C-max Shopper

Marc Smith

Hey folks.  thansk for the forum.

I am an 2010 Prius owner...trim iv      bad news, a tree fell on the car while I was stopped at a traffic light.  Car was totaled.  So I'm looking for a new ride.

and based on the money from the Insurance company  it puts me in the ballpark of  a used Prius v(wagon) or a lightly used C-max, or another standard prius hatchback but severl years newer..  Or a 2010 prius with a few bucks left in my pocket...

I am hoping to be "out the door" @ 20K  nice thing...wife is going out of town on business for three weeks, so I'm not in a "rush"  IE  have time to search.   lots of good sales right now and next weekend (end of month)

Not sure how much wiggle room there is on a new 2013, 

I just figured I'd intro myself before I start searching and asking...

fwiw...I only had 9 tanks in the prius since I got it in january,  and I have logged a couple 500+ mile tanks.  hard to be upset with that...  I did test drive a '13 c-max  defintily different than the prius...

post-2136-0-06128600-1401049022_thumb.jpg

post-2136-0-01290200-1401049024_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's pretty freaky, it must have scared the "breakfast" out of you, glad you weren't injured. I have an Energi and love it. It's identical to the Hybrid in every other way, plenty of interior passenger space with quality materials, fit and finish. I've only been a passenger in a Prius once, and wasn't that impressed with the interior layout and materials. I'm not bashing them, I just think Ford really raised the bar in the catagory.  My suggestion, start looking at the pre owned pages on local dealership web sites, cars.com, you know the regular approach and hope you come across one. You may have to chip in a couple of thousand to get a pre owned C-Max, they haven't been out there too long and although trade in value may be low, resale value is still up there. Good luck and I hope you settle on the C-Max.

tim...

here is the one I drove..

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=605911909&listingRecNum=1&criteria=feedSegId%3D28705%26rpp%3D50%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26requestorTrackingInfo%3DRTB_SEARCH%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26stkTypId%3D28881%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26rn%3D0%26zc%3D22182%26rd%3D50%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice%26mdId%3D49085%26stkTyp%3DU%26mkId%3D20015%26prMn%3D0%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMx%3D20000&aff=national&listType=1

I think if I went in with a $20K check  I coudl get it......

yeah the  regular prius with the flying bridge inside is "odd"  but with powered leather seats it is comfortable.   the one thing about the prius v  that I did not like,  when the seats are folded down in the back, its not as finished looking  the seat gaps and such.  but the normal prius and c-max  the rear hatch area seems more finished a few bucks and attention to detail to the prius v woudl have been nice...

was impressed with the pep of the c-max., totaly different feel than the prius...  My car before the prius was a 2010 Chevy HHR with the 2.4l i4.  so from a power to weight ratio the prius was similar to the chevy....I love performance,  but i also understand with a hybrid,  we aren't looking for 0-60.... 

On the c-max all the buttons on the center stack were also  very distracting... and not looking forward to having to stick a garmin in the car...A few months with built in NAV  was pretty nice...

for $1000 more... I could get a new 2014...

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=newcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=607396969&listingRecNum=0&criteria=dlId%3D435707%26feedSegId%3D28705%26rpp%3D50%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26requestorTrackingInfo%3DRTB_SEARCH%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26stkTypId%3D28880%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26rn%3D0%26zc%3D22182%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26mdId%3D49085%26stkTyp%3DN%26mkId%3D20015%26sf1Dir%3DASC&aff=national&listType=1

been reading on the site and it seems that the c-max has had some "teething" problems  for a new model..

Edited by Marc Smith

Those look like pretty good deals. The question I always have with pre owned is why did they trade or sell it after only one year or less, maybe it's one with some of those with early build issues. Plus, 16000+ miles seems like a lot for a 2013, at least with the 2014, they're all your miles and you know how they got there.

The 2013's on the lots are getting some pretty good discounts and Ford rebates, so you may be able to find a base model close to 20k, but not out the door with tax an liscence, and you may even get one of the no interest loans like I just got on my 2014 if you wanted to spend a little more. I agree with the comment I would be concerned about why somebody would sell a new hybrid after a year. It could be because it just did not fit the customer's situation, or it could be because it was not getting good mileage.

Why not put the insurance money towards a new CMax instead of a used one? And Finance the rest.

Surely your prius totaled out gave you a decent check back unless they lowballed the value. Of course first year depreciation always hurts/ takes the most out of the value.

Some insurance companies are offering a 1  year newer car policy if your car is totaled.

Anyways as for used, you don't want to have regrets and inherit someone else's issues and smells :)

Especially in a hybrid with all the tech, lots of improvements have taken place in the first 1.5 years after the cmax launch so most bugs have been worked out of the 2013s and the last of the made 13s and new 14s should be alot better.

You might get a good deal on a new '13 since they want to move inventory but check the VIN on the ettis site for build date to make sure it's a later mfg build and not a very old build early in the production run.

Edited by salsaguy

My car was built in Oct2012 and I haven't had any significant issues so I would recommend go for SEL and look at service report. If the CMAX hasn't had any issue by now I would think that is a good sign. Look at lifetime Fuel mileage.  IMO :) 

Paul

well I got a 2013 SEL  with 11500 on the clock.  no funky smells or anything.   I haven't had a chance to really play with all the info screens  but I did see 6000+ EV miles....

drove it with the sales guy  for about 5 miles got back and then kicked him out and went for a 20 mile ride.  in  a mix of city and highway  was able to get 42 averge  and on  the 60 mile trip home  kep the mpgs close to 45 holding steady at 65...

pretty happy with the purchase...

18,500...  but I have to handle my own tags and taxes... which will put me close to 20k

now I need to order up the weather techs and get the windows tinted...  it was drizzling today  so no pics..  it will happen tomorrow..

now I just need to begin figuring out the gadgetry....

Salsa,  my wife and I have been payment free for over a decade.....Nice to not have to worry about payments...

Edited by Marc Smith

Welcome to the club Marc!   :happy feet:   SEL's are the way to go IMO so good purchase selection.

You'll have all the "gadgets" figured out in no time as they are pretty intuitive.  Just keep poking things till you get it right <that's what she said!>   :lol:

Congrats on your CMax

6000 EV miles means at least 10k regular gas miles.

For gadgets be sure to replace that fugly fishing pole antenna with a modern shark fin antenna.

This is a modern car not a 1950s-1980s car!! Come on Ford.

See here:

http://www.juicedhybrid.com/Ford-C-Max-Shark-Fin-Replacement-Antenna-s/1345.htm

Or similar

And this discussion:

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/1170-shark-fin-antenna/

well I got a 2013 SEL  with 11500 on the clock.  no funky smells or anything.   I haven't had a chance to really play with all the info screens  but I did see 6000+ EV miles....

now I just need to begin figuring out the gadgetry....

Salsa,  my wife and I have been payment free for over a decade.....Nice to not have to worry about payments...

Edited by salsaguy

hmmm

maybe I need to keep the sharkfin antenna from my Prius that I never installed and just get a rattle can and shoot it...

Wish the SEL had nav...  not ready to subscribe to sync yet for 60 bucks a month...

I'll have to read on  to really understand what  EV miles really means..

a big diffeence with the pedal feel on the cmax... vs the prius.  I do miss the EV  and eco switch....

Edited by Marc Smith

Huh? The SEL does have NAV. u just need to get the correct package level

you dont need sirius subscription to use nav

the gps maps are on qn SD card in the middle armrest compartment

hmmm

maybe I need to keep the sharkfin antenna from my Prius that I never installed and just get a rattle can and shoot it...

Wish the SEL had nav...  not ready to subscribe to sync yet for 60 bucks a month...

I'll have to read on  to really understand what  EV miles really means..

a big diffeence with the pedal feel on the cmax... vs the prius.  I do miss the EV  and eco switch....

never heard of monster mats.  got a link?

I'm the landscape and grounds manager at a college campus  so I do occasionally bring home bits of my work on shoes...and I liked the ones I had in my prius...

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FADP5BU1DL526562

here is the window sticker...  it says I have equipment group 300a  and according ford website  no mention of nav...

if its a simple as buying the SD cards  and putting them in the slot...  id do it...  for the time being the garmin rests on the ledge in front of the cd slot...

@ Marc Smith, why weather tech mats and not Monster Mats? the weather tech seem like they arent very attractive? unless you really need side protection from mud/snow?

I see you live in VA so I guess that means cold rain/snow weather? :)

Are Monster Mats available for vehicles other than VW?  All I can find are for VW's.