New Owner with a Question re: Nav system

kimncris

Hello! We just bought a 2013 C-MAX SEL with 23K miles. We purchased through Carmax and I am beginning to suspect they haven't sold too many of them as they were unfamiliar with a lot of things we asked about.

The car was not advertised as having navigation, but it has the rear view camera, foot-activated liftgate, HD radio and sony stereo which seem to be currently bundled with the navigation option. Was this also the case with the 2013 model? It has a "navigation" menu item in the right instrument panel that goes beyond the compass and shows options for "My Home," "Previous Destinations," "Favorites," and "Nearby POI." When I attempt to select any of these, the system seems to search (a circular progress indicator shows for a few moments) and then return back to the menu as though nothing happened.

I looked up the VIN number usuing the site that @fbov mentioned in the welcome thread. It says "Navigation Data - N America/Mexico."  I'm wondering if all of this means it does in fact have the navigation but maybe it doesn't have current maps? Or does everyone see that menu in the instrument panel (I have found references to seeing the compass there but can't tell about the other options). Any other ideas?

I gave the Sync Destination app a brief go, but it seems way more efficient to just use Waze on my phone while it is connected via BT. I do, however, miss having the maps displayed on the big screen as I had in my Prius. Plus sometimes sattelite navigation is better in areas with sparse cell coverage. I suppose I can always take it to a dealer and ask them, but I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable folks here first!

Thanks in advance for any help. ~k

Check for the sd card. They might have taken it out when detailing it for resale.  Or it got stolen .

You should be able to reorder one from the dealer or on your own at parts dept for maybe $100-200 if it's missing but try and get them to pay for it as you bought the car incomplete and is missing an option you bought/paid for.

Edited by salsaguy

Find the window sticker for your car at...

What's at this site that's not on etis?

I've never tried using NAV without the card installed to see what it does, but I'd check that, as said above.

I've had issues with GPS turning off. Pulling the card will disable Nav. RE-inserting will restart Nav. Sometimes, it restarts GPS, too, otherwise, I just wait.

HAve fun,

Frank

Thanks, all! There is definitely no card in the SD slot so I will look into that. It had been a rental and it is possible they removed the card in order to rent out their own nav systems. Or it got lost or someone took it.

For now, you'll have to purchase one from you local Ford dealership (I don't think Carmax will be able to provide you with one). We plan to make them available via our map provider, HERE, in the future.

Has anyone looked at the content on the SD card and how large it is? Seems to be a bit unreasonable to have to pay $100-$200 to replace a removed card when it would be a trivial thing to copy. Or would that be unethical and/or illegal?

This is from page 533 of the 2013 C-Max Hybrid Owner's Manual:

"3. Software License

Subject to your compliance with the terms of this Agreement, TeleNav

hereby grants to you a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable license

(except as expressly permitted below in connection with your permanent

transfer of the TeleNav Software license), without the right to sublicense,

to use the TeleNav Software (in object code form only) in order to

access and use the TeleNav Software. This license shall terminate upon

any termination or expiration of this Agreement. You agree that you will

use the TeleNav Software only for your personal business or leisure

purposes, and not to provide commercial navigation services to other

parties.

3.1 License limitations

You agree not to do any of the following: (a) reverse engineer, decompile,

disassemble, translate, modify, alter or otherwise change the TeleNav

Software or any part thereof; (b) attempt to derive the source code, audio

library or structure of the TeleNav Software without the prior express

written consent of TeleNav; © remove from the TeleNav Software, or

alter, any of TeleNav’s or its suppliers’ trademarks, trade names, logos,

patent or copyright notices, or other notices or markings; (d) distribute,

sublicense or otherwise transfer the TeleNav Software to others, except as

part of your permanent transfer of the TeleNav Software; or (e) use the

TeleNav Software in any manner that (i) infringes the intellectual property

or proprietary rights, rights of publicity or privacy or other rights of any

party, (ii) violates any law, statute, ordinance or regulation, including but

not limited to laws and regulations related to spamming, privacy, consumer

and child protection, obscenity or defamation, or (iii) is harmful,

threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene,

libelous, or otherwise objectionable; and (f) lease, rent out, or otherwise

permit unauthorized access by third parties to the TeleNav Software

without advanced written permission of TeleNav."

Hope that helps answer your questions, ArizonaEnergi. ;)

Rebecca

Edited by FordIVTteam

I would take this up with Carmax, after a careful read of the sales agreement. If you bought the car as-is, you may not have any rights. If they guarantee the car's stock features work at purchase, you may have some leverage, as the Nav is standard on your model, and it can't work without the card.

Good luck!

Frank

Thanks, all! There is definitely no card in the SD slot so I will look into that. It had been a rental and it is possible they removed the card in order to rent out their own nav systems. Or it got lost or someone took it.

It is likely that the rental agency removed the card. Before purchasing my C-MAX, I rented one for 24 hours for a good test drive. My vehicle had NAV, but the card had been removed by the agency. I am guessing that, since they sell their rental fleet after a time, they would have included the card with that sale. However, I don't know about whether that was actually the case in your instance.

Before purchasing a new card, you should ask if there is a new update that will come out soon. With my luck with things like this, I end out getting the old version just before a new one comes out, and then I end out paying for it twice. Maybe you can work it out so that this doesn't happen to you.  ;)

Thanks, @FordIVTteam.

I'll take another look at it, @fbov. Navigation was definitely not on the features list on the sticker, but there may be something in the language of the contract that frames it in such a way that I can ask them to replace the card. They have already been really good to work with. I discovered that the emergency tire repair kit was missing and that the glove box light was not turning off (something you would only notice after dark) and they have been great about fixing / replacing both things.

Great suggestion, @ScubaDadMiami. That always happens to me with laptops!

~k

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Marc,

I was told by my Ford dealer that it has to be in the system and cannot just be "added" by putting in that SD card.  So it's both hardware AND software (because my question was whether I could add it to My Touch system after purchase, no matter how much it cost and was told no).

kelly,

I was told the same thing...

I guess if you were able to find a wrecked SEL,  there may be a way...

the SEL has a GPS receiver...  so the car always knows "where it is"  but  Iwoudl imagine  that  it could be done.  just going to take time and money to figure it out..

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to slip the nav card into the SD slot  and see what happened...

Edited by Marc Smith

As it turns out we ended up with the Nav system (originally our salesperson couldn't find one in the color and specs we wanted, but he then came through) so I'm happy but when it looked as though we'd have to settle without it the thought also occurred to me that you could replace the entire system with an after market one that offered all this (Crutchfield is always sending me catalogs with such things).  Of course, you wouldn't have the same kind of integration but I suspect that as time goes by such third party solutions are going to be more and more integrated with existing cars.

Truth be told, I'm not so sure that the in-dash navigation is going to be half as nice as our current Garmin unit offers, but I just wanted a more "clean" solution and am willing to put up with a somewhat less satisfying experience not to have to deal with cords and other awkward placement crap.  (My wife, OTOH, was perfectly fine with continuing to use the Garmin.  Then again, she's less comfortable with new technology in general -- took me *forever* to get her to use a Smart Phone, although now she can't live without hers :>).

I like having "no wires"  in the cockpit.  but  the little "eyebrow" over the the screen near the  CD slot is a nice place for the suction cup mount... and still have it easily reachable...

In a couple weeks  I'm moving from a 3g android to a 4g  Iphone  so hopefully I'll be able to use my smartphone for nav and get away from the garmin...

I do prefer the navigation with Google Maps on my iPhone -- it's really slick, well thought out, and (usually) even more accurate than our pretty accurate Garmin, but these old eyes need a larger screen (then again, when I go to the iPhone 6 I'll have a larger screen than my phone currently has <g>).  Sometimes I've used both -- turned on Google maps and let her talk to me while the Garmin points out streets (which is why I've found GMaps to be more accurate at times).

Eventually -- maybe even within my lifetime <g> -- we'll see the logical conclusion to this with car makers allowing complete integration with our smartphones so that the display will show up there.  That way, just like playing media on that screen, you could bring up your navigation (and other) apps on the in-dash screen and otherwise operate with the phone in that manner.  It just makes SO much more sense -- Ford (nor any other car maker) should not be in the computer application business.  They could then leverage all the great apps available on phones and only have to worry about working with them.  Trust me, some maker will do this soon and then all the others will have to jump on that bandwagon.  Yes, they will lose a bit of money (because they can't sell you their own software systems) but they will get FAR more customers and have far less headaches having to deal with stuff they really aren't set up to deal with (I suspect Ford leaves all the media stuff to third parties anyway).

I can see this coming because up to even just a few years ago integration with phone calls and music playing was almost non-existent -- so the other stuff is just around the corner.  And who knows, it might even be retrofitted into the existing systems out there (that's my real hope).