IntelliChoice Real MPG

I haven't been on in a while but I came across this web site and thought I needed to share. IntelliChoice has created there own testing system for rating MPG for vehicles called Real MPG.  Here is a link to how they test vehicles:  http://www.intellichoice.com/real-mpg/how-intellichoice-real-mpg-works.html

And here is how the 2013 CMax faired in their testing: http://www.intellichoice.com/1-12-2013-50058-56/2013-ford-se-4dr-wagon-real-mpg.html

I haven't noticed the news grabbing this up anywhere.

Bingo !   IntelliChoice 46.3 on the personalized scale, Fuelly 46.3.  They are doing something right - big kudos!

(seems too simple to work for everyone - needs a weather / temperature slider as well?  Guessing their "Air Conditioning" slider is their way of incorporating the weather factor - if so, should it be labeled "Air Conditioning or Heater" perhaps?)

Edited by C-MaxSea

(seems too simple to work for everyone - needs a weather / temperature slider as well?  Guessing their "Air Conditioning" slider is their way of incorporating the weather factor - if so, should it be labeled "Air Conditioning or Heater" perhaps?)

Yeah, I wondered about that too.  

I went back and tried the worst case scenario by advancing everything to the max and it only dropped to 42.5mpg.  Yeah, that ain't right!  :headscratch:

Good find.

AC slider doesn't work correctly.  I get better FE with AC on.  The difference (assuming they reversed the effect) between no AC and always is not accurate for Phoenix (0.7 mpg on the highway). 

The cars are warmed up (their tests are about 90 miles on warmed up engine) so if one take short trips in colder weather, the results will be lower.  

They may have a good base of data but they really need to add additional sliders at minimum for length of trip, cold start, and ambient temperature, average speed.  Otherwise, this is really not much better than the EPA estimates.  For example, I can't move the sliders to get my average of 41 mpg.  The lowest I can get is 42.2 and the conditions don't describe my driving style.  It's actually going to be further off from fuelly numbers than the epa estimates. 

You are right guys, some foul ups there (42.5 per Foto confirmed).  One problem I would note is that they have cut out a large portion of drivers by averaging highway speeds of 65 mph - they need to test at higher speeds, and somehow include 'Freeway/Expressway' on the top, in order to incorporate those drivers (the 65 - 75mph crowd).  (Just like most testing, 50 years behind the fast lane.) ;) ;) ;)

Their oversimplified system probably works for our driving because we have temperate weather and stay at or under 65 mph.

Great start, great potential though - if they let the speeders in (& account for weather, trip length............).  :)

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

We had a really good tank yesterday.

Cruse set at 77mph for most of the tank.

About 450 miles, bought 10.32 gal, low fuel light not on.

Indicated MPG over 42.

On this same trip we usually get in the mid to high 30’s, we drop about 5k’.

The only thing different this trip than the 6 we made last year.

My self-installed Ford style 2014 hood seal….

YEA RIGHT

We didn’t run the AC at all. :yahoo:

Nice find

wonder how everyones personal numbers match up to their site when you adjust the sliders to match your inputs on style and conditions

of course they dont include cold starts which does negatively affect the numbers

its nice to see BETTER numbers for the CMax for once

I haven't been on in a while but I came across this web site and thought I needed to share. IntelliChoice has created there own testing system for rating MPG for vehicles called Real MPG.  Here is a link to how they test vehicles:  http://www.intellichoice.com/real-mpg/how-intellichoice-real-mpg-works.html

And here is how the 2013 CMax faired in their testing: http://www.intellichoice.com/1-12-2013-50058-56/2013-ford-se-4dr-wagon-real-mpg.html

I haven't noticed the news grabbing this up anywhere.

Even if you drove the highway all the time there is still some street driving to get you TO the freeway and lights and traffic and onramps, are always present on your trip (I doubt anyone lives 10 feet from the hwy) so no way you can actually AVG 65 mph even if you drive highway all the time, hence why they have to assume a lower average #

EPA considers anything above 48 mpg average for your entire tank to be 100% Highway driving.

You are right guys, some foul ups there (42.5 per Foto confirmed).  One problem I would note is that they have cut out a large portion of drivers by averaging highway speeds of 65 mph - they need to test at higher speeds, and somehow include 'Freeway/Expressway' on the top, in order to incorporate those drivers (the 65 - 75mph crowd).  (Just like most testing, 50 years behind the fast lane.) ;) ;) ;)

Their oversimplified system probably works for our driving because we have temperate weather and stay at or under 65 mph.

Great start, great potential though - if they let the speeders in (& account for weather, trip length............).  :)

Nick

I don't buy it... Even with the sliders up at heavy traffic, mostly highway, aggressive driving, and AC Always on, which is way more extreme than what we really do, it says 44.1.

We average 36 or so.

In reality our driving would be medium traffic, mostly city, spirited driving, and AC sometimes on.  For this it says 46.5.

For any trip where I see 46.5, I'll see 3 trips that are in the 20s.

Maybe it needed a slider for typical trip distance: Mostly <3 miles, mostly 3-10 miles, mostly 10-40 miles, mostly >40 miles.

[Oh wow - I see Fuelly says our avg. is 34.2 now.]

Edited by PWBarrett

Half way through a trip from MN to FL. Averaging 40.3 MPG for the trip so far. Mostly highway at 70 mph on cruise and air conditioning on. Since spring I've been getting about 44 MPG in my commutes to work. EPA numbers seem about right. What no one factors in is cold weather. Keeping the car warm requires the ICE to run much more severely impacting mileage. Best I can do in mid winter is mid to upper 30's.

dont just go by the default fuelly screen for cmaxes

that includes ALL cmaxes including the european ones that are NOT hybrids and includes DIESELS!

you need to be sure to check the mpg for the filtered results where you only look at the hybrid engine and only one year (2013 or 2014 whichever you own as they are different slightly) and only the hatchback not the others

that filter takes you to here:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/c-max/hybrid%20l4/hatchback

for 2013 its currently 39.6 average for 232 cars

for thre 2014 there is only 2 so far but its more promising with around 41.2 mpg

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/c-max/2014/hybrid%20l2/hatchback

obviously we need a lot more owners posting their #s

also remember there ARE BOGUS users on fuelly who purposely have posyted low mpg numbers as they are CMax/Ford  haters who DONT own the car and want to drag it in the mud

so take the results with a grain of salt as very low mpg numbers should be discounted (throw out the outliers) as any measure of AVERAGE is severely skewed by the high/low values compared to Median and standard deviation

also you dont know which are high mileage CMaxes and which are low mileage and which are cold or warm weather and which are hypermilers and regular drivers or

those who applied the mpg patch update and those who didnt yet

[Oh wow - I see Fuelly says our avg. is 34.2 now.]

Edited by salsaguy