Hybrids have arrive and are here to stay - Accord 50 mpg city rating

catsailor

I looked at a news article and at the Honda website.  I didn't see anything there about the new Accord being different in this respect.

Then I looked a little more and found some articles that said that the new Accord is different and that the hybrid Civic is also different from previous Honda hybrids.

Maybe I should ask Honda for $550 back on my 2000 Insight.  With a mixed power system maybe the Insight would have been rated at 70mpg.

Edited by DaveofDurham

The stakes have been raised now boys and girls as Honda has ditched it old hybrid technology in favor of a Ford type set up. Let the games begin. 50 MPG city is a killer even to the Prii clan.

50MPG city...rofl...60mpg, that would impress me. Prii clans already do 50 city, hatchback. Someone coming out with 60 - that is a whole new ball game...my 2c

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

50MPG city...rofl...60mpg, that would impress me. Prii clans already do 50 city, hatchback. Someone coming out with 60 - that is a whole new ball game...my 2c

I think it would be more appropriate to compare it to the other midsized sedan hybrid variants - Fusion hybrid, Camry hybrid, Sonata hybrid. 

midsizedhybrid.png

From the Honda website: 

[1] 50 city/45 highway/47 combined mpg rating. Based on 2014 EPA mileage ratings. Use for comparison purposes only. Your mileage will vary depending on driving conditions, how you drive and maintain your vehicle, lithium-ion battery age/condition, and other factors. 

So yeah, it's really not going to break any new ground

Edited by Noah Harbinger

I don't see a sedan with a limited trunk being a "prius killer".  I didn't cross shop the fusion hybrid while looking at the Cmax.    Honda hybrids have a checkered past to overcome.

Honda, as a whole, has a checkered past as Honda vehicles are highly likely to get stolen, so insurance rates can be higher for them. 

Honda really doesn't do much advertising concerning their hybrids, compared to what Toyota & Ford do.

GM has several hybrids, as well, however how often do you hear of them being advertised.

Surely, any deviation would be the sole fault of the consumer!

/sarcasm

I just know that my wife and I have the exact same CMAX parked in the same driveway.  My average is 45.5MPG and hers is 37MPG.

Why because she drives 2 miles to work each day and the car never warms up and I drive 20 miles to work and half is on the freeway.

I would love to do the same test with a Prius or an Accord.

I just know that my wife and I have the exact same CMAX parked in the same driveway.  My average is 45.5MPG and hers is 37MPG.

Why because she drives 2 miles to work each day and the car never warms up and I drive 20 miles to work and half is on the freeway.

Simple, go rent 2 Priis for a week.

Careful now, you may be dazzled with the Prii performance, handling and 45 limit EV.....and be.... borgsmiley.gif

:twister:

i like how they put "your mileage WILL vary" not MAY vary. covers them better for sure.

I think it would be more appropriate to compare it to the other midsized sedan hybrid variants - Fusion hybrid, Camry hybrid, Sonata hybrid. 

midsizedhybrid.png

From the Honda website: 

So yeah, it's really not going to break any new ground

Don't waste time test driving the Prius. My last car was the Prius, my driving route was about 2 miles, and I was lucky to get your wife's 37mpg. In winter I couldn't even reach. Loved the car though it didn't compare to the luxury and smooth feel of my C-Max.

In 2025 all cars and trucks will have to average 54.5 mpg as a fleet, so yeah hybrids are here to stay.  

I can't wait to see what kind of mpg we're getting in whatever car we're driving then!

That's CAFE MPG, though: Firstly, it's based on the fuel economy tests developed in the 80s, so for example the C-Max would dial in at something like 60MPG. Secondly, credits are available for E85-capable vehicles. Between those two, 55MPG is pretty achievable. Ford's at 35MPG for cars already. 

Secondly, the CAFE now has a built-in adjustment for fuel economy vs. vehicle footprint size - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CAFE_Fuel_Economy_vs_Model_Year_and_Footprint_with_2017-2022_Proposals.png - so Ford won't be particularly adversely affected by the standards just because it manufactures better trucks than Toyota.