How a eCVT Works (Video)

HannahWCU

WARNING:  Very Technical Discussion Ahead! :gaah:

Being an Engineer, I have long wondered exactly how the eCVT in the CMax works.  I have read articles and seen diagrams, but until now, I have not been able to really understand how a single planetary gear set can output variable speeds from two input sources (electrical, motor and mechanical, engine).  I know how a planetary gear works. But how this is applied in a Hybrid Drivetrain I could not figure out. Until I found this video.  This video is how a Gen3 (and newer) Prius works, but I am sure the Cmax is similar.  Its a long video (30 minutes) but very informative.  I hope some of you find this as interesting as I did.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello HannahWCU.  I watched the video in its entirety.  My wife remarked on its noted soporific effect.  As an electronic engineer, I found it mostly interesting, but would have enjoyed a bit more description of how the planetary gears worked.  Thank you for finding this, though.  I do feel as if I know a bit more about how the hybrid transaxles work.  Of course, I'd love to see exactly how the C-Max works, with C-Max components - and a more dynamic presenter ;)

The video is good (it's been posted several times before) but the Doc link shows a physical layout of the HF35 on Page 8 and as such it is much easier to see how things actually work. The video guy needs a layout such as slide 8 to augment his demonstration and then it would be a "great" video.  

I simply remember that sun gear is connected to generator (MG1); ICE is connected to planet carrier; the traction motor (MG2) is connected to the ring gear and final drive.  Then, it's fairly easy to visualize what happens / needs to happen to start ICE, drive the car in full EV, drive in ICE only, charge the battery, or drive in split mode (both negative and positive), coast (with regen) and so forth.