Ruminations on Recalls, Rentals and Missing my C-Max

spyburn

First and foremost, an apology.  When I first started looking at the C-Max, I read everything on here and when people would post about dropping off their car for service, I would think, "People...it's just a car!"  To all of those people I humbly and sincerely apologize.....I dropped my C-Max off this morning and I miss my car!!!

To the dealer's credit, when I dropped it off they told me this was the first FE update and the first headliner recall they've done and they arranged for a rental at Ford's expense.  They wanted to make sure they did it right and did not want to inconvenience me.  Not so much to the dealer's credit was the rental they provided.  A Nissan Frontier with 10k miles on it...but it smells like it's been rode hard and put up wet.  I mean really....who left their sweaty gym socks in  the fresh air intake???

Why do the brakes suck? (I'm going to have to retrain myself to brake properly when I get my C-Max back - even after driving this POS for only a day!) Where are all my cool displays?  Where is the voice control paddle?  Where are the controls for everything?  And where are my badge and parking pass??? Oh crap! 

I am the harbinger of doom when it comes to new cars.  It's a given that when I purchase a new car, there will immediately be a safety recall.  My co-workers call me the albatross of cars.  So it was no surprise when I started hearing about the recall.  It is, however, annoying when people ask me what kind of car I'm thinking about next so they can run the other way!

Oh yeah...one more apology is in order.  The dealership hired a shiny new kid...waaaayyyy green behind the ears.  I handed him my bike helmet and told him these were the parts for the recall.  The poor kid was so new he just stuttered at me until I let him off the hook.  I'm so hard on the newbies!

Not sure when I will get the C-Max back.  I will post pictures of the headliner fix (For real...not the bike helmet) when I get it back and update folks on changes in FE.

Spyburn, feel the same way when I rent,  Miss the space, controls and features, the Cmax is quite a car.

Ford is standing behind the product, I am sure they are still burning over the last place JD Power rating - but making improvements shows the right signs to owners.

Hope all goes well

Spoiled here too. Wring my hands a little leaving ours off at the dealer this morning; looked back at it three times to see that it was OK, and not being abused. Previous visit, could not let them just do their thing', had to watch the whole event. Hope you are reunited soon; ours got a fresh bath & carefully tucked back into the garage when we got it back this afternoon. (Seriously jeopardizing my man card here) Nick

Spoiled here too. Wring my hands a little leaving ours off at the dealer this morning; looked back at it three times to see that it was OK, and not being abused. Previous visit, could not let them just do their thing', had to watch the whole event. Hope you are reunited soon; ours got a fresh bath & carefully tucked back into the garage when we got it back this afternoon. (Seriously jeopardizing my man card here) Nick

I know....on Tuesday with the engineers, they kept telling JAZ and me that we didn't have to stand there in the bay....we could go wait in the lounge.......uh uh, ain't happen in'! No thanks, we're fine right here. And yesterday I almost drove by the dealership to check on it.

Maybe today....

And now I'm there too........where's my keyless entry? You mean I have to use a KEY to start this thing? Where's the rear camera? the proximity sensors? the smooth acceleration? My leaves? MY ALIENS? :headspin:

I have become so spoiled by my C-MAX.... :sos:

When I left my C-Max to get some lot damage repaired a mere week after buying it (I didn't notice it until after I'd signed on the dotted line), I got a Chevy Equinox for a rental. While there are some good things to be said about it, the shifting was painfully lurchy. Having a 6 speed transmission, it went through 4 shifts between 0 and 35 - I was beginning to dread stoplights. 

Also I will admit that I kept instinctively reached to push the start button every single time I got in. Remember, I had driven the C-Max for less than a week! It is certainly easy to get used to.

Just called my Dealer in Auburn, WA to get the tailgate, ford sync and fuel mileage upgrade and a safety fix for the head liner.  They said they would need the car for 3 days since they were having trouble getting the electronic upgrades installed properly and they needed support from the Ford Factory.  I found that explanation a little scary when a fuel mileage upgrade can screw up the cars computer so other stuff doesn't work right.  After talking to the Service Manager we agreed that if the car was working O.K. then it might be a good idea to wait until Ford cleans up their software download process.  Evidently other dealers are also having troubles with software gremlins.  I am now in a software hold.

GDPirie,  I think the software updates/upgrades are not necessarily the issue.  In some cases, it may be that the dealer is just getting up to speed on staff training for these.  I had our C-Max in to Pierre Ford in Lake City (NE Seattle) last week at 8:00 am and it was done by 1:30.  That included three software updates:  13A01 (Sync 3.5.1), 13B06 (Rear Liftgate), and 13B07 PCM Update (Fuel Economy).  Alternatively, your dealer may have been waiting for head liner parts, and blaming it on software.

No problems at Pierre Ford in Seattle - great service department (so far).

Sure hope the engineers at Ford have the fuel economy update right.  I was up over 50 mpg for the current tank, and now it has dropped back under 50 mpg. Tested the PCM software upgrade on the freeway today mostly around 60mph (60 zone), but cruising at 63-65 in EV under eco-cruise when the speed limit was at 70 - came in around 47.5 mpg for 80 miles. (Our low miles Max not 'broken in' yet)

Best of luck.  Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea