If you see another CMax, do you observe how they drive?

Jus-A-CMax

So today, I was "lucky" enuf to find another dark gray SEL CMax ahead of me. I was driving along Roscoe in the west direction, a 40 mph street. I was in my usual "city-maximize-my-mpg" mode to test an old route with the 13b07 enhancement. 

Cool, I thought, nice to sit behind another CMax.

As soon as he took off, I could tell this person gassed it straight away. I was in my 0-15 EV and kick in the ICE mode. This person was humming along and again, I caught up to him at the next set of red lights. Obviously, to me, this person was not hypermiling it and making use of the EV.

I wondered what his Avg MPG was like?

We did this over like 5 blocks and that CMax made a right, while I went on my merry way to work. I finished with 82MPG for the route, not bad. Going to take this same route and a couple of others to see how the 13b07 has improved. Usually, this was a mid 60s run and peaked at low 70s run pre-13b07. I got lots of stats so I can check.

This is the 2nd time I was able to trail another CMax driver and observe how they drive. 

So anyone here take notice of any other CMax drivers? Do they fang? Do you ever wave "Hi"?

The first problem is catching up to them, without breaking form... think they saw you? Think they had any idea you used ~1/3 the fuel they had?

Now that I'm paying attention, I think most hybrid owners are closet racers who want better mileage... without action on their part. Granted, I have a very hard time with the extreme throttle sensitivity - can't exit a corner in EV to save my life - but I've learned where to find the feather you use, Jus. A little throttle insensitivity would be an improvement in the car's operability, but it doesn't address the human element.

Have fun,

Frank, whose accustomed to the throttle sensistivity of a car that can vote

Edited by fbov

I think the person did...I thought I saw the person glancing up the rear view mirror as I took a picture...who knows, maybe this person might wander here.

Yeah...the feathering is tough, took me a while to get used to it....its different for everyone. Once you get it, it makes a world of difference. 

Last CMax I saw, I was driving side by side with my window down and it was amusing to hear her EV running (almost silent) along with mine. Different CMax though and it was like 3 months ago.

I remember you talking about that driver, Jus, and with the windows rolled down all you could hear was the silence of EV mode!

I see several C-MAXs now on my drive to/from work. Only one driver has ever waved, and I think they were coming from the Ford dealership near my office.  I get the feeling that they are *driving it like a regular car*, caring nothing about FE, but what do I know? I sometimes wish I could flag them down and talk!

I did talk to a Fusion Hybrid owner at Panera the other day. I pulled in right after him. We were in line together, so I said, *How do you like your hybrid?* And the race was on! His was a couple years old, and he liked it so much that he bought a second one for his wife. They are getting ready to upgrade to 2 of the newest version. We talked FE and driving styles while waiting for our orders.............then he went his way and I went mine. But it's only the 2nd time I've gotten to talk face to face with another hybrid driver.

Edited by Adair

No C-Maxes here to wave at!  The only one that we have ever seen was parked and I waited to talk with them.  You could tell they thought I was a nut or a stalker.   I'm prepared to wave like mad if I ever see another one <g>.  Prius V's are taking over here--they are multiplying like rabbits in the last 3 months.

I remember you talking about that driver, Jus, and with the windows rolled down all you could hear was the silence of EV mode!

I see several C-MAXs now on my drive to/from work. Only one driver has ever waved, and I think they were coming from the Ford dealership near my office.  I get the feeling that they are *driving it like a regular car*, caring nothing about FE, but what do I know? I sometimes wish I could flag them down and talk!

I did talk to a Fusion Hybrid owner at Panera the other day. I pulled in right after him. We were in line together, so I said, *How do you like your hybrid?* And the race was on! His was a couple years old, and he liked it so much that he bought a second one for his wife. They are getting ready to upgrade to 2 of the newest version. We talked FE and driving styles while waiting for our orders.............then he went his way and I went mine. But it's only the 2nd time I've gotten to talk face to face with another hybrid driver.

Funny enuf, I have yet to talk to ANY CMax owners except those at the survey thing last weekend and I was incognito too.... Now Prii owners, I think I talked to about 3 of 'em thus far. They luv their cars too...which is to be expected. I guess we're all like football fans....a lot of luv & rivalry at same time.

Was that you behind me? Jus kidding! My Max has only been as far west as NJ for a sweet sip of cheap Jersey gas. (Most NYers think the only other valid reason to go their is enroute to someplace you like better).

It used to be that Prius drivers waved to each other too. Then they became so common that nobody cared anymore. It is still the most amazing car I ever drove before the C-Max. I still wave to the drivers of the original Prius. As early adoptors having bought their for reasons similar to why so many kin this forum bought our Fords, they still understand.

There's a Ruby Red that lives sort of near me, and before I started working these insane hours, we were often on the highway at the same time.......I was NEVER able to catch up to him.  I tried waving as he blew past me but I don't think he ever saw me.

Face it kids, we're a unique bunch! :dance:  :hi5:   :rating:  :lol:

I have lost many tenths of a mile in FE with trying to connect with other C-MAX drivers I see on the road.  At home, all but perhaps two are rentals. 

Sometime back, I posted about walking up to one as I was walking the dog.  It was hard to sit there talk to the drivers, who left the engine running the entire time, and had the air conditioner set to LO. 

The next C-MAX I didn't post about, but I burnt a lot of gas to catch up to them.  That also turned out to be tourists in a rental.

I've seen some in the distance.  I have no idea about those.

When I was in NC, I finally gave up on trying to catch up to one that was obviously not concerned with fuel economy.  I passed another one head-on, and all I could do was wave.

So far, it doesn't seem like any of them that I see have drivers that are doing anything about trying to get decent numbers.

There's a Ruby Red that lives sort of near me, and before I started working these insane hours, we were often on the highway at the same time.......I was NEVER able to catch up to him.  I tried waving as he blew past me but I don't think he ever saw me.

I've come to the conclusion that California CMax owners are rude and not interested in saying hello.  I can't get any of the many I see everyday to ever wave back or give me the time of day.  Even when I zoom past them and then drop back and pull along side.  Geez they probably think I'm some kind of nut case? ;)

I've come to the conclusion that California CMax owners are rude and not interested in saying hello.  I can't get any of the many I see everyday to ever wave back or give me the time of day.  Even when I zoom past them and then drop back and pull along side.  Geez they probably think I'm some kind of nut case? ;)

Welcome to San Fran  ;)   I use to live in Burlingame and trust me when I say, the people in LA is WAY more friendlier. May be its because we get more sunshine here.

That ain't too far off....the 47 or the 43. Infact, thats pretty darn good for fanging...so no pulse & glide there either (you have the momentum)?

generally i'll just accelerate fast, then kick in the ecocruise when i get to the speed limit.  if there is no traffic to impede i'll coast when i can and brake gradually, so that helps offset pushing the ICE hard on take off i guess.  

I don't actually see that many c-maxers, but I do watch how they drive.  I do also watch Prii drivers - and they don't seem to be watching their mpgs much.  But, yesterday one took off ahead of me in the next lane...but I coasted past her on EV and wondered if she was also on EV and going that slow....

How many fingers do you hold up when you wave?  ;)

I don't actually see that many c-maxers, but I do watch how they drive.  I do also watch Prii drivers - and they don't seem to be watching their mpgs much.  But, yesterday one took off ahead of me in the next lane...but I coasted past her on EV and wondered if she was also on EV and going that slow....

i relish being next to a prius at a red light because i'm always sure to demonstrate the superior speed of my CMAX.  actually, i like being stopped next to any car at a red light :D

generally i'll just accelerate fast, then kick in the ecocruise when i get to the speed limit.  if there is no traffic to impede i'll coast when i can and brake gradually, so that helps offset pushing the ICE hard on take off i guess.  

You're not too far off being called a hypermiler. From what testing I have done, a quick burn is better & more efficient that a slow 1-bar burn. Only readon for the 1 bar burn is to recharge the batteries. I use 2 bar burns mostly but sometimes I BURST it up to 3 bars to get the momentum going and kick it into EV. ICE from zero is not efficient IMO - at least thats what I and Matt preach.