Our first long trip with the update was a disappointment!

mikekoz

I am certainly not an expert, but I beg to differ with you, based on my own experience. When I got my car back after the 1st upgrade it immediately began to go into EV mode much easier, and I was getting 60mpg on routes that previously were in the 50s at the highest. But I knew the update was incomplete because I could not get into EV over 62mph and my regen miles were the same. After the *do-over* the EV+ locations were gone, regen miles wer -0-, I could get into EV at 70+ mph on the highway BUT the car sounded and drove differently, my MPGs dropped, and it's taken me more than a month of driving for things to come back around to close to what they were before the update and update Part 1.

Like I said. Programming is either done or it's not. An incomplete programming attempt can brick the PCM if it fails. There are more than 1 module updates. The updates are a fixed calibration file. No file or calibration can be altered by the programmer. The IDS will program the modules. It's all automated and controlled by the IDS. If the tech didn't look for the latest updates, then you could have older software or he could have missed a control module. I own the Ford IDS factory tool. I subscribe to the IDS website and program vehicles for indy shops, everyday. I did my C-Max the day (8/18) after I purchased it. 3 weeks later, I found 2 more updates available. We get updates every month and some come twice in a month. It's all depends on what Ford releases.

I don't base updates on MPG data. I base updates on calibration file ID's.

Here's the latest for my car as of 8/19/2013

post-1464-0-00435200-1380213656_thumb.jpg

Edited by drdiesel1

Does your C-Max drop into EV mode if you reduce load?  For example you are cruising at 75MPH and tap the cruise button down twice to slow down slightly or when you go into a downhill?

The update increased the operating speed limit of the electric motor but it can't sustain EV at higher speeds if load condition are not right.

I tried that and it would briefly go into EV mode, but only for a few seconds.

Thanks for all the information folks! I learned a lot about my car just by posting my question. Too bad Ford could not have been more informative in the article I read about this upgrade before it was available. The upgrade did seem to make a difference, just not in the way I was expecting.

Sounds like your dealer is jerking you around. There's no such thing as it didn't take. Either it's reprogrammed or it's not.

My bet is they never updated your modules. I've been programming vehicles for the last 20 years. Your SA is a jackass.

My SA is amazing.  My Ford dealership has been fabulous and has treated me exceptionally well.  They have done everything within their power - and some things outside their power - to help me out.  Your comment, however, is not helpful at all.

My SA is amazing.  My Ford dealership has been fabulous and has treated me exceptionally well.  They have done everything within their power - and some things outside their power - to help me out.  Your comment, however, is not helpful at all.

That's great that you have a good dealer to rely on. A large majority of dealers aren't worth a sh-t. Most dealer staff are under paid and won't take the time or care about your warranty issue's.

It's a shame, but it's the way thing are going due to the bottom line way of life working for a dealership.

Edited by drdiesel1

Never had the update. I've been pleased with my lifetime 42.5 MPG. If I drive highway and keep the ECO cruise set at 60MPH, I've been getting 50 + MPG. Don't want to mess this up. Doesn't make sense to me to expect savings and economy at 70+ MPH. 

Using EV off the hills on the freeway at 65 or above is a nice feature. The update shouldn't effect your city driving mpg numbers.It will reset the system and you'll need to start over, but it won't change it otherwise. I would encourage you to get it done, as there are other updates for other modules that should be done. The BECM, the BCM, the PCM, the ABS, the SOBDM, and the SOBDMC also have updates.

Updating the systems is the best thing you can do for overall system operation and integrity.  They fix a lot of glitches and anomalies with software updates. It's the first thing I look for to correct a customer complaint. TSB are the next research stop. A lot of TSB direct techs to software updates to correct problems. Today's cars are heavily computerized and require a knowlegible tech with the right information to resolve customer complaints.

"Oldschool" parts chucking is dead. Long live the "Newschool" of computers and software fixes  :victory:

Edited by drdiesel1

I've had my update for about a month - around 1200 or so miles of driving. Around town, lots of stop-and-go, I get about 44-45 mpg. Yesterday we took a trip up to Phoenix (about 220 miles round trip) and my highway mileage was around 38mpg for the trip (@75+mph the whole time). At that speed, I can't complain about the mileage. I can get the battery to kick in up to the low 70's, but at 75+ the battery never kicked in, only powered the air conditioning.

Funny side-note. The speed limit on I10 here is 75mph. The nav system shows the speed limit to be 74. Not sure where they dreamed up that one.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Post-update our HWY mileage has increased from 40 to 43 MPG -- we take the same freeway trip to church every Sunday with Eco-cruise set at a constant 71 MPH, so I have a good testing baseline. Temps have been in the 70s, so A/C is running. (In Atlanta you can't drive 65 on the freeway without risking your life.)

Have not seen any appreciable change in around-town trips, although my wife recorded her first 50 MPG run into town this week -- she really could not care less about FE but loves her little car.

Post-update our HWY mileage has increased from 40 to 43 MPG -- we take the same freeway trip to church every Sunday with Eco-cruise set at a constant 71 MPH, so I have a good testing baseline. Temps have been in the 70s, so A/C is running. (In Atlanta you can't drive 65 on the freeway without risking your life.)

Have not seen any appreciable change in around-town trips, although my wife recorded her first 50 MPG run into town this week -- she really could not care less about FE but loves her little car.

Can't complain about that!

It's still too soon to tell, but my first city trips look promising.  Yesterday, I finally had the chance to drive the regular driving route that has produced most of my testing numbers.  Before the update, I was averaging about 48 or so for this route.  Yesterday, I got about 55 MPG.  I think that the best I have ever done in this segment was perhaps 53.

Again, this is just one run.  So, I can't say that this is certain proof.  Crossing my fingers that this is for real.  :worship: