13B07 UPDATE TO POWER TRAIN CONTROL MODULE.

ANTHONYSCOTT

I PURCHASED A 2013 FORD CMAX ON APRIL 30,2013. I WAS ESTATIC WITH THE MPG I WAS GETTING. I DROVE IT AROUNT TOWN FOR A FEW DAYS. THEN I MADE THE LONG TREK BACK FROM ARIZONA TO ILLINOIS, MY MPG KEPT INPROVING. WHRN I ARRIVED HOME MY LIFETIME AVERAGE WAS 39.6 AFTER 2300 MILES. MY MILEAGE DROPPED TO 39.5 AFTER SEVERAL MONTHS IN ILLINOIS I WAS STILL VERY SATISFIED SINCE MOST OM MY LOCAL TRAVEL AVERAGES LESS TNAN 5 MILES ONE WAY.

ON AUGUST 16, AT 5284 MILES, I TOOK THE CMAX TO THE LOCAL DEALER AND HAD THE TIRES ROTATED AND 13B07 INSTALLED. I BEGAN CHECKING MPG AT THE END OF SHORT TRIPS, TO MY AMAZEMENT IN STEAD OF BEING 33-36 MPG THWY WERE BELOW 30 MPG. MY LIFETIME AVERAGE AT 5485 MY LIFETIME AVERAGE IS 39.2 MPG.

I TOOK THE CAR BACK TO THE DEALER AND ASKED 13B07 BE REMOVED AND THE PREVIOUS PROGRAM PTCM BE RESTORED, THEY REPLIED THAT THEY COULDN'T RESTORE THE PREVIOUS PROGRAM BECAUSE THE SYSTEM WOULDN'T ALLOW A BACK LEVEL PROGRAM TO BE INSTALLED.

I CALLED FORDS CUSTOMER RESPONCE, AND WAS TOLD THAT 13B07 WAS INSTALLED AND I SHOULD TRACK MY MILEAGE FOR 30 DAYS.

I HAVE READ COMMENTS FROM OTHER WEBSITE MEMBERS SAYING THAT 13B07 DIDN'T WORK FOR THEM THE FIRST INSTALL AND THEY TOOK IT BACK TO THE DEALER A SECOND TIME FOR 13B07 INSTALL.

DOES ANYONE ELSE A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE AS ME OR AM I UNIQUE.

ANTHONYSCOTT

Hello Anthony,

I am by no means an expert on this, but I did have the 13B07 firmware update applied.  I have noticed that the internal combustion engine (ICE) stays on a little longer when I first start driving - I believe this is a change to better warm-up the engine.  If all you are doing is taking short trips, perhaps the percentage of time the ICE is running has increased, thus causing your mileage to drop (?)

What do you see if you take a longer trip, once the engine is warm?  My commute is 28 miles (one way) with a few mild hills, and I am seeing a pretty consistent 43-44mpg.  This is with the wipers, lights, and climate system operating . . .

Good luck in figuring this out!

Why are we YELLING?   Or does using all caps make the message more important?    Dang newbs......     :)

Seriously, follow the advice and monitor your results over a month or so.

My mother is not so computer savvy and she uses all CAPS in some of her emails.  She has no idea it is interpreted as yelling, and your text (ANTHONYSCOTT) seems rational and sincere.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_caps

With the advent of the Bulletin board system, or BBS, and later the Internet, typing messages in all caps became closely identified with "shouting" or attention-seeking behavior, and is considered very rude. As a result, netiquette generally discourages the use of all caps when posting messages online. While all caps can be used as an alternative to rich-text "bolding" for a single word or phrase, to express emphasis, repeated use of all caps can be considered "shouting" or irritating.

For me, I'll interpret "30 days" to mean after a significant number of miles and types of driving.

I read that one way to tell if the update even was done is to see if you can go into EV mode above say 65 MPH.

My mileage since the update has been very good, however, at the same time I also started to drive differently after reading this:

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2599-my-2c-ev-driving/

and I also tried a tank of premium gas.

I am seeing the same degrade in MPG as the original poster. I was averaging about 44-45 around town. Now it's more like 36-38. Temps have been in the 80s, which is pretty ideal for the C-Max, or it used to be...I thought this update was supposed to help with short trips???

Give it time folks.   I got the update around the same time as other first adopters however I immediately went on a 2500 mile week long trip afterwards.  So, I am probably 5-6 tanks up on everyone else and I'm seeing no issues.  49.6 mpg on this morning's commute which jives with my spring trips but I'm using more A/C right now.  Hwy is about the same.

I USE CAPS BECAUSE THEY ARE EASIER TO READ. I AM NOT CONCERNED ABOUT INTERNET PROPRITIES, ONLY THE SIGNIFICANT DROP IN MPG

Why are we YELLING?   Or does using all caps make the message more important?    Dang newbs......     :)

I USE CAPS BECAUSE THEY ARE EASIER TO READ. I AM NOT CONCERNED ABOUT INTERNET PROPRITIES, ONLY THE SIGNIFICANT DROP IN MPG

Is the car running differently versus what you observed before the update?  For example JohnnyOhio was having intermittent problems where the car didn't seem to be behaving normally.

The easiest way to check if the update installed correctly is to drive 65MPH or above and release the throttle to see if the car will go into EV mode.

YESTERDAY I DROVE TO A NEARBY CITY AND RETURNED. I SET THE ECO CRUISE TO 70MPH ON THE 50 MILE INTERSTATE TRIP, I NOTICED THAT THE ICE DIDN'T EVER START DURING THE WHOLE 50 MILES. ON THE RETURN TRIP OVER THE SAME ROUTE AT 60 MPH THE ICE RAN VERY INFREQUENTLY SHOWING 80% TP 90%

EXCEPT AFTER THE ELECTRIC MOTOR ENGAGED (EV MODE). THE RESULTING MPG WAS 40.?.  MY DRIVING METHODS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN CONSERVITATIVE, AMD WITH THE CMAS IT BECAME MORE CONSERVITATIVE. THE SERVICE PEOPLE AT THE LOCAL FORD DEALERSHIP SEEMED UNINTRESTED IN MY PROBLEM. 

Hello Anthony,

I am by no means an expert on this, but I did have the 13B07 firmware update applied.  I have noticed that the internal combustion engine (ICE) stays on a little longer when I first start driving - I believe this is a change to better warm-up the engine.  If all you are doing is taking short trips, perhaps the percentage of time the ICE is running has increased, thus causing your mileage to drop (?)

What do you see if you take a longer trip, once the engine is warm?  My commute is 28 miles (one way) with a few mild hills, and I am seeing a pretty consistent 43-44mpg.  This is with the wipers, lights, and climate system operating . . .

Good luck in figuring this out!

YESTERDAY I DROVE TO A NEARBY CITY AND RETURNED. I SET THE ECO CRUISE TO 70MPH ON THE 50 MILE INTERSTATE TRIP, I NOTICED THAT THE ICE DIDN'T EVER START DURING THE WHOLE 50 MILES. ON THE RETURN TRIP OVER THE SAME ROUTE AT 60 MPH THE ICE RAN VERY INFREQUENTLY SHOWING 80% TP 90%

EXCEPT AFTER THE ELECTRIC MOTOR ENGAGED (EV MODE). THE RESULTING MPG WAS 40.?.  MY DRIVING METHODS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN CONSERVITATIVE, AMD WITH THE CMAS IT BECAME MORE CONSERVITATIVE. THE SERVICE PEOPLE AT THE LOCAL FORD DEALERSHIP SEEMED UNINTRESTED IN MY PROBLEM. 

I'm confused with your post.  So ICE was off the entire 50 mile trip or EV never kicked in?

It sounds like you need to find a better dealership.  Unfortunately, I had to go through 2 dealerships to install updates on my C-Max because the first one was poorly trained or didn't understand the process because they couldn't install the updates correctly.

Got mine updated yesterday.... Did an interstate test today...EV with higher MPH!= woohoo it worked!! I've done my best to avoid the interstate over the last 11 months.. However, It seems like ICE runs a lot rougher. Plus my car now seems underpowered when climbing the neighborhood hill.. About to make a beer run on a stretch of road where I always get 50MPG+.. So we will see what happens. Hope the update doesn't impact my city MPG negatively.

CAPS or no caps? Honestly I don't care, but it did make the original post easier to read..