Ford to update 3.4 million cars to Applink

fotomoto

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/03/ford-is-upgrading-3-4m-older-vehicles-to-run-connected-car-apps/

"Ford, however, said on Friday that it plans to boost that number considerably in coming months by retroactively installing AppLink in as many as 3.4 million Sync-enabled vehicles already on the road today. Ford hasn’t yet revealed any details about which vehicle models will be eligible for the upgrade or when they would receive it. It appears that process will involve a simple software download, though its unclear whether customers can install the software themselves or must go to the dealer. We’re likely to hear more at CES next week."

If this is what I think it is, this is really big, big news. 

I never understood why those who paid extra for the upgraded system were penalized by not having AppLink.  This didn't make sense to me. (I figured that it was an attempt to force people to get Sirius, trying to keep smartphones with only minimal music streaming capabilities.)  Also, I never understood why Ford would want to put so much money into aspects of MFT that are not Ford's specialty, when smartphones already easily can handle these functions.  I even commented on other threads that the trend was towards letting the car's system be more of a dumb terminal that allows users to control everything through their smartphones. 

To see that Ford will be correcting the previous decision not to install AppLink on vehicles already on the street shows yet another strong move to support the customer after the sale.  It also shows that Ford has been listening to improvement suggestions.  :thumbsup:

I am guessing that with AppLink, issues of seeing album art when streaming from Spotify will finally be over.  Yes!  :yahoo:

I wonder how long it will be until this actually comes to pass.  Maybe we will be lucky enough that it can be driver installed!

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

Yes, I thought that since I paid mo money for MFT with nav that I would get AppLink capabilities.  I a couple of hours trying to figure out how to get it to work.

I blame Microsoft for a bad OS.  I blame Ford for choosing Microsoft.  

What other production ready alternatives do they have?  I wish Google would just make an Automotive version of Android.  Why do I need AppLink if I can just install NORMAL apps on it and tether it to my phone WIFI for data?  So far only BAD Chinese HUs offer Android versions that probably don't work well.

BLAH.  This subject gets on my nerve!

Yes, I thought that since I paid mo money for MFT with nav that I would get AppLink capabilities.  I a couple of hours trying to figure out how to get it to work.

I blame Microsoft for a bad OS.  I blame Ford for choosing Microsoft.  

What other production ready alternatives do they have?  I wish Google would just make an Automotive version of Android.  Why do I need AppLink if I can just install NORMAL apps on it and tether it to my phone WIFI for data?  So far only BAD Chinese HUs offer Android versions that probably don't work well.

BLAH.  This subject gets on my nerve!

Sync has always used Microsoft with or without MFT.  I'm not sure it's fair to put the blame on Microsoft because we don't know the specifics of why AppLink is not in the MFT system.

It is already happening . . . just not with Ford, unfortunately.  Here's the link.

Of course, the companies that are doing this are locking in with AT&T.  So, there is nothing perfect out there.

"They contain vehicle-to-vehicle safety systems, which allow them to communicate with other cars as well as infrastructure elements like stop lights and traffic cameras. So, for example, if a connected car were entering a blind corner, and there were a disabledvehicle stopping traffic around the bend, the car's V2V system would alert the driver to slow down or even apply the brakes on her behalf. "

Uh no thanks.  Don't BRAKE my car!

Sync has always used Microsoft with or without MFT.  I'm not sure it's fair to put the blame on Microsoft because we don't know the specifics of why AppLink is not in the MFT system.

Actually, the article said something about them not being able to make it work with the upgrades system.  So, either that is a Ford issue or a Microsoft one.  I am betting on it being a Microsoft issue.

timber725, 

I took the little fella out to about 35 miles per hour on a wide road that hadn't been plowed. Going right down the middle I started pulling the wheel hard left, right. Just about the time I could feel the ass rear end starting to come around, the "opposite corner", the one leading my direction of travel, momentarily applied the brakes to prevent spinning out. I've been on traction-free surfaces where this might not help. Neither do I know a safe place to do high-speed testing. (Not wanting to test ditch-driving capabilty!) 

• 4 months later...

Great news if its true

only negative will be all those folks who LOVE sync and wont want to learn a brand new system all over again even if it is much better

cant wait.

you would think the 2014s would have already had it installed though if they were going to do it

:(

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/03/ford-is-upgrading-3-4m-older-vehicles-to-run-connected-car-apps/

"Ford, however, said on Friday that it plans to boost that number considerably in coming months by retroactively installing AppLink in as many as 3.4 million Sync-enabled vehicles already on the road today. Ford hasn’t yet revealed any details about which vehicle models will be eligible for the upgrade or when they would receive it. It appears that process will involve a simple software download, though its unclear whether customers can install the software themselves or must go to the dealer. We’re likely to hear more at CES next week."