Noticed some differences......

JohnnOhio

from displayed  info and physical gasoline in the tank.

First I was on my way home the gas gauge turned red says low feul. Trip computer says 11.6 gals used should have 1.5 gals left,  but miles to empty says 10. I get 40-45mpg on the highway at 70. Should have said at least 60 to empty.

Filled the tank 12 gals exactly. Display off by .4.

556 miles on 12 gals and mpgs  said 45.2. Do the math should be 46.5 

Don't know what to trust. I live in the country and am not 1 block or 2 from a gas station so have to plan ahead. Don't want to be walking.

This is what I get too. And most people on here have reported the same.  I think it was in a thread someplace. 

I understand why Ford under reports MTE (miles to empty), it keeps people from running out of gas.  However, why ALSO under report fuel used?  Fuel used should under report also. ptjones in this thread (http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1321-i-ran-out-of-gas-today-1386gallons/) ran his CMax out of fuel. Pump indicated 13.86 gallons, while CMax reported 13.09 gallons used. 

I know that they under report fuel used so that indicated MPG will be higher, but I still think they should OVER indicated gallons used.

Every car I've owned in the last 13 years has conservatively reported FE and MTE.  In my 2 VWs, I could adjust the displayed FE calculation via a VW diagnostic tool in 1 % increments.  I never did check whether the MTE changed but I doubt it.

Also, Ford acknowledges an "empty reserve" which is included in the advertised capacity = indicated capacity + empty reserve capacity. So, there is a reserve when the fuel gauge and miles to empty show zero. Ford says don't depend on the empty reserve because It can vary.  Why have irate customers when they run out of fuel with 1 MTE. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...