Check Engine Light - O2 sensor

rfaunce

Hi - I have had my 2013 C-Max into two different Ford dealers a total of 4 times over the past two months.  I was originally told that the O2 sensor was at fault but when a replacement did not correct the problem I was told that, according to a service bulletin, Ford needed to provide the dealer with a program update.  I had the program update as suggested by the service bulletin but this did not solve the problem. I was then told that the service bulletin said that a re-engineered O2 sensor was required.  This took a month because it apparently was still being engineered by a Ford supplier.  I got the new part installed this past week, it was road tested and checked out and everything was OK until I was a mile from the dealer and the check engine light came on again.  Now, it could be coincidental and the light is on for something else but I don't think so.  I will take it back to the dealer again but I think that to protect myself I will file a Lemon Law notice.  I love the car but if I had to sell it tomorrow I couldn't because of the condition.  If it gets resolved this time, all the better but if it doesn't, I don't want to be stuck.  I don't blame either dealer for this situation.  Ford is telling them what to do.

Has anyone else had this specific problem?  Some of you may recall that I am the fellow with the "SL" that was one of the first C-Max manufactured by Ford in June 2012 and I can't help but think that perhaps the problem is related to a very early production problem.  Bob from Maine

Hi - I have had my 2013 C-Max into two different Ford dealers a total of 4 times over the past two months.  I was originally told that the O2 sensor was at fault but when a replacement did not correct the problem I was told that, according to a service bulletin, Ford needed to provide the dealer with a program update.  I had the program update as suggested by the service bulletin but this did not solve the problem. I was then told that the service bulletin said that a re-engineered O2 sensor was required.  This took a month because it apparently was still being engineered by a Ford supplier.  I got the new part installed this past week, it was road tested and checked out and everything was OK until I was a mile from the dealer and the check engine light came on again.  Now, it could be coincidental and the light is on for something else but I don't think so.  I will take it back to the dealer again but I think that to protect myself I will file a Lemon Law notice.  I love the car but if I had to sell it tomorrow I couldn't because of the condition.  If it gets resolved this time, all the better but if it doesn't, I don't want to be stuck.  I don't blame either dealer for this situation.  Ford is telling them what to do.

Some of you may recall that I am the fellow with the "SL" that was one of the first C-Max manufactured by Ford in June 2012 and I can't help but think that perhaps the problem is related to a very early production problem.  Bob from Maine

Please look at your four service orders and list the actual diagnostic trouble codes found and what it says was done to remedy the situation. O2 sensors fail all the time.  This will help others that might have the same issues.

Has anyone else had this specific problem?  Some of you may recall that I am the fellow with the "SL" that was one of the first C-Max manufactured by Ford in June 2012 and I can't help but think that perhaps the problem is related to a very early production problem.  Bob from Maine

Bob - did you ever share your VIN so that we could look up your car in Etis and look up its window sticker? That will help with solving the SL question. Also, what does the paperwork from your dealer say as far as make & model? They key in your VIN which then populates those fields. I'd be curious to see what the paperwork shows.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I have had my 2013 C-Max into two different Ford dealers a total of 4 times over the past two months.

I had three or four O2 sensor failures - about once every couple of weeks. My dealer contacted Ford support and the problem finally was tracked down to a seam leak in the catalytic converter. My dealer replaced it, and I've gone 3+ months without a recurrence.

My car is a newer (August 2013) SEL, but it's something you could get checked.