Ford to Offer Free Updates to Boost Hybrid Vehicle Efficiency

I got upgrade installed today and was able to get 86mph in EV with GPS.  At those speeds you can see the battery discharging, I doubt you could go a mile with full battery. It seems like it goes into EV faster at those speeds. FYI I have 16 600+ mile tanks and working on 17th.  The best I can hope for with mostly HWY driving is 650mi/tank. I currently have about 32K on CMAX. BTW I never take covers off.

Paul

I had the upgrade done last week and I see about a 10% increase in Highway mileage.

Drove to my sons house in New Hampshire (from Ct) and using cruse control set to 65-67 MPH I would normally get 40 MPG.

Now after the upgrade on the one trip I got 44.3 MPG.  I noticed no issues with the AC, car had it on the whole trip and it worked fine.

Battery kicking in and engine shutting down on down hill mostly.

I know one trip isn't an exhaustive test but it is about 300 miles round trip and like I said, I saw about 4+ MPG.

I'll take it!

Jus

you'll be dancing salsa style for a while, well not as nice since its only an SE not and SEL Premium like mine but still a big difference. it's like a limo in the back seat.

Crossing finger for you that your FE and other updates go week without issue.

can't wait to see you post your first 100 mpg tank :)

Galpin is going to have Maxine ALL WEEK   for the 13B07, Headliner and my AC issue... :gaah:....but I get to drive a Passat SE in the interim. Chance to check out this German chic, and immediately shes a weighty beast to steer around the dance floor....kinda like dancing with a BIG MOMMA  :drop:

Jus

you'll be dancing salsa style for a while, well not as nice since its only an SE not and SEL Premium like mine but still a big difference. it's like a limo in the back seat.

Crossing finger for you that your FE and other updates go week without issue.

can't wait to see you post your first 100 mpg tank :)

Its a 2013 SE and I think the car has been treated badly, there some sort of noise on the drivers front but I have no time to return the car. The car is a very heavy steering and I think my CMax has MORE power. View is pretty good for a sedan and eventhough I am bias, I still prefer my CMax as an overall BETTER PACKAGE. Sound system was pretty good for an SE though.

i have the fender sound system in my Passat and yes it sounds good. sorry to hear it was a hard driven car and won't give you much pleasure. hope you don't have to drive it to long.. it's a lot bigger than my 2004.5 so took a little getting used to it.

Edited by salsaguy

Yeah, I was so careful to park it in the garage..funny enough, the front length is the same as the CMax!! but it longer though, obviously. Its a good looking car and to be honest, if I didn't know the drive of the CMax, I would have put this car up as a possible. Its pretty spacious inside as well. This is my first Passat but the weight of the steering was a shocker to get used to. Not as precise as the CMax either.

Man, I am SPOILT!!!!!! :headspin:

might have been a issue with your manner SE. the sel may have more stuff/options to get a better ride/steering feel. mine feels pretty good to me.

if we ever meet one day I'll let you try mine to compare....if i can be lucky enough to just touch the holy grail Cmax  :)''

Edited by salsaguy

For those that went in for the 13B07 fuel efficiency update and it did not update successfully, Ford has issued new instructions to the dealers for the installation:

Aug 14 2013 6477 -Field Service Action 13B07 - Special Instruction

Certain 2013 Model Year C-MAX, Fusion, and MKZ Hybrid Vehicles - Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module Calibration. When updating the PCM and SOBDM-C modules as part of FSA 13B07, use IDS R85.05 or R86.01A with the VCM I or the VCM II. Do not use IDS R86.00 or R86.01.

Thanks ceemax71 for the update on new instructions.  I am taking my SEL back into to Kelly Ford of Melbourne tomorrow morning to do it again.  

First time in for the update on Monday, then testing it on the highway gave me bad feeling when it would not go in to EV above 65 to 85mph.

I did update sync to 3.6 myself, no issues.

..Had this update done on our '13 Fusion Hybrid a few weeks ago.  Was already very happy with the mileage, never did understand why I  saw so many people saying it wasn't good.  I was averaging 47-48 mpg driving to work and back (26 mile drive, 'bout 80% highway), as long as I kept highway speeds to 62 or less to let it use EV mode when it can.

Now, with the update, I'm averaging 49-50 mpg AND I can run a bit faster on the highways when getting it!  I used to have to keep highway speeds to 62 mph to get the good mileage (and get passed a LOT, haha).  If I went over that, it would drop down to around 45.  Now, I set the cruise at about 65, keep up with traffic a bit better, and STILL get 49-50 mpg.  You can count me as one that is VERY happy with this update.  Great job, Ford!!   :)

No, it will not hold EV mode very long at much more than 62 mph.  Like already said, its not designed to do that.  But, it will stay in EV mode at 65-70 mph fairly well on flat roads or slight downhills.  This update allows you to utilize EV mode a lot more on the highway without having to limit speeds to 62.  Thats what I like about it.

As I'm sure its already been said, there are several tricks to getting this kind of mileage, most of which basically boil down to keeping it in EV mode as much as possible, braking slowly to maximize battery recharging, and staying off the gas pedal as much as you can.  If you are a 'leadfoot' driver (like my wife) that has to be the first away from every stoplight and the last one to start braking for a stop...You will pay for that in fuel mileage, and will never see the mileage Ford advertises for the hybrids.  LOL, any time my wife drives the Fusion, the mileage average immediately drops to the mid or low 40s!  I get back in it and drive it, and its back up near 50.  Driving style makes a HUGE difference, especially with these hybrids.

Anyway, if you haven't got the update done, you need to.  Its a great improvement, IMO.  I think its a game-changer for Ford, will really push their hybrid models above and beyond the competition.

Will

For mine, ETIS Vehicle Summary says:

Outstanding Field Service Actions

13B07 - POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) CALIBRATION

This text is in a pink box on the left side of the screen.  I'm calling the dealer tomorrow.

ETIS is not on the list of acronyms.   Please define.  Thanks.

ETIS is not on the list of acronyms.   Please define.  Thanks.

Go to   http://www.etis.ford.com/

I think the "E" is for European.  The rest is explained as:

"Welcome to FordEtis – the Online Technical Information and Services website from Ford."

More importantly, select "vehicle" from the grey bar at the top and then enter your VIN.  You will get back info on your vehicle.

Got the upgrade last week.. The engine is a lot louder and now the car absolutely hates hills... Sounds like its in 1St gear... Normal?

That sounds like the way mine is now. Just drove it to Virginia over the holiday and was getting passed by semi trucks in the mountains. Got a a hole 28mpg for the trip 400+ miles. I JUST LOVE THIS UPDATE!!!

FYI

Ford says that this is normal. I've turned everything over to the Ohio Attorney Generals office. That's one of the perks working here. They have a couple of people that work there with C Maxes without the update. They are going to test those cars against mine and prove that the update jacked mine up.

What does the anouncer say at the begining of a fighting match? LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!!!

That sounds like the way mine is now. Just drove it to Virginia over the holiday and was getting passed by semi trucks in the mountains. Got a a hole 28mpg for the trip 400+ miles. I JUST LOVE THIS UPDATE!!!

Did you check MyView  RPM's to see how fast the ICE was going? Should be less than 2000rpm's on the level. I'm assuming you were going less than 70mph.

Paul

I'm in the same boat.  My dealer told me it will take another 3000-5000 miles to adapt.  Since we're already 11,000 miles into ownership that doesn't make me very happy.  We were getting 40-42 mpg before the update (in non-winter).  Now we're at 36-38 (obviously with occasionally good runs that exceed that).  WTF........ :-(

I'm in the same boat.  My dealer told me it will take another 3000-5000 miles to adapt.  Since we're already 11,000 miles into ownership that doesn't make me very happy.  We were getting 40-42 mpg before the update (in non-winter).  Now we're at 36-38 (obviously with occasionally good runs that exceed that).  WTF........ :-(

Is this for real?  Where did they get that number?

Not surprising that they told me that; it's consistent with what we were all told when we bought the cars: "It will take 3-5K miles before the adaptive driving capability has really kicked in.  I have subsequently talked to the Ford Mother Ship.  A technician in the hybrid group told the CSR the same thing.  The Adaptive Driving was wiped out; the reduction in MPG is not unexpected.  But things will improve.  It does not explain why some of us are experiencing this and other aren't.......The CSR and I agreed that I would monitor the situation for 30 days and then report back.  Of course, if I can't climb a hill I'm not going to wait 30 days...........I'm driving to Maine and back on Friday so that will be a good test.  I've gotten 47PMG on that run (keeping it at 60-62.  Will be interesting to see what happens.......