Installed GasPods on liftgate

Sweet!, looks familiar the way you positioned the Pods.  I truly feel they are enhancing my performance, I hope you feel the same way?  All this week I've been driving very conservatively and over as level roads as I can find in Northern California.  I've seen my numbers rise from 42.1 to just today I hit 45.0.  I find that even on the freeway my numbers stay consistent.  Back in the summer when it was much warmer, that wasn't true.  As long as I can keep in the mid forties I will be overly happy.  We'll see what happens when old man winter really hits the area next month and into January.

Sweet!, looks familiar the way you positioned the Pods.  I truly feel they are enhancing my performance, I hope you feel the same way?  All this week I've been driving very conservatively and over as level roads as I can find in Northern California.  I've seen my numbers rise from 42.1 to just today I hit 45.0.  I find that even on the freeway my numbers stay consistent.  Back in the summer when it was much warmer, that wasn't true.  As long as I can keep in the mid forties I will be overly happy.  We'll see what happens when old man winter really hits the area next month and into January.

I will be installing mine today.  I feel the same way about old man winter :(

Has anyone who installed GasPods on a C-Max done any aerodynamic testing before installing them? Has anyone identified an aerodynamic problem befiore applying them to "fix" it?

I ask because I've done a tuft test, and it tells me you all are putting aero devices in the wrong place - no bang for the buck on this roof.

The C-Max is not your typical box-on-wheels. It already has a Cd of 0.30, and Ford did things to achieve that. Especially above the beltline, airflow is already benchmark, with very clean breaks on 3 sides of the back window. I see low-velocity, laminar airflow down the window, exactly what you want coming off the roof. Where's the problem?

Please, someone, anyone, show us data, before and after, defining a problem and how vortex generators fixed it. I've not seen such data from this vendor, nor have I seen anyone else's data on a C-Max.

I mean really... how hard is it to tape some tufts of string to your back window? You're only risking your unsupported opinions...

Have fun,

Frank

Has anyone who installed GasPods on a C-Max done any aerodynamic testing before installing them? Has anyone identified an aerodynamic problem befiore applying them to "fix" it?

I ask because I've done a tuft test, and it tells me you all are putting aero devices in the wrong place - no bang for the buck on this roof.

The C-Max is not your typical box-on-wheels. It already has a Cd of 0.30, and Ford did things to achieve that. Especially above the beltline, airflow is already benchmark, with very clean breaks on 3 sides of the back window. I see low-velocity, laminar airflow down the window, exactly what you want coming off the roof. Where's the problem?

Please, someone, anyone, show us data, before and after, defining a problem and how vortex generators fixed it. I've not seen such data from this vendor, nor have I seen anyone else's data on a C-Max.

I mean really... how hard is it to tape some tufts of string to your back window? You're only risking your unsupported opinions...

Have fun,

Frank

I will be working on this soon when I can get some help videoing it. It would be nice to get with another CMAX or FFH member in the Atlanta Area to help with some of the testing. :)

Also I taped up my hood before coming back from AZ and didn't see any improvement in MPG's, but I don't consider it to be a prefect test. If it improved at all it was definitely less than 1 mpg.

Paul

I taped up my hood before coming back from AZ and didn't see any improvement in MPG's

I was wondering about that.  After seeing your earlier post about this, I took a closer look at the hood, and it looks like there really isn't much of a gap between the edges and the C-MAX body.  So, I didn't see that this would amount to much.  On the other hand, since Ford is apparently going to make a change for 2014, I figured that the small gap must make some kind of difference.

At this point, I am going to wait for the 2014 model vehicle to come out, and then I will look at modding to replicate those changes.  This is also why I haven't yet jumped on the Gas Pod bandwagon.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

Yes, you will need help. My wife obliged me by driving for my test, but I'd have dearly liked to have the camera in hand, not tied to the chase car. My video is also inverted - the dash cam is designed to dangle from above, not mount on a tripod from below.

And plan several hours to tuft your car. I was amazed... I used about 400 tufts, and I only covered rear wheels back! Had to cut another 80... twice! Use a bright contrasting color; I did white string on the glass, dark yarn on the rest fo the car, but bright RED would have been better.

Another member has offered to try and edit my video; if he's successful, I'll post the snippets - they're only 10 sec. long. The full vids are on YouTube, but unlisted. I can send you the URL if you'd like...

HAve fun,

Frank

Me, too. I was an interstate guy through and through until this car came along. Now, it hurts to get less than 40MPG! I had planned to wait for nice weather to return before testing things for high speed improvement, but I got impatient, and we've had an unusually nice Fall so far... I'll make hay as long as the sun shines.

But, despite my impatience to test, I will delay reporting some things (like results) until I see a stable pattern or can no longer take relevant data (hopefully for reasons less catastrophic than Jus). Once the snow starts, the next experiment starts - snow tires!

I will also admit that the GasPods are a lot easier on the eyes than some of the other VGs on the market. If only they had data behind their product claims, I'd be testing them too.

HAve fun,

Frank

tb3d.jpg

x1b7.jpg

iwga.jpg
First HWY test trip will be tomorrow.  I will try to get a feeling from that round trip (30+ miles).  I usually was getting 48.X consistently when it was warm.  Plummeted to around 42.X in the colder weather.  If nothing else, I like the visual enhancement :)

EDIT: I won't start officially tracking miles for the test program until next tank of gas, so everything from now until then is speculative, with weather being an unknown variable that will play a big factor.
Edited by 11StiLimited

Looks great, the black pods blends well with the black trim in the roof and the antenna.  I assume yours are magnetic?  My black ones (which I'm not using) are adhesive model.  My magnetic ones are painted plantinum white to match the car.  Love them and great for added looks.  Not to mention the functionality.

salsaguy - posted links on tuft test thread... not hiding anything but my video production skills.

11STI, I like the flat black on white look...

But I think you all are putting them in the wrong place. The tuft test looked great over the entire glass area, with attached flow down the back window to the bottom edge - tail light level - where the problems (and so opportunities) start. I know I'm among those who have looked at data and judged there was a benefit, but my skepticism remains. A little personal testing has only strengthed it (see the other Gaspod thread).

Such is the nature of aerodynamincs... and remember, we're starting with a Cd of 0.30... lots more potential to degrade aero than to improve it!!!

HAve fun,

Frank

• 1 month later...

I came across, and read this entire thread looking for FE tips.  I just bought my Cmax Friday, Dec 27, and at 65 mph I track around 40mpg as long as I'm in ECO (cruise control).  Short trips I've had 46-69.  The hwy miles could use a bit of an uptick I think.  So I'm curious as to the effect of the Pods.  Has anyone, with the new placement, been able to get an improvement quantified?

Thanks

Crusty.

I came across, and read this entire thread looking for FE tips.  I just bought my Cmax Friday, Dec 27, and at 65 mph I track around 40mpg as long as I'm in ECO (cruise control).  Short trips I've had 46-69.  The hwy miles could use a bit of an uptick I think.  So I'm curious as to the effect of the Pods.  Has anyone, with the new placement, been able to get an improvement quantified?

Thanks

Crusty.

I don't think anyone has gotten more than 1mpg, I think I got about one MPG. :)

Paul

I just looked at locating the pods down lower on the tailgate after reading this thread.  But don't see any potential mounting surfaces that are flat enough for the pods near the tail lights.  Assuming there is any validity to moving them down lower.  I did remove two pods from their positions at the trailing edge of the roofline which were positioned at the outer most position on either side from the center of the car.  I placed them just below the rear glass and above the tail lights.  This was about the only place I thought they might stay positioned.  I don't expect this to have any impact, but we'll see, I'm just getting started on a new tank of gas.  Stay tuned.

I just looked at locating the pods down lower on the tailgate after reading this thread.  But don't see any potential mounting surfaces that are flat enough for the pods near the tail lights.  Assuming there is any validity to moving them down lower.  I did remove two pods from their positions at the trailing edge of the roofline which were positioned at the outer most position on either side from the center of the car.  I placed them just below the rear glass and above the tail lights.  This was about the only place I thought they might stay positioned.  I don't expect this to have any impact, but we'll see, I'm just getting started on a new tank of gas.  Stay tuned.

Brother Mike - the magnetic ones won't stick on the side...they need the perma-ones (hence my PM to you as this was what I wanted to try).

Do the gas pods help maintain a clean liftgate?  I have owned a number of Hatchbacks and the CMax seems to accumulate the most amt. of dirt in the back.

I had a dust spoiler for my 1992 Legacy Wagon and the liftgate was always clean.

Others said it does but for me, it does not. It will reduce it somewhat but at the end of the day, theres still dirt there. For me, nope.

@ MTB... Nice Christmas lights.. .LOL

Several changes can add up over time, just like for adding HP, porting-polishing, exhaust, intake, yadda yadda... So....   Pods might at 1 mpg.  That could be the first change.  I keep reading about active grill openings and a 13B07 software upgrade.  I'm assuming the Software can only be upgraded by the dealer; however, I don't want to bring it to those yutz's unless I need to.  Is there a way to determine what my version is?

What is the grill mod?  I'm not finding anything definitive on that, then again, I'm at work when I read this.

Another question would be LED lights, externally.  Any noticeable improvement to efficiency with changes to LED tail lights, etc.?

Thanks

Crusty