Cold weather mileage with the updates. My findings.......

Recumpence

Hey All,

I wanted to let you know how my mileage is doing since the updates.......

Last winter I averaged 42mpg. This summer, I average 56mpg. My current lifetime mileage is 49.2mpg with nearly 38,000 miles on my car.

Now, since the updates, my summer mileage is not changed (or not enough to comment on, except an increase in highway mpg). However, my cold weather mileage has definately changed. Here are my findings;

Last winter, I had a general prinicpal that seemed to be 100% correct everytime I drove. That principal was simply this;

My in town mileage was 40mpg at best when the temperature is 30 or below. 50mpg is doable at 50 degrees F. However, anything under 50 degrees, would put me soundly into the mid to lower 40s. Well, the last couple days have been cold here. Today started at 31 degrees nad never got over 41 degrees. However, my mileage ended at 53.7mpg! That would not have been possible last winter. At best, I would have seen 44mpg according to my mileage log.

So, one of two things is happening; either my car is further broken in, or the updates are making a huge difference. Either way, I am happily expecting some decent mileage this winter.  :)

Matt

Here in N Texas it's catch up time. :hi5:

Little or no AC and  little or no Heat, Oct and Nov.

My mpg has gone up 1 already.

OPS I forgot, :swear: :gaah:   winter blend is on the way :rant2:  :rant:  :runaway:

And DO NOT EVEN start me on E10/15

Last winter I averaged 42mpg. This summer, I average 56mpg. My current lifetime mileage is 49.2mpg with nearly 38,000 miles on my car.

Now, since the updates, my summer mileage is not changed (or not enough to comment on, except an increase in highway mpg). However, my cold weather mileage has definately changed. Here are my findings;

Last winter, I had a general prinicpal that seemed to be 100% correct everytime I drove. That principal was simply this;

My in town mileage was 40mpg at best when the temperature is 30 or below. 50mpg is doable at 50 degrees F. However, anything under 50 degrees, would put me soundly into the mid to lower 40s. Well, the last couple days have been cold here. Today started at 31 degrees nad never got over 41 degrees. However, my mileage ended at 53.7mpg! That would not have been possible last winter. At best, I would have seen 44mpg according to my mileage log.

So, one of two things is happening; either my car is further broken in, or the updates are making a huge difference. Either way, I am happily expecting some decent mileage this winter.  :)

This is great news. I feel like I'm seeing very similar results in our FFH. I've still been averaging around 45-50 MPG in all short city trips starting with a cold ICE these past few days where temps have dipped into the 30s in Minneapolis. Since you put so many more miles on your car in a day and it must stay relatively warm even when you're stopped to work you'll see better MPGs in the winter than other drivers who drive to work, let the car get cold and then drive home. Glad to hear of your improvement! Last winter we averaged just under 40 MPG, this winter I'm hoping for at least 42 MPG average.

Hey All,

I wanted to let you know how my mileage is doing since the updates.......

Matt

Shorter warm-up ICE period was part of the FE update, I believe.  If that's true that would be a big part of the improvement I would think.

One WAG on my part is a much more aggressive use of the grill shutters.  

The testing I did last winter showed that shutters don't start to open until coolant temp reaches 190degrees and fully open until 213degrees.  It typically doesn't get that warm during the winter time without Grill Covers. With info from ScanGauge the new up date is about 10degrees hotter with Grill Covers so I'm thinking that they are running ICE leaner to improve MPG's and shorten warm up time.

Paul

Shorter warm-up ICE period was part of the FE update, I believe.  If that's true that would be a big part of the improvement I would think.

Edited by ptjones