Journey to 800+ Miles on a single tank in a C-Max Hybrid

Jus-A-CMax

Jus, yeah I know the valley.Used to work in Northridge from 1998-2000 and drove from Glendale to Northridge on the 134, 101 and 118 all the time. don't go to the valley as much these days but I'm glad it's helping your Cmax do is best stuff.

You are Sooooooo close. It's yours for the taking

...but you wouldn't trade it for anything and wouldn't live anywhere else, at least for the time being. I'll take some quakes over floods, hurricanes, tornadoes and freezing cold snow/rain any day of the week.

..gas is around $4 in the valley. Ca pays more for everything in this whacked out state  :runaway:

Edited by salsaguy

Once in awhile, if there is horrible traffic on the highway, I can hit 55 mpg on the way home.  But since most of my driving is at 65 mpg, I'm happy to hit the mid 40s.  I'm still overjoyed with my mileage, but would love to see some of the numbers you guys get.

The 800 is broken!!!!!!!  :happy feet:

...but I am not done yet.  This morning's drive was INSANE....I hit 82.1 mpg with 0.26 gas used over 21.4 miles. A new PB for the exact same route I take last 2 week (after some route tweaking before that). Again, nothing special except a fool in your typical beaten up mini/caravan in this city deciding to cut me off by crossing a major arterial that I was in the middle lane coming to a light stop.  And then block me while he was at it...and then...had the gall to give me the dirty face after rightly deserving a good HONK. Morning Morons.

WAHOO!!!! Way to go Jus!! But you're not gonna post anything until you fill up, right?

Can't post pics at this time so tonight. 

Congratulations!!!  Make a palindrome number while your at it.  Will it be 818, 828, 838, maybe 848....???

Palindrome, what's that? oh...that's right, there's a thread for that  ;)

We'll see...

Thanks guys, check in tonight for the final tally :rockon:

Let's stop fooling around, who is going to break the 1400 mile barrier?

Lol, j/k, good job man.

Don't laugh. ..I think its possible.  If the Prii can do this with their 12 gallon tanks, the cmax can - imo - but with the right continuous loop and drivers who have a TON of patience as it probably mean 60+ hrs at a snail paced 20 mph or there abouts.  Don't look at me,  wifey will KILL me.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

i believe the time number is worthless to track as i believe it includes your accessory mode (listening to radio with car off) time as well, at least in my Passat it does, so might be the same in the CMax.

I don't think it's useless, it tells a story.  I think the extra time helps him get his mileage, if he is constantly accelerating & braking the average speed (not counting when he's stopped at a light or sitting in a parking lot) is lower than you'd think.  My commute is long periods of steady speed, think of a bell curve with a long flat line at the peak, Jus's 'flat line' is probably significantly shorter, thus average speed while moving is significantly lower.  Just off the top of my head my average commute to work I come to a full stop 3 or 4 times and slow down to turn 9-10 times over 12.5 miles.  I don't know the distance Jus drives on his daily commute, but I bet he comes to a full stop a lot more often then I do, thus gets more regeneration and his average speed is lower.  

You can see his EV distance is almost 80% of his total distance while my 647 mile tank was 65%, looking at the 600+ mile per tank list most of the others are significantly less than both of us.  

Edit:  Jus also gets ridiculous regeneration rates, easily double my personal best.  That can only mean more braking and more stopping, thus lower average speed.

Edit 2:  It's a shame the trip odometers don't show the regen sum for their duration, without going searching for a post I would bet that Jus gets 10% of his miles from regen alone.

Edited by SnitGTS

We always have this argument about that useless time. Its no indication of average speed since its so easy to convolute and frankly I am too tired to rehash the reasons behind them. I have already outlined the speed limits of the road I drive; sometimes I luck out with the lights and sometimes not. As for regen, terrain selection also influence regen, not necessarily lights alone and I pick my route carefully and tweaking.  Home to work is 21.4 and lunch may vary, plus add in the gym, shopping and all in the valley  :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Congrats, Dude.

This is a hugely difficult task. Yes, the conditions are one of the most important ingredients. However, what many people may not realize is the huge restraint required over such a long duration to get anywhere near these numbers. For instance, you cannot floor the car (ok, maybe once), you really cannot use the AC other than the occasional couple minutes to scare away the heat. You cannot be careless with braking. You MUST use the natural terrain to your advantage. You must coast whenever possible. You must do your best to time each light. You must pulse and glide whenever it is humanly possible..............

There is just SO much you have to do consistantly for the entire duration of the tank that this is a monumental accomplishment.

My heartiest congratulations to you, Man!

Matt

Congrats, Dude.

This is a hugely difficult task. Yes, the conditions are one of the most important ingredients. However, what many people may not realize is the huge restraint required over such a long duration to get anywhere near these numbers. For instance, you cannot floor the car (ok, maybe once), you really cannot use the AC other than the occasional couple minutes to scare away the heat. You cannot be careless with braking. You MUST use the natural terrain to your advantage. You must coast whenever possible. You must do your best to time each light. You must pulse and glide whenever it is humanly possible..............

There is just SO much you have to do consistantly for the entire duration of the tank that this is a monumental accomplishment.

My heartiest congratulations to you, Man!

Matt

Thanks Matt, congratzs from you mean a ton to me since you've been there when you were the first to scale this CMax Everest and broke the magical 700, and know the effort - and sweat- to push this great car we both proudly own and drive.  But I gotta say, the nudges from you really helped me and others to push more.

Someone may yet break the 850 or 900 still but we both recognize that is SUPER, SUPER tough and my hats off to anyone who does this.....so can I pen you down next week?  :)

So Jus, I'm dying to know what the final numbers are... Long Live The King :worship:

Your wish has been granted, see Post #1.

Other tidbits...this was my BEST very run from home to work...

9154358685_d0d711c9bf_z.jpg

This last day was UNBELIEVABLE in the sense that Maxine would not stop giving me these ridiculous MPGS. It was driving on empty, less than 1/2 gallons and wow - talk about the extra energy at the end of a Marathon (Adair - Asia would know this). That was what it was like. If I didn't have to work, I could have kept driving on but alas.

Snowstorm - enjoy your Palindriome and I expect you to keep that thread alive ;)

Thanks again to EVERYONE to cheer me on. It was hot, tiring and you can tell, it got frustrating there about 10 posts back but every little cheer helped me on.

The Ford C-Max totally :rockon:  on the surface streets.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

LOL, Ford would have to pay a ton of money for me to leave my new job, and as much as I hate the 9-5 job and miss my "freedom" of the appraisal job, the money pays the bill. To me, these high MPG tanks help save me MORE money no matter how "little" most people seem to trivialise the numbers, every penny counts.

Someone will break the 833.8 (hope its Matt) but for now, I have my K2 while Matt has Everest :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax