Dealer may not be able to honor a condition of my car purchase - what to do?

bigalpha

When we bought the car, we bought it with the condition that they would install remote start.  During finance paperwork, we opted to get the extended warranty and alarm service.  They installed an aftermarket remote start unit that we found out isn't fully compatible with the car.

So we talk to a manager and they agree to pull the entire remote start and alarm system and install a bi-directional Ford OEM remote start system.

Three weeks later, they still haven't been able to get the remote start installed and working properly.  Multiple calls to tech help, new parts, etc.  What should we do if they come back and say they can't get it installed properly?  Also, I'm tired of driving this crappy Chrysler 200.

I went through the same thing (a long time ago) when I wanted cruise control in my Plymouth Horizon and the only way to get it at the time was an aftermarkef system that kind of worked but not really. I ended up getting my money back and I loved the car anyway. I have been burned too many times omotherly dealer installed items and now I just say no.

I hope that you get exactly what you contracted for but remote start is a feature that you can live without if you need to get your money back. I just hope the dealer doesn't waste too much of your time in the process. Besides, think of the gas you save without remote start.

You have to scarifice enough for a car. It had better be what you want.

I have grown quite fond of some options that I never would have ordered if they didn't come with a car I could get off the lot. Some previous ones were power locks, power windows, climate control, and cruise control are all on my mandatory list now. The C-max added Go-times (an advanced electric only form of remote start available on the Energi), pano roof, built in GPS (even though a portable is cheaper and better in many respects), and telematics.

Well, they've had the car for 3 weeks and still can't get it to work.  I jokingly suggested "swap me for a CMax with RS already installed" and the manager didn't seem too taken aback by that.  

I wouldn't joke anymore if you really want the remote start.   I'd pursue the swap with a reduced payment for the mileage difference between the two cars for your inconvenience.  If the normal mileage depreciation charge is $0.20 per mile (check what Ford leasing charges for excessive mileage), I'd start out around $0.05 per mile.   

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer