Traction Control R O C K S!!!!

Adair

We are in the middle of our first significant snow of the season. It started sometime in the night and there was an inch or so on the ground when I got up at 5:30. My mom had a hearing aide appt. at Toledo Costco at 9:30 this morning, so we left about 8:30. It's a 35 mile drive, mostly freeway, and normally it would take about 30 minutes. By the time we left there were several inches of new snow on the ground and the wind was blowing and drifting it all over the place. The side roads had not been plowed at all. The freeway wasn't much better but luckily there wasn't much traffic. Every time I needed to stop or turn a corner, I could see the traction control light come on, and feel it kick in and keep me from slipping to the side. Even tho I was driving super cautiously (with Mom and Asia in the car), there were times when I just held my breath. By the time we were on our way home there was maybe 6 inches or so, and I was told the plows wouldn't likely be out until it was done. But we made it there and back again, none the worse for the experience, and I feel a lot better about driving my C-MAX in moderate snow. Last year I don't think we had this much at one time. 

(My emoticons aren't working, so I can't jazz this up any.)

Traction control kicked in a couple of times for me today, most noticeably as we went up the hill to my house. Usually the tires will spin when there is snow on the ground and it is very slippery when the slope increases, but it just kept going steady. Even when I tried to fishtail a bit to see how i handled, it wouldn't.

I find the Cmax handles quite well in the snow. I travel about 60 kms to work every day on the highway at speeds of about 110 kms per hour and most of it is uphill some pretty steep climbs. I do have winter tires on the car but find the extra weight of the vehicle really makes her stick to the road. I tend to do lots of passing in the snow covered lane as others are travelling in the clear lane at decreased speeds. I have never felt like I was over doing it speed wise but find she handles the snow and slush quite well. My last car would toss around in the snow and slush but our Cmax seems to just glide right through it, I assume it is the extra weight that helps. I do find the white stuff sticks to the back of the car quite a bit and then the back up camera gets covered. Thus I seem to be clearing off the back of the car after each trip otherwise the back up proximity sensors will squeal constantly and the camera is a great view of a white wall.

Cheers,

Bruce

Wow!  Coming from a Jeep, you'd be one to know about handling in the snow.  For you to have such high praise for the C-MAX in such adverse conditions carries a lot of weight.  Great to hear.  What a great car!  :love_shower:

Hi SDM,

I don't claim that driving a Jeep makes me any expert, BUT, having lived in Duluth and now MI for the past 30 years and driving a lot of different cars in a lot of conditions may give me some street cred  :airquote:  All I know is with the Jeep, I was never worried about the weather, and would go out in anything. I feared the C-MAX wouldn't be as good in the snow, but the lure of being a new car, the MPGs, and all the tech drew me away. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well Jelly does in some pretty nasty conditions. :rockon: The one thing I won't do, however, is take her over some of the back country roads I used to drive the Jeep on. No scratches, dings, or dents, if I can avoid them  :)

Thus I seem to be clearing off the back of the car after each trip otherwise the back up proximity sensors will squeal constantly and the camera is a great view of a white wall.

Cheers,

Bruce

Yep, I had the same thing yesterday!

I am pleased with how well the C-max does in the snow. The only issue is ground clearance. The Jeep has loads of it and a hybrid doesn't. Five or six inches of snow on the road and traction doesn't matter any more. I take the minivan on those day if there is a pressing need to go out at all.

We are in the middle of our first significant snow of the season. It started sometime in the night and there was an inch or so on the ground when I got up at 5:30. My mom had a hearing aide appt. at Toledo Costco at 9:30 this morning, so we left about 8:30. It's a 35 mile drive, mostly freeway, and normally it would take about 30 minutes. By the time we left there were several inches of new snow on the ground and the wind was blowing and drifting it all over the place. The side roads had not been plowed at all. The freeway wasn't much better but luckily there wasn't much traffic. Every time I needed to stop or turn a corner, I could see the traction control light come on, and feel it kick in and keep me from slipping to the side. Even tho I was driving super cautiously (with Mom and Asia in the car), there were times when I just held my breath. By the time we were on our way home there was maybe 6 inches or so, and I was told the plows wouldn't likely be out until it was done. But we made it there and back again, none the worse for the experience, and I feel a lot better about driving my C-MAX in moderate snow. Last year I don't think we had this much at one time. 

(My emoticons aren't working, so I can't jazz this up any.)

Great news for all of us chickens!  I'll add some emoticons for you. :love_shower: :love_shower: :love_shower: :love_shower:

. Thus I seem to be clearing off the back of the car after each trip otherwise the back up proximity sensors will squeal constantly and the camera is a great view of a white wall.

I've never consider how that could be a problem.  Hmmm, I wonder if they'll ever make camera warmers?   LOL   So how well do the mirror warmers work for SEL owners?  How do they even come on?  (stupid southerner ponderings)

I've never consider how that could be a problem.  Hmmm, I wonder if they'll ever make camera warmers?   LOL   So how well do the mirror warmers work for SEL owners?  How do they even come on?  (stupid southerner ponderings)

Wash your mouth out with soap, Doug!

As for the mirror warmers, they work great. Just turn on the rear defrost and it includes the mirrors. 

(And no fair rubbing it in that you've never had to use the rear defrost :swear:

(And no fair rubbing it in that you've never had to use the rear defrost :swear:

LOL, yeah I guess I haven't ever turned it on.   When I got it tinted in May, the installer said to not use the rear defroster for 30 days.  I assured him that would NOT be a problem in south Texas.   :)    Hey, we actually had frost this morning and a temp of 31f but the CMax'es are garaged so we still didn't need them.  I do use the front to de-fog when the interior humidity gets too high.  

Hey Laurel, seems to me it is down low on the dash right behind the gear shift lever. Along the row of buttons with the auto park and the button to turn off the parking sensors when in a drivethru. That seems to be where I remember seeing it, but maybe my memory is wrong. Have a look and see if you can find it and I will look in the morning to be sure.

Cheers,

Bruce