TSB 13-7-10 - 12-VOLT BATTERY DISCHARGED - WILL NOT HOLD CHARGE - RADIO WITH 4.2-INCH DISPLAY ONLY - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 6/21/2013

This only applies to vehicles without MyFord Touch (MFT).

FORD: 2013 C-MAX

This article supersedes TSB 13-04-13 to update the Part List/Service procedure and vehicle build date.

ISSUE:

Some 2013 C-MAX vehicles equipped with a 4.2 inch display radio only and built on or before 6/21/2013, may exhibit a 12-volt battery that is unable to maintain a charge or becomes discharged.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
  1. Reboot the scan tool.
  2. Install a battery charger.
  3. Reprogram the front control/display interface module (FCDIM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 85.05 or 86.01 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
    1. Be aware that electrical accessories may operate during programming and should be considered a characteristic.
    2. Reset FCDIM display time and date, refer to the Owners Manual, Audio System section.

Thanks for the post! Do you know how to identify if your car is in the affected population? Do TSBs like this show up on ETIS?

It applies to all non-MFT C-Max's built before 6/21/13.

To be sure, check with the dealer if you have had a discharged 12-volt battery.

Since it is just a TSB and not a recall, the dealer can only do it if you have actually had 12 volt battery problems.

I don't believe TSB's show up on ETIS.  This TSB popped up on OASIS.

ceemax 71

1.)  Do you have any information about what this new TSB is addressing?  I believe the May 13-5-01 TSB allows for harder charging of the 12v battery from the large one and I have had that one installed.

2.)  question #2.   In Ohio we are required to have our lights on when it's raining.  Since the Cmax doesn't have Daylight Running Lamps, I have to reach down and manually turn on the headlights.  When I pull into the garage and turn the car off, the head lights go off, I go into the house and "life is good".  Eight hours later the car is dead.  The reason for the dead battery is that the amber side marker lights stay on and the only warning signal you get is the same pleasant chime you hear when you insert the key to start the car.  When the lights are left on, the car will chime 2 or 3 times when you open the door and stop as soon as you close the door.  I'm so used to the chime sound that it's easy to ignore and having the amber lights on is normal if you have a home delay setting programmed in. If you are not listening for it, you are in trouble.

so here's the question..... what's Ford's logic in turning off the big lights when the key is turned off but leaving the side marker lamps on, which slowly drains the battery?  They probably have a reason, but for me, a more obnoxious warning sound would get my attention and save frustration over a drained battery.

from Ohio

ceemax 71

1.)  Do you have any information about what this new TSB is addressing?  I believe the May 13-5-01 TSB allows for harder charging of the 12v battery from the large one and I have had that one installed.

2.)  question #2.   In Ohio we are required to have our lights on when it's raining.  Since the Cmax doesn't have Daylight Running Lamps, I have to reach down and manually turn on the headlights.  When I pull into the garage and turn the car off, the head lights go off, I go into the house and "life is good".  Eight hours later the car is dead.  The reason for the dead battery is that the amber side marker lights stay on and the only warning signal you get is the same pleasant chime you hear when you insert the key to start the car.  When the lights are left on, the car will chime 2 or 3 times when you open the door and stop as soon as you close the door.  I'm so used to the chime sound that it's easy to ignore and having the amber lights on is normal if you have a home delay setting programmed in. If you are not listening for it, you are in trouble.

so here's the question..... what's Ford's logic in turning off the big lights when the key is turned off but leaving the side marker lamps on, which slowly drains the battery?  They probably have a reason, but for me, a more obnoxious warning sound would get my attention and save frustration over a drained battery.

from Ohio

There is a thread about this here: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1901-auto-headlights-with-auto-wipers-do-yours-work/?hl=%2Bwipers+%2Brain

ceemax 71

from Ohio

1. I believe this TSB addresses a problem with the SYNC display sometimes not going into sleep mode after the ignition is turned off (causing a battery discharge)

2. I am not sure why the side marker lamps stay on unless it is to let you know that the headlamp switch is still in the "on" position.  The manual is not very clear on how the exterior lighting works.

It applies to all non-MFT C-Max's built before 6/21/13.

To be sure, check with the dealer if you have had a discharged 12-volt battery.

Since it is just a TSB and not a recall, the dealer can only do it if you have actually had 12 volt battery problems.

I don't believe TSB's show up on ETIS.  This TSB popped up on OASIS.

(Emphasis mine)

I would try to get the TSB done anyway.  I see no point it risking a dead battery.  I would rather cross my fingers while talking to service than when I need the car.   ;)