.  So there goes my 45 AvMPG.  Has taken me two days of very controlled driving to pull out 45 and 46 all in town.

Jus great job, I'm so envious but 80+mpg, no way Jose for my CMax, I'm having enough trouble just maintaining 45 AvMPG.  I'm taking a road trip this weekend to Sacramento so I'll be doing freeways and I-5 all the way up.  So there goes my 45 AvMPG.  Has taken me two days of very controlled driving to pull out 45 and 46 all in town.

Hey mtb, don't be hard on yourself. It took me 17,000 miles and god knows how many hours behind this wheel to understand and "feel" the car and road. Sometimes, its akin to golf, you have to feel a shot rather than be technical with it,  the "do this-do that" a trait among most 100+ golfers vs someone in the single digits. Easy up, do what the other thread says and just enjoy the car!!!!!! Ok :)

Congratulations Jus!!!!

As a side note,  I did confirm this morning that if you have Nav and you run low enough on fuel that the fuel gauge turns red, the Nav will show every gas station on the map.  Which I think is a pretty cool feature! :happy feet:

Thank you, much appreciated you reading and following this saga. Yes, I see that - it is SUPER COOL! It even shows the Costco gas stations which is what I use all the time.

Keep :shift:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I printed off post # 1 of the 600+ mile club and took a couple of copies to my dealership yesterday. I had a bunch of salesmen hanging around, and boy were they impressed. And their eyes bugged out on stems and spun around a couple of times when I told them you had broken 800 yesterday and hadn't filled up yet!!! :drool:

I know your wife thinks you're nutz, but the rest of us are fans! I truly wish someone from Ford would contact you. This info could have a huge positive impact.........and take the sting out of some of the less than positive ones.

Congratulations!!! Now go shoot some golfs :hysterical:

Whaaat??? Jus!!! Holy Toledo. Good grief!

How awesome is THAT???

It's hot here- upper 90s but I am trying my best. Still hitting 450 tanks. Ugh. Summer lasts a looong time down south. But you are rocking it!

Congrats!!!!

You missed all the FUN RachelinLA. Yeah, its possible but as Matt said, just got to get everything right. Even today when I drove to work with a full tank of gas, it was still giving me ubber high MPG, I know, I know, I am suppose to be on a MPG-free vacation but its tough to turn off the FUN.

It was really, really 100+ heat in the valley and thank goodness I finished the tank before this major heat wave hit. The AC would have knocked the MPGs down to the high 700s. Its THAT hot.

Anyway, Maxine is going to get a nice wash and wax tomorrow, she been outstanding to drive and was actually giving me way, way more MPGs than I expected.

Gotta :wub2:  that... :drool:

Jus I was wondering about that since yeah it was high 90s where I was in Anaheim and Whittier so I could only imagine how hot it was on the valley. i don't envy you living their. I'm sure this heat helps the car warm up super fast for 1st cold start but kills the mpgs when using the A/C. it's supposed to be even crazier this weekend so good luck staying cool. what are your strategies to minimize mpg loss in high heat or is it futile? Recirc on A/C and set no less than 73?

BTW, you are a hero, rock star, legend now in the hybrid world for sure. and from a 1st time hybrid driver???!!!

Kudos and congratulations, we all bow down now and forever to the King no matter what. you have guts, patience (especially driving here in crazy California with whack jobs on every corner messing with your goal).

How many days was it in between fills to accomplish this great feat?

what was the longest individual one-way trip driven during this fill period?

Jus

Please...

buy some roses and take your WIFE out to dinner to celebrate but don't talk about the car at all. she deserves some special time putting up with your craziness with all of this.

rock on dude

:rockon: :worship: :worship:

It was really, really 100+ heat in the valley and thank goodness I finished the tank before this major heat wave hit. The AC would have knocked the MPGs down to the high 700s. Its THAT hot.

Edited by salsaguy

if you take a look at each of Jus´s screen shots he took every 100 or so miles, you'll notice that his avg MPG was pretty much the same each time, floating at around 62-63 mpg. to hold that so tightly (within 1 mpg) for 800 miles is even bigger accomplishment. that takes some serious planning and repeating routes (and lots of luck) for sure.

master of disaster, that's JusACMax!!!

Jus, you forgot to update the first post with what that 800 mile tank cost you based on your fillup price averaged over those miles. since 80% was in EV then you only really had to pay for 20% of those miles in ICE mode right.

"How far can YOU go on $20????"

Ford just got a new spokesperson for their commercial. they should do a reality commercial and show the screenshot. even better they should have been in the car the last 50s miles filming you and then filling up and showing the dash screen with the final numbers.

Ok its time to retire Jus's number in the rafters for all to honor for the rest of history.

Edited by salsaguy

salsaguy - your post had me ROFL. Thanks!

Very observant about the 100 mile pegs I left behind. I was gonna graph it but I am do that at a later time.

My thoughts on the AC is similar to Matt's. Set it to 70F and 1 to 2 bar fan and just maintain the battery high, if that means killing some EV feathering, do it. At the traffic light stop, turn off the AC since all you're doing is burning the battery @ double time with the AC on. The coolness in the car is good enough for the duration of the light. On some legs, I turn the AC off with fan on only. Minimal is the thought. But if you have the wifey there, FORGETABOUTIT. Luckily she avoided my car and I got a chance to drive my old car - the Jaguar :rockon:

I am very thankful to miss this killer heat wave as the last 3 weeks has been really, really nice except one day we had a sprinkle (the day I got 71MPGs). Yeah, I know. Ouch, poor me. But hey, little stuff like that really counts.

Jus, you forgot to update the first post with what that 800 mile tank cost you based on your fillup price averaged over those miles. since 80% was in EV then you only really had to pay for 20% of those miles in ICE mode right.
"How far can YOU go on $20????"
Ford just got a new spokesperson for their commercial. they should do a reality commercial and show the screenshot. even better they should have been in the car the last 50s miles filming you and then filling up and showing the dash screen with the final numbers.
Ok hits its time to retire Jus's number in the rafters for all to honor for the rest of history.

Ok, I'll put up the receipt. I topped it and it was 13.544 gallons :)  Costco, so you know that was reliable.

If you look up my fuelly, it was 6/12 was my prior tank, so its 15 days.

Longest trip was around 25 miles. Typical day was 64.4MPG average that includes 72+MPG to work, 55MPG coming home and if I do lunch or go to gym in the valley, that was average 60+ MPGs. Valley driving, major 40-45 roads that you know aka Roscoe, Nordoff, Victory, De Soto, Corbin, Coldwater Cyn etc.

Cost per mile was 6.6c per mile. So if Ford gave me $20, I would get 303 miles. I could do Mammoth with that...even my home to Las Vegas and with a side trip Pahrump for some golf....but at 40mph average speed my wifey would LYNCH me if she had to sit in my car all the way there at those speeds. Me, I could do it

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Very nice, Jus.  I just posted on the Energi forum, congratulating fwroberts on passing the 2,500 mark on the way to a 3,000 mile tank. And now I come over here and see you've broken 800 without a plug. Good driving all around.

2,500...that would be a WOW. With my current job and the miles, I think I can do that whole day and watch my fuel go stale. Good stuff and congratulations to fwroberts as well :)

Congratulations Jus!  You're an inspiration.  :worship:

Take a gander at my Jus-A-CMax review, I revamped it somewhat in the "Secret Sauce" section where I dropped some hints and tips, clarified some points and I hope that you and other can pick up on. If I can make jus ONE of you drivers a better driver, than life's good.

Also, let's share the knowledge, as I know one day someone here will break the 833.8 (hope its Matt) and good luck to 'em :rockon:  I think I can repeat this tank again as with this "MPG-free" (allegedly) I can scout and trial some new route. I found one that gave me 108MPG over 9 miles or 98 over 16 miles, where does it end?

Jus-A-CMax,

Congratulations on your epic feat.  You, Recumpence, and the other C-Max hypermilers are my heros LOL!  If I were in charge of Ford's marketing department, I would be dispatching a team right now to interview you for a commercial!

Hee....you would think so. I was breaking the 600s so easily and then Matt has been breaking the 700s so easily and now we're talking 800s and thus far, no interest from Ford Motor Company. I guess they are happy with touting their 571 miles a tank (based on their Facebook page).

I also posted my Trip 1 on Ford Social as well, feel free to go there and comment as well.

In the end, what does it matter. I don't own Ford and Ford doesn't own me and I do this MPG game for fun, for you guys & gals here (you know who you are) and to save money as well.

:)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Hey Jus',

Congrats. I would consider that a decent tank in my Energi with plugging in each night. With these kinds of numbers, you would easily break 250 MPGe if you had an electric, when the rest of us work to get 130+ MPGe. Thank you for showing us all what is possible. Now that you know how to do it, I can't wait to see you break 1000 on a tank.

Tom

Hey Jus',

Congrats. I would consider that a decent tank in my Energi with plugging in each night. With these kinds of numbers, you would easily break 250 MPGe if you had an electric, when the rest of us work to get 130+ MPGe. Thank you for showing us all what is possible. Now that you know how to do it, I can't wait to see you break 1000 on a tank.

Tom

Tom, thanks for looking, I appreciate that. One thing that Matt and I agree on, doing these tanks are not as easy as we make it look. This is a forum and we post up the numbers (at least I try to) to give you some idea of how it's going from the 100, 200....800. But you don't realize and Matt stressed this, it's really a combination of many things coming together that makes this possible, plus you don't see or feel the concentration to keep the MPGs rolling up, timing of the lights, watching for idjiots on the road especially in the morning commute (as salsaguy would atest for me) and windows up...thats the killer. Luckily this tank was done before this MEGA heat wave hit this weekend (its 105F here today and it was 102F yesterday) and really, to do those MPG numbers, you can barely afford to have AC on....thats not to say that doing moderately high MPG, you should not have AC on...but when you are running a marathon, you don't drink beer in the middle of the run, so to speak ;)

However, I am lucky to have found a way to get to work with a pretty consistenly high number, and coming back it a chore but its high enough for it all to balance out > 62 MPG per day. 833.8 is enough for me, let someone else have a crack at it. I am going to cool off and enjoy my car much more now since the heat is on... :) Who knows, after a while I get the bug again but as long as I get > 600 miles a tank (my original plan), I cannot be more happier with my :wub2:  C-Max called Maxine (aka Max to the wifey)

I know you have an Energi and I would have loved one but it is what it is. I would thrive on an Energi, given my job now.

Cheers... :rockon:

I would love to see what you could do with an Energi. I suspect 30 or more miles on a full charge. I am tempted to unplug and go hybrid only for a while to see what I can do without plugin. I have done several short (37mile) trips to another work location without battery and get around 43 MPGe, about what the Energi is rated, so I am sure it can do a lot better with a little thoughtfulness. I state MPGe because the Energi needs to burn off some of a full charge to make enough headroom for normal hybrid operation, so the first mile or so will always be electric after a full charge.

Anyway, I was looking on fuelly and came across this member http://www.fuelly.com/driver/leenanj/cmax. His record suggests a 1065 mile tank. Possible? Yes. Likely based on his other fuelups? Maybe not. If leenanj is on this forum, I would like to hear his comments.

Either way, your next target is set. I wish you luck, but I would understand if you choose to wait until the hottest part of the summer is over. Windows closed, no AC can get interesting in a heat wave.

leenanj - highly doubtful. Look at his 1st fuelly, guy doesn't even know how to enter his fuelly. I did think about 1,000 and it would not even be realistic for me to drive the car to work or use it for any purpose and still be ALIVE with the other drivers on the road, forget the finger, they'll RPG my car to get it out of the way. Even grannies would be a speed demon next to the guy who does this....but then again, I've been wrong... :salute:

JUS -

I was away over the weekend when the 8338 party started.  That is such an awesome accomplishment. Thanks for giving us all something to shoot for!!

Like others have said - take some time to just enjoy the ride - no peeking at the gauges for the next tank!!

Let er' rip for a change of pace.  You've certainly earned it!!