Yellow Wrench Icon

Barry M

I have a C-Max Energi which I love!  Yesterday though it gave me a little anxiety.  While I was going down a steep grade I was breaking moderately and when I started to go up again the yellow wrench icon appeared.  My wife checked the manual and it said that there would be a power reduction.  We did not notice and power reduction and drove the next 2 miles to are destination on electric.  When we got back in the car it took about 2 miles of driving and then the wrench icon was back.  I drove the car home then which was over 120 miles and noticed NO power reduction.  When I got home I plugged it in and this morning there was 22 miles on the range.  Took a little drive and it was back again.  Called the dealer and they were clueless. Any ideas anyone?   

Seems to me the best thing to do is take it to the dealer and see if there are any codes stored in the computer.  Obviously it detected a fault in the power train system.  I don't think it means there is reduced power, I think it means depending on the fault, there may be reduced power.

From the manual:

Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power
It will illuminate when a powertrain or high-voltage charge
system fault has been detected. If the indicator stays on or
continues to come on, contact your authorized dealer as soon
as possible.