C-MAX Fuel Mileage. What are you getting?

robertlane

Ok, guys and gals, could I have some reassurance. Second tank, I am at 570 miles.  Range is listed at 50 miles.  My tank gauge is well below 1/8th tank but still white.  Am I safe to go the last 30 miles? 

I haven't pushed it like some of the long range pros here but I've run MTE (miles to empty) to 0, near it or a bit past on numerous occasions without running out.  Just be prepared for quite a song and dance on the left screen.  It does its level best to scare you into a filling station!  Not sure of the order but the gauge goes yellow, gas pump appears, gauge goes to "zero" then turns red and goes back up (simulating a reserve tank?) nasty-grams appear, bells chime etc.  I pretty much ignore it all now and just watch MTE.  Much simpler.

Took my first long trip.  3800 miles Minnesota to Florida to South Carolina back to Minnesota.  Averaged 41.1 MPG.  Car loaded with luggage and family of 4.  Drove at posted freeway speeds 65 - 70 MPH.  Used cruise control extensively.  Ignored any driving technique.  Very happy with the results.

Pretty darned good !!!

And I suppose you were running the A/C quite a bit.  Correct?

Well I say "Paul is brave"!  40 miles past empty - that's a long way on fumes!  I do wish the indicator would go negative - miles past "empty".

I think that is a good idea. I watch trip gauge fuel used and when I get pass 13gal. I get concerned, the highest I've seen is 13.77gal. and it took 13.9gal. , but I have seen 1 gal. difference though. :)

Paul

I'm sure i can hit the 600 mile club on this tank, just my first fillup BTW. I am wondering if I shouldn't push it to the 700 mark? Still have a bit over half a tank full.

I'm shocked at the MPG's I'm getting. I live in a very hilly part of NE PA and see drastic elevation changes everywhere I drive. I bought this car just a week and a half ago expecting to average 40ish!

I'm rather pleased thus far  :love_shower:

post-2283-0-71528500-1405128824_thumb.jpg

Looking great Wnuk, yes the C-Max seems to love rolling hills - 47+ MPG (50 + actually) can be like falling off a log (jus "don't read the memo" as a friend says).

Here is one for our friends in Canada - nothing special, mostly freeway from Seattle to Deep Cove, BC and back.  (Hmmm, guess that is the impossible 47 MPGs - :secret: , and that was with two half hour EV sucking border crossing idles !)

Magic ?  :future:  Yes, C-Max Magic - allowing the car to do it's thing ! (no hypermiling, just driving speed limits or a scosh under, 2-4 passengers, mostly ECOcruise)

Nick

post-328-0-23027200-1405186772_thumb.jpg

Edited by C-MaxSea

What's with the Liters and Km? We don't use that in the US, are you trying to confuse us? :)

Paul

He was in Canada!  My problem with that mode is you only get 2 measly digits for mileage - like 5.0 instead of 47.0.  Come on programmers!  Another digit can't be that hard.  It takes forever to get a change on your long term averages.

Killed more time today driving slow.  93.1 miles (53.6 EV) at 45 mph for 64.0 mpg.  Country roads with the occasional stop/turn, no AC or rain.  Relatively flat but with about 200 feet of elevation gain.  Too slow - past the point of diminishing returns.  Would rather go 50 and get 61 mpg (but you need more hills)! :stirpot:  Same roads at 55 mph give about 54 mpg.  Certainly looks like about 5 mpg for every 5 mph.

Regarding Fuelly.  They had an update recently and needless to say, it's rather twirked up right now.  Not to discourage anyone, but .......ARGH ! I have been e-mailing them trying to get them to 'clean it up', but with no real luck. 

The problem is their attempt to differentiate everything, and be inclusive.  As a result, some of our cars are 'mis-categorized' for one reason or another; not to mention that it does not show the mean numbers any more.  I was not able to find our C-max or Adair's C-Max in the 'right fit grouping' for our mileage results.  After some travail, I was able to get ours re-categorized and into the 'group' where it belongs. 

To get ours in the larger more appropriate grouping, I edited the car profile like this:  Sub Model - other, Engine - other, Fuel Type - Hybrid (Gas), Cylinders - L4

This moved me back into the largest (most appropriate) group of 241 vehicles, segregated by Engine/Fuel Type Hybrid Gas L4 (275) and Submodel Other (341).

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/c-max/2013?engineconfig_id=13292&bodystyleconfig_id=&submodel_id=-1

Sadly, they are trying to segregate the SEs from the SELs in spite of the fact that they have identical drivetrain & body.  Adrian, you have entered yours 'correctly' (Hybrid SEL), but it ends up in the very small (wrong) group because of Fuely's inappropriate subdivision there, and you are excluded from the largest/best grouping.  They have a bit of a mess.  If you do not find your C-Max in the list of 241 above linked, you may want to edit your car profile.

Side bar to this, is that Fuel Economy.gov is still working well, but lacks as much input from all of us.  I would encourage logging there as well if you can.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

...To get ours in the larger more appropriate grouping, I edited the car profile like this:  Sub Model - other, Engine - other, Fuel Type - Hybrid (Gas), Cylinders - L4...

How? I see no facility for altering an existing car's charactreristics.

Frank

Frank,  In 'My Garage', and clicking on Porter, Porter will come up.  Under the heading Porter will be '2013 C-Max ..... (Edit Profile)'.  Click on 'Edit Profile' to change Porter's particulars.

BTW, Porter is currently safely in the 'group of 241', hopefully 243 when Adrian & Adair edit theirs. :)

(now, if only we could get Jus to add his last 20 tanks, we would be safely over 40 MPGs, & climbing)  ;)

Edited by C-MaxSea

I must have gotten in before the change. Now, if I tell Fuelly it's a "Hybrid SEL" I get the wide range of unavailable engines. I wonder who has the "Hybrid Gas L6?" Imagine a 3.0L in this drivetrain!

And I don't see a way to make any changes and still get back to what's listed now. Any selection under "Submodel" and the correct "Hybrid Gas L4" option disappears.

My peave is that they split my account when they upgraded. I have two e-mail addresses, personal and work. They dropped all the data from the more-appropriate personal address account . I now have this one place that uses my work address, which will retire one day, and that day is coming...

HAve fun,

Frank

Yes Frank, there is some goofiness in the selection options.  But, like I said, you are safely in the largest sample and don't need to do anything.  For those who are 'outside' of the large sample block (Adair & Adrian), you can follow the note above to change your car profile settings and move into the larger sample of 241 individual C-Maxs.  Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea