In the market for new car, would you buy another C-Max?

HendersonD

The other thing I forgot to mention is back seat leg room. If I had young kids, I would seriously consider the Forester. Young kids grow up through those teenage years and the back seat on the C-Max has nowhere near the leg room of a Forester. Over the years we did a lot of longer driving vactions with our kids and having extra leg room in the back is a big plus. My two kids are out of the house now so it is just my wife and I so the back seat will only get occasional passengers so the C-Max will work fine.

I know I'm late to the party and the OP has already made his decision but I have to chime in. If I had to do it over again, I would absolutely buy another C-Max. Not only that but I have been very happy with the options I originally chose and would also choose the same ones.

Apart from the great fuel mileage there are other benefits. Something that really didn't come across during a short test drive is how comfortable, smooth, quiet, and stable the C-Max is. In other small cars I feel like I am driving a tin can. This is one of those things that you can't describe very well with stats or in a TV commercial.

Now, after 7 months and 8000 miles, I have no regrets.

Thanks for the feedback, gives me confidence I made the right decision.

What options did you get?

They are listed in my signature.

Basically the 302A option package has everything you can get with the car except the self-parking (that's the 303A package). While the panoramic sunroof sits slightly behind and above the driver and I can't really see it, it lets in a lot of light and makes the car seem very open.

The cargo space is also quite good and my previous vehicle was an SUV.

Welcome to the Forum, and congrats on choosing the C-Max. I expect you'll be very happy! (And if you hold out for a 2014 Hybrid, I'd love to compare model years.) I'm in Bushnell's Basin, so I use Van Bortel Ford; they seem competent. The car's been in for service twice, once for oil change (prior owner), once for mandatory recalls (SW updates). About the worst that's happened is fuel consumption has skyrocketted now that Winter's here.

I liked your response to Laurel, as I've yet to see AWD provide a necessary benefit to Rochester winter driving. After 30 years in RWD Volvos, the last thing I'd want on a snow-coverd road is the ability to accelerate past safe maneuvering and braking speed. It seems odd not to be fishtailing... 

One pleasant surprise is excellent driver visibility during night snowfall. Most cars blind the driver by illuminating the falling snow at eye level. At speed, all you see is white specks flying at you. I'll have plenty of traction, but I can't see the road. In C-Max, you sit higher, and Ford got their headlight design right, because you don't get the "star wars" effect without high beams.

Have fun,

Frank

Over the next week I will be test driving:

• Ford C-Max SEL
  • Subaru Forester
  • Toyota Rav4
  • Honda CRV
  • Toyota Prius

I have a 2000 Toyota Camry that has been reliable but is ready to be replaced. We live outside Rochester NY

Would you purchase a C-Max again? If so why? If not why?

I'm a little late to the party, too, but I'll put in my $0.02 for any future readers asking the same question.

a) Yes, I would get the CMax again, and probably the same SE with the 202A (the power liftgate just seems like one more thing to break since I'll probably keep the car til it dies of old age.  I also didn't particularly want the winter package, but now that I see that the heated seats will warm you up nicely without firing the ICE, I like it.  I also like the puddle lamps a lot.

As for comparison to the other cars:

Subaru Forester-- A better match for the Cmax is the Impreza Sport.  Nearly the same cargo volume (Cmax slightly better), but with AWD, and you can get a pretty comparably outfitted one for about the same price.  Gas mileage on the Impreza is much worse, and in most conditions the AWD is a FWD anyway.  The Impreza was my other car I was looking at.  A friend has a Forester and it's quite a lot larger, but I think the 2014 gets similar mileage to the Impreza, making it appealing.  The only thing the Subarus have that I really wish was at least an option on the Cmax is rack rails.  Thule makes a fit-kit, but I have a ton of mounts for Yakima round bars so I'm going to end up with landing pads on the roof.  IIRC, the Cmax has better Power/weight than both of the Subarus. 

RAV4- didn't drive one so I can't really comment.  Have been in one and for the size I'd expect it to feel bigger inside.

CRV - again, wasn't on my list, so no comment

Prius - I test drove a Prius V.  It seemed *way* underpowered for the cargo capacity, even just getting over a little hill by the beach, and I live at the top of an ~800' climb.  I had a rental regular prius for a week for work and the things that I disliked were: the gas pedal felt laggy, which isn't good for fast heavy traffic in LA, and the sight lines out weren't good.  The pillars seem overly large and badly placed, so they're always obscuring your view of what you need to not run into.  The 0-60 time on the V is also terrible-- I'd be afraid to try to get it onto the 110 from one of the short ramps (essentially zero length) in any kind of traffic.  I need to haul bicycles around regularly, and it seemed underpowered for that.

Edited by chrisl

I've never seen that rack before, but it kind of scares me...  I've seen suction cups be temperature sensitive and release when it gets hot-- I'd trust magnets a lot more.  I'm going to end up just doing the landing pads, but I'm being extra careful about locating the holes and haven't had the half-day or so that I'd like available to do the work.  I'll post pics and measurements when I get to it.

Congrats on your decision. For others considering a similar shopping mix...

The C-Max combines the best attributes of a small hatchback (very high MPG, short for easy parking), small SUV (good sightlines and good cargo space), and driver-oriented sedan (quiet, excellent ride/handling balance, smoothly responsive acceleration and steering), all at a very reasonable starting price.

For me, that's the perfect car. Compared to the C-Max... A small hatchback gives you the handy size and high MPG at a lower price, but none of the other attributes. A small SUV gives more cargo room and the option of AWD, but a rougher ride and much worse fuel economy. A premium sedan gives you the top-tier driving dynamics, but not other attributes.

But with the current crop of hybrid sedans, it gets murkier. The hybrid versions of the Fusion, Camry and Accord are outstanding: spacious, powerful, comfortable, high MPG. They're more expensive, but if you have the money and you don't have a dog or other tall cargo to carry, they make a strong case.