C-MAX Fuel Mileage. What are you getting?

robertlane

I have had my 2013 C Max since the end of Aug. 2013, with a total of 2500 . The first four fill-ups, most during peak summer heat with maximum air conditioner usage, were around 40 mpg around town and some freeway driving.  I figured this amount by dividing the actual miles driven by the gallons used.

The next fill up was 37 mpg with roughly half the miles in EV mode. The last fillup mpg was 33. These last two fillups were following no air conditioner usage, maybe 1/3 time using the heater.  The percentage of EV miles is declining from roughly 1/2 to 1/3. I don't know why.

The more I drive, the worst the mileage gets. I was told the mpg would rival a Prius, around 45 around town and a little less on the highway. NOT SO. 

So, how do I get the EV usage up? Is there some button to punch? I like driving the car, but feel wary and uneasy about the dropping mpg.  Also, I bought this model b/c I understood it would get as good of mileage as a Prius.

Is there some EV+ designation to get into for max mpg? Any ideas appreciated.

Welcome to the forum Thursday49 :)

Firstly, the CMax and even the almighty Prii which has 10+ yrs of development are ALL sensitive to the cold. Yet, both will also bask in the glory of the summer heat. In the cold, both have to have warm up cycles mainly for the catalytic converters which need to be in a certain temperature range to operate efficiently. Now, the Prii is suppose to have a better management of the ICE (internal combustion engine) warmup cycle than the CMax so it suffers less in the cold by burning less gas but given that they have 10+ years head start, they should better be.

Coversely, using AC is the killer but also using the FWA (force warm air) is also just as draining. So are you to freeze in the cold...? HELL NO. Like all the limited resources of the world, YOU decide how much you want in MPG and how much comfort you want in the cold or hot. My wife drives with me in the summer, AC is on and I lose MPG but she wins. I drive, it's just the fan. In the cold, the heated seat is a 1st choice for most of us Maxers here and then its the FWA.

Now, is there a magic button for MPG in CMax? No. The CMax is simple.

You decide how much power or MPG savings just by how you press the accelerator. If you stomp it, it drives like a rocket car gunning from red light to red light, if you want.

Or if you are smarter and want to save some money for a capucino in the afternoon, "feather" (softly)  the pedal to use EV to start from 0 to 12 mph and then kick in the ICE from 12 mph to 38 mph and then letting the speed drop to 35 mph and then feather the pedal to kick in just enough EV to keep you in motion. But I hear you say "it sounds complex!!!" right?

Lets look at it this way, it took me 3 to 5 days to completely learn to snowboard and I was a Class 1 skier. Hybrid driving is similar, its a new skill set you develop and WAY LESS painful than falling on a snowboard. Its all about management of your driving skills and wary of the road conditions that effects your MPG.

It has a lot of advantages. Infact, when I was a gas only driver, I could not care less, gun it red light to red light....and drove the car like a drone driver..you know the people who seem to be in a catatonic state when they drive. Now as a hybrid driver, I watch each light, traffic in front and back and frankly, its made me a better and more conscious driver. I save money because I get more than 700+ and even 800s miles per tank of gas....but it took me a lil while to get and develop the skills to drive a hybrid like the CMax.

I wrote up a review of the CMax about a year ago: Jus Another CMax Review There are some hints and tips which may help you improve your MPG.

At 2,500 miles the fun is only starting for you and the CMax will improve with time. Please do take the time to checkout our forum, a lot of your questions that you may have - may be already answered. As well, we have some Ford Motor Company representatives here (Ashley) if you have some more technical issues/questions that the forum members cannot already answer.

...and there is a challenge here as well, lets see if you can break 600+ miles a tank on your CMax. We already have confirmed 50+ drivers here who have more than smashed the record. Its fun but like everything else in life, it pays to sometimes do a little reading, apply some tips, learn and become a better hybrid driver.

Hope it helps, and again, welcome :victory:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Thanks JustaC-Max,

I have been known to worry quite a bit when it comes to finances, read: m.p.g.. Knowing how much m.p.g. depends on m.e. is comforting, for I do a lot of freeway driving in Austin and didn't realize the cold engine problem. When I quoted the 33 m.p.g. around town to my son and daughter in law, who have gas engines, they still drooled. Thanks again for your taking the time to alert me to the responsibilities of driving a hybrid in getting great m.p.g.

thursday49

I get 44MPG average for the past 5000 miles since new driving in NYC / Upstate NY / CT roads.  Cold weather is MPG killer. I can do much better in warmer months.

Grill Covers = 2 to 4mpg better. :) 

I have had my 2013 C Max since the end of Aug. 2013, with a total of 2600 miles . The first four fill-ups, most during peak summer heat with maximum air conditioner usage, were around 40 mpg around town and some freeway driving.  I figured this amount by dividing the actual miles driven by the gallons used.

The next fill up was 37 mpg with roughly half the miles in EV mode. The last fillup mpg was 33. These last two fillups were following no air conditioner usage, maybe 1/3 time using the heater.  The percentage of EV miles is declining from roughly 1/2 to 1/3. I don't know why.

The more I drive, the worst the mileage gets. I was told the mpg would rival a Prius, around 45 around town and a little less on the highway. NOT SO. 

So, how do I get the EV usage up? Is there some button to punch? I like driving the car, but feel wary and uneasy about the dropping mpg.  Also, I bought this model b/c I understood it would get as good of mileage as a Prius.

Is there some EV+ designation to get into for max mpg? Any ideas appreciated.

EV percentage in general goes down as your speed goes up. that why city MPG is better than HWY :)

Paul

Thanks JustaC-Max,

I have been known to worry quite a bit when it comes to finances, read: m.p.g.. Knowing how much m.p.g. depends on m.e. is comforting, for I do a lot of freeway driving in Austin and didn't realize the cold engine problem. When I quoted the 33 m.p.g. around town to my son and daughter in law, who have gas engines, they still drooled. Thanks again for your taking the time to alert me to the responsibilities of driving a hybrid in getting great m.p.g.

thursday49

It would help if you gave us some idea on how fast and style of driving you do on the freeway. I drive in Los Angeles, CA and we have trucks that are limited to 55mph but realistically these trucks do 60mph to 65mph without too much hassle from CHP so the drivers here in CA are tolerant and will pass you no worries. Austin may be different, so your speed may be higher. This is important to know since the HIGHER the speed you drive the LOWER the mpg. Throw in other factors such such as the load in your car (a car packed with people and luggage chews up the MPG rather than a single driver with no luggage), head/tail wind, rain or sunshine and most of all GRADE of the road...going up hill to your destination is MPG killer but the balance of that is that, on the way back, you can really use the grade in reverse and kick in more EV to get back those lost MPG.

Theres so many combinations here...

However, we are ALL owner drivers here with a TON of driving experience to help you, so don't sweat it ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I wrote up a review of the CMax about a year ago: Jus Another CMax Review There are some hints and tips which may help you improve your MPG.

At 2,500 miles the fun is only starting for you...

+1 to Jus' hints and tips.

And the reason that your fun is only starting is break-in. We've all see our MPGs rise as the engine gets some miles on it. It takes 5-10,000 miles, depending on EV use, so you can expect a very slow imporvement over the next 2,500 miles, with a bit more in the next 2,500. I expect you won't notice anything until Spring. ICE warm-up requirements in cold weather are a big driver, as you've already seen. Once things warm up and the car breaks in, you'll find trips in the 50-80 MPG range aren't hard to come by, especially going down hill. 

For reference, my mileage is mired in the mid-30's these days because I'm taking the expressway so I get heat (3F at the moment; heat is not optional). If I take the back roads that had me north of 50MPG last Summer, the ICE rarely, if ever, gets hot.

Have fun,

Frank

Edited by fbov

• 4 weeks later...

I just took my first long trip to see my parents. I reset Trip 1 sitting in our driveway, and checked it when we were done to the tune of 39.1 mpg. This is averaging 55 mph with legal speeds from 40 to 70 throughout the trip. Passing through towns I did over 50 according to the mpg bar gauge that I've set for 10 minute intervals. On the highway it was less, of course, the highest I saw in a single bar was 45 mpg. The typical average at a steady 65 was under the 40 mpg mark- judging by the accumulated trip mileage probably 37 or so. There was a cross wind out of the south- we're going east or west- at 10-15 mph, and temps were around 35F to and from. 

I did better on the way home- 40.1 mpg, than on the way to their house, 38.6, because we were late leaving. The car has about 8k miles on it. I haven't checked anything under the hood besides the oil. I usually do better on my highway trips around here, so I blame this on the crosswind, low temps, and E10 fuels. I hope I get a chance to investigate the spark plugs, fuel filter, and MAF at some point. When I removed the factory spark plugs in my Focus, I noticed wild variations in spark plug gap. 

I'm not even sure where the spark plugs are on the ICE.  Lately I've been getting as high as 60mpg in town doing 35-40mph average.  Got on the freeway and it dropped to 49.5 after pushing the throttle past 2000rpm to get me up to 65mph faster.  I'll take that any day since I was only getting high 30's and low 40's about a year ago.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've owned my SEL for 16 months and have put about 12,000 miles on it so I guess you could say that my engine is about as broken in as it is going to get.  So, here are my MPG results driving normally without any "super hype-rmileage" techniques applied:  FWY about 42 to 44 at 65 MPH.  In the city, I get about 41 MPG.  My best mileage is in freeway traffic where I have gotten about 47 to 50 MPG.  That's it gang, so don't expect to get any more than this unless you drive like Jus-A-CMax, and there can only be one "King of Hyper MPG" on this blog site!  :worship:   

Gen, Gen, Gen...where have u been mate? No longer the King, and thank goodness...jus enjoying my car. 12,000 miles is not quite done yet. I think and Matt will back me up, it goes to 16,000. Your city stats are interesting, 41MPG...thats pretty low MPG unless all your city is upslope while you blitz the freeway to 47-50MPG? Sure its not the other way around?

:)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax,

Been around lurking but, have had nothing new to add until this post.  Yeah, 41 isn't stellar but, remember, I am retired and most of my "around town" driving is from the East end of Simi to Costo and back, or to Oakridge Athletic Club on Erringer and back, usually less than 5 miles one way.  The poor engine doesn't have a chance to really warm up.  I also usually find myself into the ICE when I accelerate from a stop; if not, I incur the wrath of the cars behind me!  You know us Simi drivers!  I wish Ford would re-program the computer to allow a little bit more acceleration in EV mode so I could accelerate without getting into the ICE.  Also, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about "it" when I am driving the car, "it" being the EV/ICE conversion and maximizing MPG, etc.  I am in that, "I love this car for a hundred reasons, MPG being only a part of it" point of ownership!  I find it too tiring and distracting to drive "on the edge" all the time so I just relax and enjoy the ride!  

Edited by Generalbeluga

Jus-A-CMax,

Been around lurking but, have had nothing new to add until this post.  Yeah, 41 isn't stellar but, remember, I am retired and most of my "around town" driving is from the East end of Simi to Costo and back, or to Oakridge Athletic Club on Erringer and back, usually less than 5 miles one way.  The poor engine doesn't have a chance to really warm up.  I also usually find myself into the ICE when I accelerate from a stop; if not, I incur the wrath of the cars behind me!  You know us Simi drivers!  I wish Ford would re-program the computer to allow a little bit more acceleration in EV mode so I could accelerate without getting into the ICE.  Also, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about "it" when I am driving the car, "it" being the EV/ICE conversion and maximizing MPG, etc.  I am in that, "I love this car for a hundred reasons, MPH being only a part of it" point of ownership!  I find it too tiring and distracting to drive "on the edge" all the time so I just relax and enjoy the ride!  

Yep, know that area well, use to appraise around the Big Sky and all around Simi..Woodranch and into Moorpark...been there so I know the traffic around there. I use to swing around Madera and the downslope from the 23 as that downslope is lovely to recharge the batts after climbing that darn 23. I truly hate the climb to Rocky Peak as I live in San Fernando though....hate, hate, hate.... :gaah:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Just joined the site as I'm starting to get really upset about my mileage on my 2013 Cmax....I have 16,000 kms....or 10,000 miles on .

It has been cold for a long time up here in Calgary, Canada (averaging -4F in the daytime) but I'm average 29 MPG in the city...7.9 L per 100km.

During the summer, the best I could do was 6.2 L per 100km  or 37.9 MPG.

Something seems to be wrong having read all of the awesome MPG for other users....

Just joined the site as I'm starting to get really upset about my mileage on my 2013 Cmax....I have 16,000 kms....or 10,000 miles on .

It has been cold for a long time up here in Calgary, Canada (averaging -4F in the daytime) but I'm average 29 MPG in the city...7.9 L per 100km.

During the summer, the best I could do was 6.2 L per 100km  or 37.9 MPG.

Something seems to be wrong having read all of the awesome MPG for other users....

I doubt that there is anything "wrong".   Fuelly.com show about 39.7 mpg overall FE.  Of course we don't know your driving style but cold temperatures kill FE for several reasons: air density increases as temperature drops and can result in a significant FE hit from a summer 25C ambient temperature, Internal Combustion Engine warm-up time is longer, ICE may never reach operating temperature on short trips, use of  heater, heated seats during cold weather drains High Voltage Battery, internal friction is higher with lower temperatures and so forth.  Also, the magnitude of say a hit on FE due to cold weather is greater on a more fuel efficient vehicle (say 40 mpg) than on a vehicle that gets low fuel economy (say 20s mpg).  

There are a number of things one can do to help with winter FE (there are many threads / posts on the subject).  Probably the most improvement will be seen if you can 1) temper the use of heating the seat and cabin until ICE is near operating temperature and 2) use grille covers probably year round in Calgary - ptjones sells them but you can use anything to seal off the lower and middle grille in the winter such as tape, split foam copper pipe insulation and so forth.

Thanks for the tips....I'm guilty of the heated seats but damn...they are cold in the morning!

I know the whole cold air impacts and weather.....I thought the update we received covered off closing of the grilles...

It's a learning curve.....it's not the silver bullet I thought it would be.....much better than my Smart Car...

Way better than a Smart Car (crazy name) IMHO too.  Lots of good tips here Calgary, but the cold weather & short trips rule the MPG game.  Garaging, grill covers, tempering the interior to 65 ish, dress warm, enjoy the beautiful weather & scenery, ECO cruise .................. keep that baby warm.  In fair weather, you have the control in your pedal foot to do much better than 39 - your 12 mile commute is not ideal, but should yield 40-45+ MPG in the Spring, Summer, Fall period. I call it driving carefully (not slowly), paying attention to using 'gas' (gas & EV) only when necessary & appropriate.  Take care & enjoy, Nick  Go Canada in the Olympics, eh.

Edited by C-MaxSea

Fair enough

I'm not trying to maximize the electricity side but I'm not gunning it.

Average 30 miles per hour

Daily trips downtown to work 25 miles round trip

Weekends...sometimes on the freeway at 60 so let's say average of 45MPG

Roads are clear 

Yes, the update supposedly better manages grille cover operation but with the covers you know you are minimizing air flow through the engine compartment and likely optimizing coolant temperature. Also, the covers should help by reducing aerodynamic drag.  With about a 12 mile commute, your ICE may still not be up to operating temperature.  Use Engineering Test Mode (do search for procedure) and you can monitor coolant temperature.  Let us know what you see at various distances on a cold morning commute.

OK...ran the Engineering Test Mode this morning

Outside temp -18C or 0F

Coolant before I started the engine was at -6C or 21F

Left the house at 60C or 140F

Trip to work was 18km or 11.2 miles one way

4 km/2.5 miles - 69C or 156F

10 km/6.2 miles - 67C or 152F

14 km/8.7 miles - 70C or 158F

17km/10.6 miles - 63C or 145F

18km/ 11.2 miles - 64C or 147F

Highest temp noted  74C or 165F

Lowest temp note - 55C or 131F

Very interesting...not even close to the operating temp for the ICE based on what I've read on the forums

Edited by CalgaryCMax

IMO, those temperatures are simply way too low for good FE.  Did you have the heat on?  

My guess is that ICE was also cycling on/off once coolant temp reached a certain level / HVB near full.  I doubt the catalytic converter is up to OT yet and whether the engine is ever running in closed loop operation on your commute.  I don't know whether at 0F ambient you will get to 180F+ even with grille covers at 0F.  You might want to seal around your hood / lower your hood / draw intake air from the engine bay too.