10,000 Mile Service

I expect leave for my 4,000 mile road trip to New Hampshire and back by the beginning of June. Just to help make sure that everything is ready to go for a trip without car trouble, and even though I just crossed the 9,000 mile mark on my C-MAX, I have scheduled my 10,000 mile vehicle service for Friday. Besides, I want to do the service with a dealer that I already know, not in a strange dealership while on the road for such a big trip.

Beyond the regular service, I am making up a list of things to be done/checked, and some of things to be adjusted for new data available concerning the 2013 model. For example, I recall reading that we can now use 0W20 oil, per the new allowance from Ford, matching the 2014, and (hopefully) improving fuel economy.  I also recall that the tire pressure can be raised by 2 PSI over the pressure of the original release vehicle. (Was that the new pressure? I forget the exact number. Does anybody recall?)

Of course, I am going to have the seat recall check and air bag check done, and I am going to have a check done to my GPS module, given the one time that it acted up. I intend to ask about pedal height adjustment. Also, if balancing is not included with tire rotation, I am willing to pay extra to have that done.

Is there anything else that I should request, or that I have forgotten? Just so that you have complete information, I had "The Works" (oil change and tire rotation) done at 5,000 miles. Yeah, I didn't have to do that, but I also don't have to use high test fuel (93 octane) in the tank. What can I say? ;)

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

My dealer technician says they don't carry 0W20, yet, only the stock 5W20 blend. If you want to go that route, check ahead; you may need to bring your own motor oil. Whether you install exactly four quarts, or compensate for the filter, is another subject. If you can, get your fingers in the used oil that drains out. On my first change it looked, felt, and smelled almost like new. 

This also may be your opportunity to experiment with other fuels. I've been a little hesitant about using premium around here (Iowa) because not that much gets pumped. Even E0 regular is a little like that because the great majority goes for the cheapest per gallon, which is E10 regular. 

As reported by timwil56 in the Safety Recall 14S04 thread, apparently dealers are able to reprogram the control module now, even though the 'official' notification won't begin until May 26th. Might as well ask, potentially saving another trip.

The recall notice was posted on my Ford Owners page. If you haven't set one up, you should. Not only does it inform you of any recalls, it's a place to document service. The dealership will enter any service, it's a good way to keep a record of DIY oil and filter changes and a place to get discount coupons for parts and service, I once found a coupon for $18 each, including installation, for a wipers set and air filter for my Escape. You can also easily access information videos and owners and warranty manuals.

I forgot to mention that I checked Etis, and it shows the recalls:

• 14C03 - FRONT SEAT BACK FRAME REPLACEMENT
  • 14S04 - REPROGRAM RESTRAINTS CONTROL MODULE

Hmmm, I would have thought that they would stock the 0W20 for servicing the 2014. I imagine that I should have sparkling clear oil, because I did The Works (rotation and oil) at 5,000 miles. (Again, I know that it's a little in the Overkill Department, but I did this right after my trip to North Carolina, and I wanted to give a little TLC after running up and down all those mountains.) I guess that I'll find out about that tomorrow.

Oh, and I'll remember to re-set the oil meter, since I hear that the servicers frequently forget to do that. ;) 

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

The recall notice was posted on my Ford Owners page. If you haven't set one up, you should. Not only does it inform you of any recalls, it's a place to document service. The dealership will enter any service, it's a good way to keep a record of DIY oil and filter changes and a place to get discount coupons for parts and service, I once found a coupon for $18 each, including installation, for a wipers set and air filter for my Escape. You can also easily access information videos and owners and warranty manuals.

I got an e-mail from the service dept. congratulating me on being proactive in servicing my car, so I checked the Ford Owners site to see if the dealership entered the service. They didn't enter the reprogramming service, but the recall notice was gone and it stated there are no active recall notices for my vehicle. Done and done.

At the dealership. They will use the 0W20 oil, as requested. Just know this, they told me that the oil change with 0W20 is like $70+. Since it will be a long time until the next change, and given the hope of a few more MPGs, I am going for it.

DON'T GO AND MAKE ME FEEL BAD ABOUT THIS DECISION. I don't want to hear about the $19.95 deal that everybody else gets for this.

Please advise how and where you set one up for the users here?

i never heard of this but sounds like a good/cool idea

thanks

Please advise how and where you set one up for the users here?

i never heard of this but sounds like a good/cool idea

thanks

There's an older version of the site, but I'm not sure if it's still available:

owner.ford.com

or there's:

support.ford.com

Edited by timwil56

The service was done. They did not do the update for the Restraint Control Recall fix.

Surprisingly, I think that, even with the oil, it came to about $135 including taxes, disposal fees, and the rest. The verbal report that I got included things like "still like new," and "you take care of your car," things like that. The SA said that this service interval is mostly just checking a bunch of things, and is why it isn't so expensive.

I didn't want to put a tire gauge on to check if the pressure had been raised while I was still at the dealership. That would have been an insulting verification to perform right then and there. In that regard, I would appreciate someone letting me know what the new spec is for tire pressure on the 2014. I have been running stock pressure from day one.

It will be fun to see if the new tire pressure and 0W20 oil give me a few tenths better fuel economy. :)

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

The service was done. They did not do the update for the Restraint Control Recall fix.

I didn't want to put a tire gauge on to check if the pressure had been raised while I was still at the dealership. That would have been an insulting verification to perform right then and there. In that regard, I would appreciate someone letting me know what the new spec is for tire pressure on the 2014. I have been running stock pressure from day one.

Why no RCM update?

38 all around on my 2014 Energi.

I can't believe that I forgot to tell everybody the most important part! 

When I had some previous updates at the dealer, I would always cringe to find how badly they killed my numbers for fuel economy, during the service. This time, I got smart!

I made sure to do a last long .5 Bar burn and then to feather the pedal to keep ICE working to Max SOC. I finished off by gliding with a light application of the brakes, just enough to basically fill the battery indicator to nearly the last bit at the top.

Even after the service, I still had enough juice to get out to the roadway for the first burn on the way home. Of course, this could be after the engine ran a little during the service, but it looked like I maybe lost .1 MPG, and even this pretty much immediately came back on the first leg of the trip back home.

Pretty smart, huh! :hat_tip:

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

I can't believe that I forgot to tell everybody the most important part! 

When I had some previous updates at the dealer, I would always cringe to find how badly they killed my numbers for fuel economy, during the service. This time, I got smart!

I made sure to do a last long .5 Bar burn and then to feather the pedal to keep ICE working to Max SOC. I finished off by gliding with a light application of the brakes, just enough to basically fill the battery indicator to nearly the last bit at the top.

Even after the service, I still had enough juice to get out to the roadway for the first burn on the way home. Of course, this could be after the engine ran a little during the service, but it looked like I maybe lost .1 MPG, and even this pretty much immediately came back on the first leg of the trip back home.

Pretty smart, huh! :hat_tip:

Now that's thinking ahead! I have the same reaction, and I'll be sure to do the same thing next time!

How were you able to plan that so perfectly don't you have to find the perfect road that allowed you to be able to do that without cars/traffic around?

Unless you are in the stop and go of rush hour, I know the routes that avoid traffic, where that is possible. Also, I was just lucky enough to have it work out. On the other hand, I did intend for it to work out this way; it was not just luck.