C-MAX Fuel Mileage. What are you getting?

robertlane

Here are my runs from Mammoth Lakes back to San Fernando at my different odometer reading.

I chose this part of the trip as it has the least fluctuations in terms of temperature - we basically leave at the same time and with no adverse weather conditions. Plain Jane and with the same load, same route and same time of the day. 

The return leg is 285 miles. 

Trip over Christmas 2012  40.8MPG  with 2169.5 odo miles  :baby:

Jan                       2013  44.6MPG with 3786.5 odo miles  :drool: 

Feb                       2013  46.7MPG with 5586.1 odo miles  :happy feet: 

Engine breaking in, you betcha. More than 5%, you betcha. Of course, ymmv  ;) 

One thing I did notice is that the Prius almost always goes to EV when stopped at a light and my Cmax is not. Could the battery need charging that much more than the Toyota's?

Mine goes to EV mode at every stop unless the engine is still cold or I have the heat on and the engine isn't warm enough to provide the temperature set on the climate control.

The readout on the dash of my CMax Energi says I'm getting 51MPG.  I only have 180 miles on the car in the three days I've had it.  My commute is 40 miles round trip.  The best charge so far said I had 17 miles on the battery.  I've noticed that the range drops faster going up the steep grades but is better that it tells me on flat portions of my trip.  I was worried after I ordered the car, 8 weeks wait to get what I wanted, and started reading about law suits over the mileage.   Right now with under 200 miles and the gas gauge reading one tick below full I'm very happy.

post-569-0-31493200-1360901497_thumb.jpg

Edited by mwyatt

The readout on the dash of my CMax Energi says I'm getting 51MPG.  I only have 180 miles on the car in the three days I've had it.  My commute is 40 miles round trip.  The best charge so far said I had 17 miles on the battery.  I've noticed that the range drops faster going up the steep grades but is better that it tells me on flat portions of my trip.  I was worried after I ordered the car, 8 weeks wait to get what I wanted, and started reading about law suits over the mileage.   Right now with under 200 miles and the gas gauge reading one tick below full I'm very happy.

attachicon.gifebay 019.jpg

You know that song....Don't worry, be happy.....dude,thats you  :rockon: 

Yeah, be interesting to see where that lawsuit goes. The trending here in this forum is that the owners in the colder north are getting less than 40MPGs and their cars are still new. Those of us in the south west/east such as myself where we had a glorious 75F temps today are getting around the 47MPGs especially with the broken in engine.  But watch, come spring & summer, those same cars will be pushing 40+MPGs.

Took a trip to the coast today. 46.9mpg

52 degrees. About 10 miles on interstate, then the rest split half & half with driving through towns and driving on rural mountainous roads at 55mph using Eco-Cruise. (for those interested or familiar: downtown Portland to Lincoln City via I5/Tualatin Sherwood/99W/18)

I have an Energi, I had already used up most of my electric range running errands but when we hit the highway I set it to "EV Later" and reset my trip meter. This trip is entirely in the normal hybrid operation for its whole length. EPA numbers for the Energi for this trip (which fits the "combined" profile almost perfectly) are estimated 43mpg.

photofeb15124644.jpg

We've been driving around an area that is relatively flat, temps in the low 60s.  Four people in the car.  C-Max Hybrid - SEL.  We got 46.5 mpg for a 36.5 mile trip.  16 EV miles and 2 Regen miles.  95% brake score.

Additional background.  We drove 8 hours on Interestate with 70 mph limit.  Averaged around 37 mpg, moderate to flat terrain.  We used the ECO Cruise feature.  I observed that although full EV mode only works up to 62 mph, the EV will provide assistance to the ICE above 62 mph.

The key to obtaining 46.5 mph on local roads is getting up to speed limit and then backing off accelerator to get car into EV mode. 

Additional background.  We drove 8 hours on Interestate with 70 mph limit.  Averaged around 37 mpg, moderate to flat terrain.  We used the ECO Cruise feature.  I observed that although full EV mode only works up to 62 mph, the EV will provide assistance to the ICE above 62 mph.

The key to obtaining 46.5 mph on local roads is getting up to speed limit and then backing off accelerator to get car into EV mode. 

That is what we call P&G, Pulse and glide. It's good you figured it out. You could gain another 2-4MPG's with Grill Covers.

My C-MAX Hybrid has 2,844 total miles.  The last 1,245 miles burned 35.4 gallons of 87 octane gas, about 35 MPG.

tire pressure problems = none  . . . recently checked, nitrogen-filled

obey speed limits = yes

gentle braking & acceleration = most of the time

extra cargo = almost never

me = 140 pounds

highway v city miles = 50/50

EcoCruise = yes

peaks & valleys in Northern Virginia = not many, not very steep

Long trip down south soon so I am bringing the C-MAX to a dealer tomorrow to check for mechanical or battery problems.  Also, I have a Case ID from Ford.  I don't expect that the dealer will find anything wrong but will post if this is not the case.  Great vehicle, except for real world 35 v 47.

My C-MAX Hybrid has 2,844 total miles.  The last 1,245 miles burned 35.4 gallons of 87 octane gas, about 35 MPG.

tire pressure problems = none  . . . recently checked, nitrogen-filled

obey speed limits = yes

gentle braking & acceleration = most of the time

extra cargo = almost never

me = 140 pounds

highway v city miles = 50/50

EcoCruise = yes

peaks & valleys in Northern Virginia = not many, not very steep

Long trip down south soon so I am bringing the C-MAX to a dealer tomorrow to check for mechanical or battery problems.  Also, I have a Case ID from Ford.  I don't expect that the dealer will find anything wrong but will post if this is not the case.  Great vehicle, except for real world 35 v 47.

You didn't say what temps have been, if 30-40's that's about right without covers. You would gain 2-4mpg with covers and do you have a ScanGauge? It would be helpful in seeing what the ICE temps are. Also have you checked you odometer with portable GPS, everyone so far have been off by 1.5% or more which is about .5mpg to the better.

Here a funny thing but I get better MPG's with tennis shoes than hard sole shoes. :)

Do you use Pulse and Glide?

Just some ideas that work to improve MPG's.

Jeff: You also don't say what the "highway" speeds are, or how long your average city trips are...

I drove over 300 miles this last weekend with Eco-cruise set at 55mph. Two adults, and we are both heavier than you, plus the Energi carries around another 300lbs of battery. Mountainous rural roads mixed with some small towns. Temperatures in the low 50s, and no rain.

I set the Energi to "EV Later" mode so it's exactly like the hybrid in that mode. Four legs of the trip, each over 80 miles. The Energi is only rated 44/43/41.

My results:

photofeb15124644.jpg

Here's an anti-mileage report:

Parked our C-Max underground for a concert last night.  Afterwards there was a crush getting out.  Drove about 100 feet with ICE started,  Shut off engine while waiting in line.

Mileage?   1823L/100km = 0.13 mpgUS

There were several hundred cars trying to get out.  We waited for a good ten minutes before moving. 

Good example of how much hybrid in EV can help in stop-n-go, and hope others turned off their engines while we were waiting.

You didn't say what temps have been, if 30-40's that's about right without covers. You would gain 2-4mpg with covers and do you have a ScanGauge? It would be helpful in seeing what the ICE temps are. Also have you checked you odometer with portable GPS, everyone so far have been off by 1.5% or more which is about .5mpg to the better.

Here a funny thing but I get better MPG's with tennis shoes than hard sole shoes. :)

Do you use Pulse and Glide?

Just some ideas that work to improve MPG's.

Yes, it has been fairly cold here in the last several weeks. I don't have a cover or a ScanGuage and I usually park the CMAX in the parking lot, not the garage. No portable GPS but no hard sole shoes, either. And, importantly, I was not aware of Pulse & Glude until I read your post. Clearly, the cold weather has had an adverse impact on MPG. Also, contrary to my belief when I first posted, tire pressure was 3 psi on the low side on three tires when I checked today. Thanks for these pointers . . . I think I will start seeing better mileage going forward.

Jeff: You also don't say what the "highway" speeds are, or how long your average city trips are...

My results:[img=http://imageshack.us/a/img40/6431/photofeb15124644.jpg]

55 to 60 are my normal highway speeds and my average trip is probably 5-10 miles.

I took the CMAX to the Ford Dealer today and, as I expected, they did not find any problems. But, as noted above, I hope to see improved MPG with warmer weather, P&G, tire pressure tweaks, etc.

Adair - something to look forward to - it was a cold one here in Los Angeles this morning 40F. Maxine is at 7,200 miles on the odometer. The first part from A from west to east is along the 118 Freeway (approx. 13 miles) and at speeds 65-70 mph cause I was running late. I noted the Avg MPG along the 210 remained around the 48.0 to 48.1 MPGs (which is what I started with from home).

The north-south is surface street at 45mph and at the end of this run, TRIP came up to 48.7MPGs at the 41F temp.

8509051808_8f4eebc1d8.jpg

So be patient with your engine, it will break in and this is possible at speed. 

And yes, we do get the "cold" ones but not insanely cold - California cold  ;) 

Saaaweeeetttt!! Thanks Jus!

I was thrilled with 38* temps, bright sunny skies, :happy feet: no need for heat or bun warmers  :yahoo:and 48.4mpg on my ride home tonite!!!! :wub2: My weather is coming!!! 3,247 miles on the odo. When I figure out how to add the maps, I will  :sos:

Going up to Irvine from San Diego and back (for the Pow-Wow), primarily on Freeway 5 (maybe 5 miles city), I ended up with 41.3 mpg -- 166 miles.  Not 47,but I was pretty pleased!

What speeds and what on the odo, mate? Sounds like you travelled a tad more than me on the freeway from hell v2.0 (the 1st freeway from hell has to be the 405).