Interesting Motertrend C-Max mpg test

csavage7

WOW, what an elaborate testing setup.   Thanks for posting it.

From the article, "After sifting and tuning the data -- for instance, its A/C load gets interpolated at 50 percent of full blast, data compromised by unusual traffic is deleted, the city and highway results are weighted per the EPA's 55/45 ratio, and there's compensation for the difference between the battery's pre- and post-test state of charge -- the C-Max got…45.6 mpg."

Edited by fotomoto

This would be a lower limit, as I don't see any compensation for the test equipment.

While the bulk of it's placed well, one would expect increased drag from the gas analyzer conduit and the open window where it enters the passenger compartment. Notice there are no picutures of the drivers' side of the car, only the cutaway diagram? While it's oriented substantially parallel to the flow, I'll wager the flow is significantly disrupted, with negative impact on FC as speed increases. I suspec tthey ignored it because it's a small effect, but one that can only raise the number.

Original EPA rating's looking better and better...

HAve fun,

Frank

♫ ♫ Whistle..♪.♫..Whistle..♪. ♫..whistle..♪..♫   California dreamin' on such a winter's day ..........           

and then there is Seattle, 360 days of cloudy miserable weather every year ...................................... and 46 MPG 'Lifetime' :)

(Who needs heat and AC, when you have a blanket of clouds over head every day ;) ) 

♫ ♫ Whistle..♪.♫..Whistle..♪. ♫..whistle..♪..♫  

Nice work Motor Trend !   

Nick    

Edited by C-MaxSea

Yeah...but Matt carries around 300lbs of equipment and he's a Rock :gold_star: with his CMax, blowing the 47 even driving highway. Ah...at the hands of a skilled CMax pilot, oh what can be...

I'd like to see a video of that "highway" driving. Or is that the modded one?

"For perspective, the average of 107 owners' self-reported results from Fueleconomy.gov is 39.2, while the average of 293 drivers at Fuelly.com is 40.7."

That seems really low.

And that test seems overly complicated, to put it mildly.

My driving is majority on the highway, but I don't get anything higher than that, average.

I think most first time hybrid owners will struggle until they find a *coach, mentor* to help them learn the ropes. When I bought mine last year, the salesman said, *The car will teach you how to drive.* Which is true, but you still have to learn how to understand what it's teaching and how to implement the lessons to the best effect. Then the learning speeds up and the mpgs go up. But that learning time brings the overall average down.

I am a first time hybrid owner. After about a year we are getting about 37 mpg. I try to do long breaking glides and pulse and glide. I don't think my wife pays much attention.

Separately most of our driving is short distances, punctuated by a few very long vacation drives a year. It is hard to get electric mode to kick on while the car is still warming up, so the short drive focus may be a factor.

I am a first time hybrid owner. After about a year we are getting about 37 mpg. I try to do long breaking glides and pulse and glide. I don't think my wife pays much attention.

Separately most of our driving is short distances, punctuated by a few very long vacation drives a year. It is hard to get electric mode to kick on while the car is still warming up, so the short drive focus may be a factor.

Yep! The ICE will use more fuel during warmup and won't turn off during the warmup cycle. Short trips are the worst for MPG numbers.

Edited by drdiesel1

Yep! The ICE will use more fule during warmup and won't turn off during the warmup cycle. Short trips are the worst for MPG numbers.

+1 on that Yep.  Anything less then 2,3,4,5 miles, esp. in cool / cold weather will kill better MPGs. (unless it is all down hill & one way on residual HB charge)

very cool article and new testing methods. looking forward to seeing other cars tested this way for comparison. i do wish they would have discussed how they compensated for the extra weight and bad aerodynamics of the year equipment though. does this mean without the gear it will get 50mpg??? :)

hope they get a early model 2014 to test soon....

if you knew you would be doing lots of short trips before the engine was warm, why didn't you buy the plugin version Energi instead, which would have been using electric mode around town instead of gas? much more conducive to your style of driving.

i agree and think Ford really missed the mark taking up so much space for the battery. I'm sure it turned off many due to that reason.

if they made a c-max style hybrid version of the Escape with a larger size and with the battery hidden out of view that would be the best.

they would have sold many more Energi Cmaxes. I'm sure some folks just went to the competition instead of going to the regular cmax. maybe they will redesign it for 2015/16 to fix this problem.

I think that future battery technology will get to the point where the Hybrid will end out getting Energi performance without taking up the extra battery space of the current model.  They'll probably be able to fit a spare tire, too.

I would have considered the Energi, but I need the storage space.  As it is, coming from a bigger SUV, I make the C-MAX Hybrid work, but it can take some figuring with a full load.