What do we know about the Pano roof?

Alex Sams

Ok, so I'm curious to see what knowledge you guys out there might have. I'm trying to find out what sort of glass the pano roof is. I know it's laminated, like the windshield, and it's made by a company named Saint-Gobain. The product line is Sekurit- which is their laminated glass line. However that encompasses several different types of glass. Those of you who have Energis likely can look at the approval marking on yours and see Saint-Gobain Sekurit or Thermoglass which is the heated glass. 

I'm curious to find out what sort of glass is used in the pano roof. It might have thermal reflective, and certainly UV reflective properties already. I still don't know for sure if I can tint it. I have checked "tintdude", and found an article on it "Can I tint my sunroof?" which describes that it's mostly an urban legend started by Nissan in the 80's. The other reason is that tinters don't like to get soapy water in their eyes. 

The tint appears to have a blueish haze to it (maybe IR reflective), and I'm going out right now- even though it's dark to see if I can find any other markings besides the approval marking which doesn't tell much. 

Does anyone know the spectral reflective properties of that glass? 

I have no idea. You know a lot more than I ever thought to ask. The glass sometimes seems bluish/purplish when viewed through raindrops and it must have some protective properties. I have never felt uncomfortable from too much sunlight coming through and the car doesn't seem any hotter in the summer with the shade open or closed.

As for tinting, there are several on this forum and the NRG forum who have tinted the window and i don't recall hearing of any problems.

You know way more then I also but I have tinted the sunroof with the lightest tint possible just for the SPF protection. It may have had some protection before but know I know it has it and have had no problems so far. You do not notice it being darker than before with the tinting.

Cheers,

Bruce

I can't find anything else written on it right now. I'll look again tomorrow. 

I was mildly shocked at how large, and old, Saint-Gobain was. I'd only ever heard of PPG and Carlite as far as auto glass goes, but I think these guys might be bigger than both of those. I'll quiz my Ford Customer service buds and see what they come up with for an answer. From what I'm reading here, it doesn't seem like I need to worry about tinting the roof. I am going to tint the side windows though, and as much of the upper windshield as I can legally here! It seems like the sun is always in my eyes from the upper edge of the windshield. 

GOT IT!! I was there earlier, but didn't follow the right clicking. 

I followed this link: Saint-Gobain Anti-Heat glass, over in the right hand side you can choose a car maker, and they will give you the model that the glass is used in, and the C-Max pops up. I think these glasses are available in multi-layer or multi-style, like sound reduction with anti-heat. I'm going to do some more digging. This with global opening windows negates the need for tint on the roof! WOOOO HOOO!! Thanks Ford Global!

OK, I could only find the C-Max under tinted and anti-heat. Their literature says that the anti-heat glass is clear, but it doesn't seem clear from the outside. I know I wish I had that stuff on all the windows- as well as laminated! That would totally screw up some thieves around here if they tried to break into my car by busting a window and couldn't get through the glass! They make a hydrophobic glass that's like having permanent Rain-X on a windshield. Cool stuff- eh?

Edited by Alex Sams

• 2 weeks later...

TN has laws about the tint on the windshield, however I did notice on our last trip that the AS-1 line is WAY down! That's going to get some tint for sure- I just don't know if it's going to get 5% or 15%. It would make it slightly difficult to see traffic lights- but people will just honk the horn when it's time to go. LOL.