Life apres 3.5.1 upgrade

catsailor

Well to those that followed my after upgrade I was having a really hard tome getting +44 mpg once the upgrade was done. I know that my car was re-learning my routes and driving habits, that was 500 miles ago and after about 300 miles on the same tank of driving at around +44 mpg I noticed that my car gets into EV quicker now and my mpg over the last 200 miles has brought my total mpg to +47.4 with +500 miles driven on this tank. I am convinced that the upgrade required the car to re-learn my tendencies and throttle feel etc.  So I am back on the sub 600 miles driven to the tank of gas. Once I accomplished 600 I feel no need to risk burning up a fule pump to constantly hit this mark.....BUT man to I applaud those of you that do this.

Now the group that is doing +700 I challenge you to come to Washington DC and drive our beltway and congested roads and highways :)

Could not be any happier with a car that gets +45 mpg each and every tank

Well to those that followed my after upgrade I was having a really hard tome getting +44 mpg once the upgrade was done. I know that my car was re-learning my routes and driving habits, that was 500 miles ago and after about 300 miles on the same tank of driving at around +44 mpg I noticed that my car gets into EV quicker now and my mpg over the last 200 miles has brought my total mpg to +47.4 with +500 miles driven on this tank. I am convinced that the upgrade required the car to re-learn my tendencies and throttle feel etc. So I am back on the sub 600 miles driven to the tank of gas. Once I accomplished 600 I feel no need to risk burning up a fule pump to constantly hit this mark.....BUT man to I applaud those of you that do this.

Now the group that is doing +700 I challenge you to come to Washington DC and drive our beltway and congested roads and highways :)

I also deal with Boston traffic and get low 40s in it. I do agree with the stopped traffic. At least I get out of Boston 2-3 times a week to get my mpg up though.

Well to those that followed my after upgrade I was having a really hard tome getting +44 mpg once the upgrade was done. I know that my car was re-learning my routes and driving habits, that was 500 miles ago and after about 300 miles on the same tank of driving at around +44 mpg I noticed that my car gets into EV quicker now and my mpg over the last 200 miles has brought my total mpg to +47.4 with +500 miles driven on this tank. I am convinced that the upgrade required the car to re-learn my tendencies and throttle feel etc.  So I am back on the sub 600 miles driven to the tank of gas. Once I accomplished 600 I feel no need to risk burning up a fule pump to constantly hit this mark.....BUT man to I applaud those of you that do this.

There may be recalibration of position sensors and so forth (that is an ongoing process) that could have been lost during the upgrade and took a few driving cycles to adjust. This could affect FE and emissions (and the reason for the on-going process).   But this has nothing to do with learning - re-learning driver habits and tendencies.

If you have any facts that the C-Max learns tendencies of the operator, please post the references / links.  AFAIK, the only route data saved are GPS coordinates of the most frequent destinations such that if EV+ is enabled, the PCM will  try to use EV mode for the last 1/2 mile or so.

CatSailor, nice going and sweeet you have a Platinum White SEL.  So got you covered here on the west coast in an identical ride.  3.5.1 is proving to being a good upgrade for me I've been getting low to high 40's regularly and into the 50's at times with my city driving.  Before the upgrade I struggled to maintain 40.0 and often fell into the high 30's.  CMax Life is much sweeter now.

Edited by mtb9153

armored - just get them to replace the gps. the 3.5.1 does not fix an errant GPS as I found out (thanks to ArizonEnergi) so I headed to Galpin and talked to them about it and got to as high as the Service Manager of Galpin Ford. Even after the replacement - they were hesitant, cautioning me not to be too optimistic but you know, its been working like a charm especially on the surface streets et al. I seriously think there was a bad batch of gps as theres no explanation for some people with 3.1.3 gps working perfectly while others like mine going on drugs.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

was at the dealership last week and they mentioned there wasn't any TSB and I would have to come in again and reschedule so they can take a closer look at it. 

Depends on when you r car was built

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1496-navigation-gps-fix-tsb-13-3-11-fix-for-unable-to-locate-vehicle-etc/

If it was built after that date then have them replace the module

Depends on when you r car was built

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1496-navigation-gps-fix-tsb-13-3-11-fix-for-unable-to-locate-vehicle-etc/

If it was built after that date then have them replace the module

thanks it was jan 2013 and before, mine was built in march but the GPS is still way off - even one of their "Service" man rode with me and it happened as he witnessed it. i even had pictures of it on my phone.

the dealership is old and outdated, no shuttle service or even wi-fi. place is really old-school