2014 C-max will have new body panels, oil, etc

jhritz

Along with the mileage downgrade, there was an announcement that the 2014 C-max will have aerodynamic upgrades, a change in the oil used and other mods.  I wonder how many of these will be available to retrofit existing C-maxes??  I doubt the gear change will be available.  I also wonder if having a more efficient drive ratio will mean a less responsive car?

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/08/20130815-ford-1.html

The upgrades build on powertrain software updates Ford announced last month for the 2013 C-MAX Hybrid. Changes include:

• Gearing changes that result in a more efficient transmission drive ratio;

• New hood seal, front and rear tire deflectors, A-pillar moldings and the addition of rear lift gate deflectors to improve vehicle aerodynamics; and

• New engine oil with reduced friction.

Ford expects the enhancements to the 2014 C-MAX Hybrid will improve customers’ on-road fuel economy, especially at highway speeds. Fuel economy label testing has not yet been done on the 2014 model.

Edited by jhritz

to answer your questions the aero mods will probably show up as an after market product by some third party company or may not cause with +30,000 C Max 2013 produced their may not be enough demand for such a product.

The tire deflectors I envision as some sort of wheel covers versus spoked wheels that have crappy aero performance and I think the 40 mpg Focus has these already. The aero lift gate deflector may find its way as a bolt on Ford replacement. The grill dams I see that happening too. Engine oil may go synthetic cause what can they do to re-invent that :)

All in all most of these changes won't amount to 2-3% hwy improvements IMHO and the cost to change out will never see a payback.

I for one would rather have seen some kind of solar panel to charge the battery when parked in the sun...that would have been very nice.

I for one would rather have seen some kind of solar panel to charge the battery when parked in the sun...that would have been very nice.

Although it has been unusually rainy, cloudy and cool here this summer I would still love to have a solar powered ventilator (as is available as an option on the Prius) that helps keep the parked in the sun car cooler - no superheated air in the passenger compartment or AC ducts.