C-MAX Fuel Mileage. What are you getting?

robertlane

Driving into a 15mph headwind yesterday, I had a 30.0 mpg trip.  It was 1hr 15min of mostly interstate driving.  I would expect a decrease in mileage with those wind conditions, but to get 30mpg?  That's too much of a hit.   I set the cruise at btwn 70 & 75.  

Driving into a 15mph headwind yesterday, I had a 30.0 mpg trip.  It was 1hr 15min of mostly interstate driving.  I would expect a decrease in mileage with those wind conditions, but to get 30mpg?  That's too much of a hit.   I set the cruise at btwn 70 & 75.  

You didn't say what the temps where so I'm  guessing 50degs so you lost 4mpg for temps and your effective speed was 85-90mph so 30mpg sounds about right. Aero drag goes up exponentially. So if you slowed down to 60mph you would probably be getting 40mpg. Do you ever notice that winds are rarely tail windsand when they are they only last at most a hundred miles.  

I have just over a 1,000 miles and am starting my third gasoline tank full.  Day trips involving interstate highway travel limited with mid 30s mpg range.

Local trips that are mostly EV, where ICE is used only to warm and climb hills are another story.  Today, in the 30s temperature wise, I got mid 40s for two and 53 MPG for one.

Tom

You didn't say what the temps where so I'm  guessing 50degs so you lost 4mpg for temps and your effective speed was 85-90mph so 30mpg sounds about right. Aero drag goes up exponentially. So if you slowed down to 60mph you would probably be getting 40mpg. Do you ever notice that winds are rarely tail windsand when they are they only last at most a hundred miles.  

Ptjones, in retrospect I think you're right.  It was actually a mid 30s degree day.  

I've had to make some day trips lately with prevailing headwinds on the way out, but in the evening when the wind dies down, no tailwind on the way home.  Just my luck.

It'll be interesting to hear everyone's mpg results as the weather warms up.  I'm expecting to hear good things.

Ptjones, in retrospect I think you're right.  It was actually a mid 30s degree day.  

I've had to make some day trips lately with prevailing headwinds on the way out, but in the evening when the wind dies down, no tailwind on the way home.  Just my luck.

It'll be interesting to hear everyone's mpg results as the weather warms up.  I'm expecting to hear good things.

You will, It is amazing the difference between the 20's and 70's about 10mpg you can see it on my gas mileage graph posted earlier.

I just did 650 miles at 60mph to 75mph using exo-cruise through very mountainous terrain, temps ranged 30 to 50 degrees (f) with some snow and rain and the car was carrying 4 adults + one adult sized teen (and our dog). Plus gear and the 300lb Energi battery. I used "EV Later" mode the whole way, and for at least 60 miles yesterday fought a serious headwind (the rest of the trip had mostly still air).

My overall was 38.9mpg.

Not bad at all.

It brought my lifetime average down a bit though. :)

I just did 650 miles at 60mph to 75mph using exo-cruise through very mountainous terrain, temps ranged 30 to 50 degrees (f) with some snow and rain and the car was carrying 4 adults + one adult sized teen (and our dog). Plus gear and the 300lb Energi battery. I used "EV Later" mode the whole way, and for at least 60 miles yesterday fought a serious headwind (the rest of the trip had mostly still air).

My overall was 38.9mpg.

Not bad at all.

It brought my lifetime average down a bit though. :)

That's pretty impressive, how was the power going up the hills? It sounds like were stuffed for an Energi.

Good day to all,

At the end of the first week of ownership we have the following:

330 miles with 85% moderate traffic, including lights and stop signs, 15% 60 mph turnpike

41.7 mpg overall average

While it isn't the 47 mpg advertised, we're very happy with it.  We have followed the suggestions posted here about changing our driving habits.  My wife, the owner of a Mustang GT, had the lead foot.  She drives Maxie 50% of the time and is doing better on average than I am. 

We did notice a marked difference when we had the normal Florida warmth requiring AC as compared to right now, a freezing 58 degrees.  We shut the A/C off and just using the climate to control the fan.

We'll let everyone know when we get around 1000 miles.

Art

It climbs hills just fine - no problem at all. We climb 20% grades regularly, and have freeways with 6 and 7 percent grades in our daily commutes. No issues with torque or power.

Yes, we were well packed. It was a good trial run - in May we will do a 3500 mile trip with the same group and more luggage. :)

Are you adding a roof rack? :)

Good day to all,

330 miles with 85% moderate traffic, including lights and stop signs, 15% 60 mph turnpike

41.7 mpg overall average

While it isn't the 47 mpg advertised, we're very happy with it.  We have followed the suggestions posted here about changing our driving habits.  My wife, the owner of a Mustang GT, had the lead foot.  She drives Maxie 50% of the time and is doing better on average than I am. 

We did notice a marked difference when we had the normal Florida warmth requiring AC as compared to right now, a freezing 58 degrees.  We shut the A/C off and just using the climate to control the fan.

We'll let everyone know when we get around 1000 miles.

Art

Check your odometer with GPS it's probable off by at least 1.5% which means your getting .5mpg better than you think. Good Job. :) 

I also want to remind those reading this thread, when I post my results - I have an Energi model.

In "EV Later" or with the EV range all used up - the car operates in normal hybrid mode.

BUT: the Energi is only rated at 44mpg city / 41mpg highway (43mpg combined). This is due to the 300lb battery and a different gearing ratio.

Therefore my numbers (or any other Energi numbers) should be considered in that context.

I posted earlier in this thread a couple rural trips where I got 46mpg on four legs of 80 miles each. This trip I was much more heavily loaded and driving at much higher speeds and over much higher mountains with much colder temps and still got 38mpg.

Real world, corrected mileages.

This car is doing just fine, I know this is anecdotal but I am a really anal retentive and critical guy. I have no reason to complain about fuel economy at all with this car.

Especially when 100% of my daily around town routine can be done on pure electric alone. :)

Good day to all,

41.7 mpg overall average

We'll let everyone know when we get around 1000 miles

Way to go Art and Mrs. Art!! :rockon:

BTW, I would just about kill for your 58* about now :cry:

Edited by Adair

• 1 month later...

As long as Ford followed the EPA testing procedure correctly and the EPA's own (flawed for hybrid) testing of the C-Max comes close to the same numbers, I think it's unlikely that Ford will lose any of the lawsuits. If they want to sue anyone, it should be the EPA for continuing to use testing methods that don't show the real world performance.

good to hear the EPA will need to rethink their testing methods for hybrids:

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1954967

Going up to Irvine from San Diego and back (for the Pow-Wow), primarily on Freeway 5 (maybe 5 miles city), I ended up with 41.3 mpg -- 166 miles.  Not 47,but I was pretty pleased!

roninsd, we will be in San Diego for our anniversary weekend trip on 5/17 to 5/19. would love to meetup and see/discuss your cmax and talk to a real cmax owner to help us on our purchase decision. send me a pm if possible. thanks

future cmax SEL hybrid owner

Edited by salsaguy

Took a 250 mile highway trip last night (60 mph is speed limit here) and went the speed limit ... Averaged 36mpg for the entire trip. 15mph headwind on the way up didn't help. Overall I've been very disappointed with the fuel economy. We have almost 16,000 miles on the odometer now. Generally the car is driven on the Interstate (speed limit 75mph here) and average fuel economy is 33mpg for this typical driving. A full town tank I can generally get 45mpg if it's warm out. We came to the C Max from a PKG five Prius. Generally I would say I average 8-10mpg less with the C Max than in the Prius for like conditions. The Prius held its economy better in the cold due to the more advanced exhaust heating system.

I am not dumb and should have doubted the C Max numbers more when I saw the overall weight difference between it and the Prius being as that's the huge key to fuel economy. I was just excited when I saw the economy numbers at barely less than the Prius I owned at the time. Overall the C Max is a much more enjoyable and comfortable car but the fuel economy experience is bothersome. However, if it bothered me truly overall I would've traded back to the Prius. I still think this is a pleasurable drive - ESPECIALLY when compared to the Prius.

... Generally I would say I average 8-10mpg less with the C Max than in the Prius for like conditions. The Prius held its economy better in the cold due to the more advanced exhaust heating system.

I am not dumb and should have doubted the C Max numbers more when I saw the overall weight difference between it and the Prius being as that's the huge key to fuel economy. I was just excited when I saw the economy numbers at barely less than the Prius I owned at the time. Overall the C Max is a much more enjoyable and comfortable car but the fuel economy experience is bothersome. However, if it bothered me truly overall I would've traded back to the Prius. I still think this is a pleasurable drive - ESPECIALLY when compared to the Prius.

That 8-10 mpg is pretty much what fuelly shows as the difference between the C-Max and Prius.

When the C-Max came out at 47/47/47 EPA, I was also leery of what real world numbers would be given the extra weight of the C-Max (nearly 600 pounds over the Prius and 366 pounds over the Prius V).  That alone is likely the majority of the difference in real world driving FE.  That's why I waited before purchasing a C-Max.   I wanted to see the reviews / tests and what real world FE might be for me.   If was obvious to me after the reviews that I would likely not get 47 on average but in the low 40 s on average.  But, after the test drive and reading reviews, I purchased the C-Max. IMO, the Prius is about FE not about "driving and comfort".  I will not own a Prius or Prius V at this time as FE ranks behind the driving experience and comfort. 

That 8-10 mpg is pretty much what fuelly shows as the difference between the C-Max and Prius.

When the C-Max came out at 47/47/47 EPA, I was also leery of what real world numbers would be given the extra weight of the C-Max (nearly 600 pounds over the Prius and 366 pounds over the Prius V).  That alone is likely the majority of the difference in real world driving FE.  That's why I waited before purchasing a C-Max.   I wanted to see the reviews / tests and what real world FE might be for me.   If was obvious to me after the reviews that I would likely not get 47 on average but in the low 40 s on average.  But, after the test drive and reading reviews, I purchased the C-Max. IMO, the Prius is about FE not about "driving and comfort".  I will not own a Prius or Prius V at this time as FE ranks behind the driving experience and comfort. 

Amen, Brother, preach it!   ;)

I completely agree.

Matt

I have about 1400 miles on mine and lifetime mileage (according to the car computer) is only around 32 mpg.  I live in a moderate climate and generally don't need the heater.  I've never turned on the A/C.  I have been paying attention to driving and very cautious about acceleration, etc.  When I tried to talk to the dealer about it, their only answer was "use better gas".

Hi Barrier2Entry, and welcome to the Forum. So glad you found us! There are a lot of threads here that directly relate to improving your mileage, and a lot of us have been where you are now.....wondering where the 47mpg went. Take some time and read what others have shared. And tell us a little bit about your typical drives and routes.

For one thing, your car is no where near *broken in* yet. Some estimates are 5,000 miles and others feel it's closer to 7,500. I can tell you that with about 6,400 miles on mine, I am seeing steadily improving mpgs. The current tank is going to finish around 44mpg, altho my Fuelly signature will reflect the lifetime average. My last 5 tanks were over 40mpg. I live in Michigan. I'm sure I'll see 47 this summer, but  If 44 is as close as I get to 47, I'm just fine with that, because it's such a fun car to drive, and the technology is amazing. 

Stick around, read, ask questions. There are some incredibly intelligent folks here who are willing and happy to share from their own experiences about getting the most from your new C-MAX.

Again, Welcome!!!

PS, that was a pretty crappy answer from your dealership!

Edited by Adair

I have about 1400 miles on mine and lifetime mileage (according to the car computer) is only around 32 mpg.  

Barry, did you note what the lifetime read when you picked up the car?  I ask because dealership mileage is often brutal.  Salesmen typically idle the car in the lot with the a/c running while they show potential customers all the bells and whistles (and there's a lot of those in a CMAX!) and test drives are usually short on a cold engine.  If you didn't reset it, I suggest doing that so it will reflect only your driving.

• 7 months later...

I have had my 2013 C Max since the end of Aug. 2013, with a total of 2600 miles . The first four fill-ups, most during peak summer heat with maximum air conditioner usage, were around 40 mpg around town and some freeway driving.  I figured this amount by dividing the actual miles driven by the gallons used.

The next fill up was 37 mpg with roughly half the miles in EV mode. The last fillup mpg was 33. These last two fillups were following no air conditioner usage, maybe 1/3 time using the heater.  The percentage of EV miles is declining from roughly 1/2 to 1/3. I don't know why.

The more I drive, the worst the mileage gets. I was told the mpg would rival a Prius, around 45 around town and a little less on the highway. NOT SO. 

So, how do I get the EV usage up? Is there some button to punch? I like driving the car, but feel wary and uneasy about the dropping mpg.  Also, I bought this model b/c I understood it would get as good of mileage as a Prius.

Is there some EV+ designation to get into for max mpg? Any ideas appreciated.

Edited by thursday49