1,400 miles cross country, driving with the flow of traffic

Jmonty

My trip from Colorado to Michigan yielded 36.5 MPG. (1,400 miles in about 23 hrs, with some idling time) I used ecocruise as much as possible, and went from Colorado to Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, and up to northern Michigan. Most of the time the speed limit was 70 MPH, besides leaving Colorado and in Nebraska where it was 75 MPH. As you can see I now have ~3,400 miles on my car, so perhaps the trip back will be better.

Generally I drove 70-80 MPH, just slightly over the speed limit. Which was the flow of traffic. I only have ten days off of work and was traveling with a one year old and my dogs so I wanted to get done as quickly as possible.

I didn't draft because that's an unnecessary risk, especially when my family is with me. My wife drove a few hours, and she doesn't pay attention at all to the unique features of the car.

This was not unexpected but I was still disappointed. It would have been nice to get 40+ mpg on a realistic highway trip, but where I mainly use my C-Max it performs more closely to what is advertised.

I know after reading this forum that the MPG ratings aren't true to life but I think a lot of people will be disappointed on their first long distance trip in a C-Max.

IMAG0496_zpsfb6a8755.jpg

On the plus side I get to drive around northern Michigan for about a week generally at under 60 MPH, where I will enjoy great MPG.

Edited by Jmonty

I avg a tad more on pure interstate legs (37-38mpg) with eco-cruise but if I can drop it down to 65mph I can get into the low 40's depending on conditions.   I tried an experiment on one long trip (4+hrs each way). Going there was interstate @ 75mph and return was on rural highway through several small towns.  We stopped to eat each way so the time factor was a wash but I picked up 5mpg on the rural highway route (70mph max but tried to keep it 65mph and below).  

With a one year old?  BTDT.  The quickest route possible, fuel economy be damned!   :)

I recently did a long trip (about 2000 miles) on my brand new C-Max. My experience was similar to yours. I kept it about 3 or 4 over the speed limit most of the time and ended up averaging 41 mpg. There were a couple of long stretches that I pushed it up to about 79 mph, and in those stretches it looked like it was getting in the low 30s. I got about 42 mph if I kept it to 66, maybe that will go up to 45 when I have 10,000 miles on the car, but the 47 mpg highway rating seems totally unachievable, unless you average around 55 mph, which is maybe what the EPA testing really does.

At least you can take the C-Max up to 80 mph without having to wear earplugs...

I recently did a long trip (about 2000 miles) on my brand new C-Max. My experience was similar to yours. I kept it about 3 or 4 over the speed limit most of the time and ended up averaging 41 mpg. There were a couple of long stretches that I pushed it up to about 79 mph, and in those stretches it looked like it was getting in the low 30s. I got about 42 mph if I kept it to 66, maybe that will go up to 45 when I have 10,000 miles on the car, but the 47 mpg highway rating seems totally unachievable, unless you average around 55 mph, which is maybe what the EPA testing really does.

At least you can take the C-Max up to 80 mph without having to wear earplugs...

Take a look at: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/611-epa-highway-mileage-test/

"For the highway test, the average speed is 48.3 mph with a top speed of 60mph, no stops."

"The EPA adjusts this test with additional tests, one is for "High Speed" which includes a short little time spend at 80 mph, like only 20 seconds.  Still the "High Speed" test averages only 48mph"

Guys, its all about speed, load....AND HVAC use ...AND terrain.  

You cannot expect 47MPG or low 40s with all 4 factors in play and then also tout you traveled at traffic speed of 75+ mph; throw in some 1000+ ft elevation..36mpg sounds right. And no FE driving so you're probably ICE gunning down hills/downslope anyway at 70+ mph.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

My trip from Colorado to Michigan yielded 36.5 MPG. (1,400 miles in about 23 hrs, with some idling time) I used ecocruise as much as possible, and went from Colorado to Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, and up to northern Michigan. Most of the time the speed limit was 70 MPH, besides leaving Colorado and in Nebraska where it was 75 MPH. As you can see I now have ~3,400 miles on my car, so perhaps the trip back will be better.

Generally I drove 70-80 MPH, just slightly over the speed limit. Which was the flow of traffic. I only have ten days off of work and was traveling with a one year old and my dogs so I wanted to get done as quickly as possible.

I didn't draft because that's an unnecessary risk, especially when my family is with me. My wife drove a few hours, and she doesn't pay attention at all to the unique features of the car.

This was not unexpected but I was still disappointed. It would have been nice to get 40+ mpg on a realistic highway trip, but where I mainly use my C-Max it performs more closely to what is advertised.

I know after reading this forum that the MPG ratings aren't true to life but I think a lot of people will be disappointed on their first long distance trip in a C-Max.

IMAG0496_zpsfb6a8755.jpg

On the plus side I get to drive around northern Michigan for about a week generally at under 60 MPH, where I will enjoy great MPG.

One also assumes you did not have your windows rolled down since you had a full load in your car with dogs(2) wife and a child so did you alos have A/C running. So let me see:

Fully loaded car

A/C possibly running

speed set at 70-80 mph

don't have a clue what good ecco cruise would do you over those speeds

And you got 36.5 MPG

My opinion is you probably were never in EV mode at all so why would you expect the car to act as anything other than a gas engine vehicle.

I am not trying to defend your results or condemn them but I would be happy getting these results under the conditions you drove your C Max. Hybrids don't shine on the Hwy when driven at speed, you want to get great Hwy results buy a TDI and pay up for premium diesel and if your not lucky you can also pay to replace the Urea needed to wash the exhaust :)

Ya, I'm not upset with those numbers. If I would have just purchased the car and read nothing here I would have been furious. My previous family car would only have gotten like 14mpg, lol, so the Cmax is still phenomenal, imo.

Mainly I wanted to share these stars for anyone that is looking at the C-max for going cross country

I hope to start making cross country trips next year.  Last year, when I made a trip to New Hampshire and back in my Murano, never speeding by more than like 2 mph on the whole trip, I got the Murano's all-time high of 26.5 MPG.

By the time I am on the road with the C-MAX, I am going to include taking my time as part of those trips.  So, I'll be happy going at 67.5 mph, using ICE High, and getting great FE while enjoying the ride.  I can't wait to see what kind of long term numbers that will yield! :drool:

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

Hey, don't feel too bad.  I only average 33mpg on my way to work (1.5 hours). 

~ 10 miles city (35mph-45mph)

~ 39 miles Interstate (75mph-80mph)

~ 33 miles 'highway' (65mph-70mph)

ECO cruise set the majority of the time with limited hard acceleration.  Here's a rough track I take to work. LINK

jmonty, with your total miles at 1400 but you only had about 120 miles in EV mode, thats only about 11% and so your lower mpg number is expected. to get 45-55 mpg you need about 50-60% in EV mode, as with user jus-a-c-max.

just curious what is your brake and acceleration and cruise scores?

this car was tested by the epa at below 65 mph to get the 47mpg rating. so traveling on the highway at 75-85 mph your are using the gas engine only and not taking advantage of the battery in the car.

a diesel is the best car for long range driving at high speed where a hybrid is best at around town driving at speeds <50 mpg.

use the right tool for the right application. I'm sure 38 mpg is still better than the last car you owned.

unfortunately right now there is no super car that does it all and gets great mpg at all speeds. but someday there will be a gas+ diesel+ hybrid car to cover all three modes of usage. it will be very expensive for sure so the savings might be outweighed by the initial costs. i know VW is working on this now for an upcoming SUV. stay tuned..

Edited by salsaguy

It was my understanding that Ford actually performed the tests.

Additionally, when you buy a car that is advertised at 47mpg then aren't you buying a tool that's supposed to be right for the job?

Also, isn't the comparison between the FE now and a previously owned vehicle not really applicable here?

This is a common misconception that is constantly regurgitated over and over again. However, it is not true. It is true that the engine will always run at that speed. however, it is not true that the electric system does nothing at that speed. Above 63mph, the engine runs constantly. However, the battery charges and discharges at high speeds to suplement the engine while you drive. This does add some mileage to the car.

It is true that the hybrid equipment helps mlre at lower speed, but to say it does nothing at higher speed is ot true.

Matt

jmonty, with your total miles at 1400 but you only had about 120 miles in EV mode, thats only about 11% and so your lower mpg number is expected. to get 45-55 mpg you need about 50-60% in EV mode, as with user jus-a-c-max.

just curious what is your brake and acceleration and cruise scores?

this car was tested by the epa at below 65 mph to get the 47mpg rating. so traveling on the highway at 75-85 mph your are using the gas engine only and not taking advantage of the battery in the car.

a diesel is the best car for long range driving at high speed where a hybrid is best at around town driving at speeds <50 mpg.

use the right tool for the right application. I'm sure 38 mpg is still better than the last car you owned.

unfortunately right now there is no super car that does it all and gets great mpg at all speeds. but someday there will be a gas+ diesel+ hybrid car to cover all three modes of usage. it will be very expensive for sure so the savings might be outweighed by the initial costs. i know VW is working on this now for an upcoming SUV. stay tuned..

Edited by Recumpence

my bad.sorry didn't mean to say it didn't help them.sure they have to drive some city miles to get to and from home and on/off the highway.

but i was speaking in generalizations since their EV contributions are so low to their mpg numbers. sure they aren't 100% highway miles, but might as well be.

In the August issue of Consumer Reports they have a small article where they compare the steady-state fuel economy of a small assortment of vehicles at different speeds. Driving at 75MPH reduced the fuel economy anywhere from 27 to 32% compared to driving at 55MPH. The cars tested were a Honda Accord, a Toyota RAV4 and three different versions of the Ford Fusion.

The Fusion Hybrid was one of the cars that was least affected by the higher speed.

They also tested the effect of having bikes on a roof rack. Just having an empty rack reduced the economy 12%. Two bikes plus a wind deflector dropped the economy about 36%. These tests were run at 65MPH.

my bad.sorry didn't mean to say it didn't help them.sure they have to drive some city miles to get to and from home and on/off the highway.

but i was speaking in generalizations since their EV contributions are so low to their mpg numbers. sure they aren't 100% highway miles, but might as well be.

No, thats not what I am saying.

Even if the miles are done 100% above 63mph, the electric system still helps.

When on the expressway, as you desend a hill, you will see the battery charging, Then as you climb a hill, the battery will begin discharging. This means the electric motor is aiding the car while the engine runs at high speed, therby minimizing the engine power required climbing hills and using hill desents to recover the excess energy. So, even as the engine runs non-stop at expressway speeds, the electric system is still cycling on and off thus aiding the mpg numbers on the expressway.

Matt

recump, yes it is assisting but not as much as some folks (not me) would like it to. funny that these same folks were JUSt fine getting 15-25 mpg in their former cars but when they only get 40 mpg in their CMax it's an outrage :)

Edited by salsaguy

In the August issue of Consumer Reports they have a small article where they compare the steady-state fuel economy of a small assortment of vehicles at different speeds. Driving at 75MPH reduced the fuel economy anywhere from 27 to 32% compared to driving at 55MPH. The cars tested were a Honda Accord, a Toyota RAV4 and three different versions of the Ford Fusion.

The Fusion Hybrid was one of the cars that was least affected by the higher speed.

They also tested the effect of having bikes on a roof rack. Just having an empty rack reduced the economy 12%. Two bikes plus a wind deflector dropped the economy about 36%. These tests were run at 65MPH.

Stobro - any mention of the temps? Seems to me, ths is one area that appearts to lack any description in their report and that probably lead to poor MPGs for the CMax & FFH - now, I don't subsribe to them (nor do I intend to since this debacle).

recump, yes it is assisting but not as much as some folks (not me) would like it to. funny that these same folks were done getting 15-25 mpg in their former cars but when they only get 40 mpg in their CMax it's an outrage :)

I got 36.6MPG driving from Woodley Lakes back to San Fernando via the 405 at more than the speed...AC was full blast, 2 mountain bikes and a wifey (ONLY reason the AC was on).

I was so dissappointed. :cry:

Devastated. :gaah:

How could I live with myself... :swear:

<insert "russion roulette" emoticon that didn't make the list, thanks Adair>

Still 50.9 on the Avg MPG with 350 miles on the tank and 1/2 to go. I guess that :airquote: saved me... ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

the trip back was slightly worse because there was a lot of heavy rain and wind:

IMAG0638_zps0e16a738.jpg

again, most of the trip was at 3 MPH over the speed limit, roughly 68 MPH, 73 MPH, or 78 MPH.

plus we slept with the ICE running intermittently for an hour or so for heat.  also my wife drove more the return trip and i didn't hassle her about her driving much, for my peace of mind.  she tends to brake sooner than needed instead of coasting it out.

the route back was the same.  northwestern Michigan, lower peninsula to I-80, across Illinois, Iowa, and back to southern Colorado via I-25.

the speed limit in Nebraska and Colorado was mostly 75 MPH, a lot of MI was 70 MPH and Iowa was  a mix of 65 and 70.  

i experimented slightly with slowing to about 63 MPH at times to use the battery but that seemed to cause the ICE to get worse MPG when it kicked back in going carefully up to 73 MPH.  it wasn't a very thorough experiment, i had just reset the MPG counter and tried it 3-4 times on flat ground. 

to reiterate, i'm not upset with these numbers.  just sharing.

i am a bit upset that i didn't see another cmax the whole time, but a group of teens were staring pretty hard when i left a parking lot in EV/stealth mode   :)