Size Comparison With an SUV

Marc Smith

So...We are planning a family reunion in Long Island this summer.  We will be shlepping my mother and father-in-law with us.  I was hoping that my Sister-in-law and her hubby would take them in their minivan but since we are going up early and staying later  MIL and FIL  wanted to tag along.

I was thinking of taking out 2008 Saturn Vue Green Line.  But this morning when I walked into the garage today  and looked at the new c-max and my wifes 2008 saturn vue hybrid side by side...  I was amazed as to the similarity in size/shape.  So I went on edmunds.com and compared the measurements...

pretty amazing that the Vue is considered an SUV while the C-max is considered a car...

cmax

Exterior Measurements

WIDTH 6 ft. 0 in. (72 in.) HEIGHT 5 ft. 3.9 in. (63.9 in.) LENGTH 14 ft. 5.6 in. (173.6 in.) FRONT TRACK 5 ft. 0.5 in. (60.5 in.) REAR TRACK 5 ft. 0.4 in. (60.4 in.)

WHEEL BASE 8 ft. 8.3 in. (104.3 in.)

Vue

exterior

WIDTH 6 ft. 0.8 in. (72.8 in.) HEIGHT 5 ft. 7 in. (67 in.) LENGTH 15 ft. 0.1 in. (180.1 in.) GROUND CLEARANCE 0 ft. 7.8 in. (7.8 in.) FRONT TRACK 5 ft. 1.4 in. (61.4 in.) REAR TRACK 5 ft. 1.8 in. (61.8 in.) WHEEL BASE 8 ft. 10.6 in. (106.6 in.

so i wentto the inside dims......

Cmax

Interior Measurements

FRONT HEAD ROOM 41.0 in. FRONT HIP ROOM 54.3 in. FRONT LEG ROOM 43.1 in. FRONT SHOULDER ROOM 55.9 in. REAR HIP ROOM 51.9 in. REAR HEAD ROOM 39.4 in. REAR LEG ROOM 36.5 in. REAR SHOULDER ROOM 55.2 in. EPA INTERIOR VOLUME 124.2 cu.ft. CURB WEIGHT 3607 lbs. CARGO CAPACITY, ALL SEATS IN PLACE 24.5 cu.ft. MAXIMUM CARGO CAPACITY 54.3 cu.ft.

Vue

Interior Measurements

FRONT HEAD ROOM 40.2 in. FRONT HIP ROOM 52.6 in. FRONT LEG ROOM 40.7 in. FRONT SHOULDER ROOM 56.0 in. REAR HIP ROOM 52.9 in. REAR HEAD ROOM 39.3 in. REAR LEG ROOM 36.9 in. REAR SHOULDER ROOM 55.9 in. MAXIMUM TOWING CAPACITY** 1500 lbs. CURB WEIGHT 3825 lbs. CARGO CAPACITY, ALL SEATS IN PLACE 29.2 cu.ft. MAXIMUM CARGO CAPACITY 56.4 cu.ft.

the vue weighs 200lbs more... and has a Cd of .36  while the c-max is .30

maybe a with a bit of tweaking in the ride height of the saturn(now chevy captiva)  and putting the volt drive train  GM could have a "loosely based" SUV that would turn in some impressive fuel numbers.  I like the saturn for what it is,  but a very mild hybrid is really giving it more cred than its worth...

So now  based on the similarity in size,  I'm thinking C-max.  Benefit...fuel as in I'll be using less of it, rear ac ducts, ipod, BT. 

My concern is the rear seats.... and the rear cargo area.  giving up a couple cubic feet could cause some headache, and the rear seats....will stand up to the MIL, Daughter, and Wife, FIL gets shotgun....

On http://www.etis.ford.com/ the official classification is 5-door UAV.

A google search shows that UAV means "urban activity vehicle".

From:  http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/3784-car-classification-c-max/

It has been classified as other things too.

I would be tempted to take the C-Max but storage for luggage will be tough.  If there were only going to be 4 passengers you could lower the small seat in the back and put luggage there but with 5 it sounds challenging.  I vaguely remember someone on the forum installing a roof thing for luggage.

UAV...urban assault vehicle...

UAV  nice new acronym for an old description...  WAGON...  :)

36 deep x 38 wide for the Saturn

31 deep x 40 wide for the c-max...

so its close...  thankfully its a 4 day weekend, not some week long trip ...so, in theory,  a bag that fits in the overhead bin of an airplane per person  should do it...

I guess I could install a trailer hitch.  I do have an external hitch mounted luggage rack, but I'm never fond of crap being outside the vehicle...

Here is my road trippin' setup (Rhino rack roof rack, Curt cargo basket, 2x Yakima High Rollers, Thule rear hitch-mount cargo box, 1x Ecohitch). 

And here it is fully loaded:

Nice.

What were the effects on mileage with all that capacity ?  Is the roof rack removeable ?

Does the cargo box lock onto the hitch somehow ?

Thanks.

Nice.

What were the effects on mileage with all that capacity ? Is the roof rack removeable ?

Does the cargo box lock onto the hitch somehow ?

Thanks.

I think any MPG hit for the cargo box is negligible, as it's out of the way, but with the roof rack only, I'd expect perhaps a 5-10% hit, closer to 5% in my experiences. Adding the roof basket is the killer....looking at a 20%+ hit. I only mount the basket when I need it.

Roof rack is removable, but takes a bit of time to realign when putting it back on.

Cargo box is held in by a screw, but you can buy a lock separately.

I previously owned a GMC Terrain, and I had concerns about cargo capacity, but with the add ons, I can fit all the stuff I used to fit in the GMC with the box alone. The Cmax is actually a little bigger inside. Only exceptions are cargo capacity and rear leg room.

Edited by bro1999

+1 We just did 1400 miles with a cargo platform

- folded up

- loaded with dresser

- folded down

The only problem is the empty runs were all into prevailing wind, so mileage came out about the same, roughtly 40mpg on I-90 at mid-low 70's. Never felt unstable.

Have fun,

Frank

I think any MPG hit for the cargo box is negligible, ...

Pics of the haul... http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2800-whats-in-your-c-max-today/?p=43752

Edited by fbov

I came over from owning a mid-sized SUV for 13 years. The C-Max is certainly smaller but I have been very impressed how much it can still hold. Day-to-day the only real difference between my old and new vehicles is that I have to plan a little more with how cargo is stowed in the C-Max. After owning the car for one year I can't remember a time where I could not haul something in the C-Max that I could in the SUV.

There is a point in the C-Max where the cargo area narrows just behind the seats. That limits how I stow gear and whether I need to put one of the seats down or not. When carrying a rifle I would prefer to keep it in the cargo area with the seats up. But that means it has to go closer to the back and that interferes with some of my other gear so some imaginative packing is required. Not a big deal in the greater scheme of things.

I went from a 2011 Escape to the C-max. The cargo area on the Max is smaller. But it fits my needs. I really don't wish to add a roof rack on this car. I do have a CrossTrek that has a roof rack on it. So on extended vacation we'll use that for now. I went from a 2011 Edge to the Subaru, now that's a change in size!

C'mon now Fotomoto:  your C-max is parked a good three feet closer to the lens and appears larger than the CRV due to an optical illusion.  Nevertheless the specs are pretty close:  the Honda is a good 5 inches longer and an inch higher but same ballpark.

Want your C-max to look as big as an Escalade?

(click on thumbnail--trying to figure out how to add large image)

post-1899-0-32070100-1402347714_thumb.jpg

Edited by Adrian_L

I went from a 2011 Escape to the C-max. The cargo area on the Max is smaller. But it fits my needs. I really don't wish to add a roof rack on this car. I do have a CrossTrek that has a roof rack on it. So on extended vacation we'll use that for now. I went from a 2011 Edge to the Subaru, now that's a change in size!

..and you will take a Subaru over a CMax? I always wanted one, but it has to have an "STi" badge somewhere though ;)  ( would also settle for a "GTR" badge somewhere on another car too :drool: ).

..and you will take a Subaru over a CMax? I always wanted one, but it has to have an "STi" badge somewhere though ;)  ( would also settle for a "GTR" badge somewhere on another car too :drool: ).

ill give a thumbs up on the subbie...  but    I'd live to see a 427 badge,  or a GT500 both on a cars from 40+ years in the past.

if I had to go modern...  Vanquish...

nearly single digit MPG's  and no cargo.  but who cares...  it would take a lot to the the stupid grin off my face...

:redcard: :redcard: :redcard:   You guys are hereby flagged for fiendish thoughts of reckless speed & gas consumption.  No more STI, GTR, yadda, yadda, yadda stuff!   (unless you send one my way of course)

Back to not so silly comparisons, here are some comps relating to the 'lugage' capacity in back with seats up or folded out of the way, and cabin space.

Hmmmmmm not allowing me to add small 10 kb spread.

Edited by C-MaxSea

ill give a thumbs up on the subbie...  but    I'd live to see a 427 badge,  or a GT500 both on a cars from 40+ years in the past.

if I had to go modern...  Vanquish...

nearly single digit MPG's  and no cargo.  but who cares...  it would take a lot to the the stupid grin off my face...

:drool: ...your LIKE just went up tremendously :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

(per #19 above) 

Back to the not so silly comparison of our 'little' C-Max UAV, and some bid bad SUVs (well some not so big and bad, but....)
These are Cargo with back seats up, Cargo with back seats down, and passenger volume.

Ford           VW           BMW           BMW          Audi         MB            Lexus           Kia         Acura
C-Max     Tiguan           X3               X1              Q5    GLK250BT    CT200h     Sportage     MDX

24.5          23.8            27.6              25             29.1         23.3           14.3            26.1         14.8
52.6          56.1            63.3              56             57.3         54.7             X               54.6         68.4
100            95               X                  X               101         103             86               100          132

Clearly some big bad SUVs are not all that big & bad.  But it is interesting that the C-Max measures up to some, and is in the same league with several which are assumed to be larger by the GP.  This is just a sample, there are likely more 'overrated' SUVs out there.

(Not making any value judgments on the many other merits or demerits of each.) 

The 'Little C-Max that Could'  - if in doubt check out our "What's in your C-Max Today" thread in the "Cargo, Hauling, ........." category.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

(per #19 above) 

Back to the not so silly comparison of our 'little' C-Max UAV, and some bid bad SUVs (well some not so big and bad, but....)

These are Cargo with back seats up, Cargo with back seats down, and passenger volume.

Ford           VW           BMW           BMW          Audi         MB            Lexus           Kia

C-Max     Tiguan           X3               X1              Q5    GLK250BT    CT200h     Sportage

24.5          23.8            27.6              25             29.1         23.3           14.3            26.1

52.6          56.1            63.3              56             57.3         54.7             X               54.6

100            95               X                  X               101         103             86               100

Clearly some big bad SUVs are not all that big & bad.  But it is interesting that the C-Max measures up to some, and is in the same league with several which are assumed to be larger by the GP.

(Not making any value judgments on the many other merits or demerits of each.) 

The 'Little C-Max that Could'  - if in doubt check out our "What's in your C-Max" thread.

Nick

Many thanks to Nick for taking the trouble to post.  Reflects my thoughts exactly. 

The point is effectively made that the C-max is, in fact, by any objective standard, a compact SUV - quite regardless of what Ford chooses to label it for marketing and market comparison purposes.  The label that anyone chooses to put on the car (wagon, hatchback, MUV, etc.), simply does not change what it is.

Me thinks of The Bard, i.e. "..............A rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet."

To this list we could add Cadillac SRX, a couple of Mazdas, Hyundai Tucson, a couple of Subarus, a Mercedes B class, Nissan Rogue, Honda CRX, Toyota Rav 4, etc.

And, importantly, we should add the (new) Escape.  (After all, the C-Max is effectively a 2013-14 Escape Hybrid.) The cargo comparison to the Escape would show the amount of cargo space penalty that we should subtract from the others on the list in order to allow for the Hybrid battery and component space requirements.  

Edited by Smiling Jack

How about :   LRRSBWBTYTUSWSBZAV

Low Riding Relatively Small But Way Bigger Than You Think Urban Suburban Whatever Spirited But Zenny Activity Vehicle.

;) ;) ;)

nick

(Yikes, forgot DJAAAWOW - Does Just About Anything And Walks On Water )

((Love The Bard - Bard on the Beach in Vancouver, BC, Bard in the parks in Seattle, ................................  ))

Edited by C-MaxSea

Many thanks to Nick for taking the trouble to post.  Reflects my thoughts exactly. 

The point is effectively made that the C-max is, in fact, by any objective standard, a compact SUV - quite regardless of what Ford chooses to label it for marketing and market comparison purposes.  The label that anyone chooses to put on the car (wagon, hatchback, MUV, etc.), simply does not change what it is.

Sorry, and with the greatest respect.........the Ford C-Max is as much a compact SUV as I am a defensive midfielder for England.  The car lacks four-wheel drive.  It doesn't have a heavy-duty chassis.  Low ground clearance etc. etc.

The Mercedes B200 has almost identical dimensions to the C-Max.  Ditto the Toyota Matrix.  Are they compact SUVs???

Edited by Adrian_L