Recall for airbag software causes CMAX SYNDROME

cmaxski

Owned eleven months now. No issues except for three (3) recalls (13B07; allow to run on battery above 62mph, 13C02; additions of energy absorbers to head liner, 14S04 reprogram for air bags) . 

It is the wife's car and she loves it! She took the CMAX in for an oil change and tire rotation at 10,300 miles on June 11, 2014. I also requested that dealer do recall for air bag (14S04 Reprogram Restraints Cont Module) while they had it. She picked it up from the dealership in the afternoon, drove straight home and parked it in the garage. Just over 24 hours later (car had not been touched since parked), got into vehicle and it is totally dead; no power, zip, zero, nada; nothing.

This is the first time I personally have experienced what I call the "CMAX SYNDROME".

I called the dealership. They said open the hatch and try to jump it. I said it has the power hatch option and I have no power. I had forgotten about the posts under the hood but, I also wanted to measure the voltage right at the battery. I asked him if there is any way to manually open it?       Anyone know the answer???

I told him I was going to get my meter out and check the low voltage battery. He said if I could not get it jumped they would have to literally drag it out of the garage to get it on a tow truck. I told him that is not going to happen! I asked is there no way to get it in to neutral without power?          Anyone know the answer?

Low voltage battery showed 3.5 VDC. I put my battery charger on it. It has a digital display and showed the same as my meter; 3.5. After about 20 seconds on the charger, I heard a click up front and it came to life and the low voltage battery increased to 14.5 volts.

Yellow engine symbol SERVICE ENGINE SOON now on solid. Turned the key to run position and would not display the Ready to Drive indicator. Radio, etc. worked. Drivers door control buttons for windows and mirrors would not work but, individual window controls for the other three windows worked just fine. Turned key to off and waited a minute. Tried it again and same results. Turned key to off and waited a minute. Third times the charm. Yellow engine symbol went off and everything is fine??? Drove it around the neighborhood for a few minutes and no issues. Parked it back in the garage. Low voltage battery reads 12.25 VDC after 90 minutes. Will keep monitoring.

Anyone else had this experience after a reprogram?

• 1 month later...

UPDATE. As of August 03, 2014, no issues. Once the car has relearned when it is near home (within .5 mile) EV+ it has been fine.

I would properly recharge that battery with the charger. The dealer may have killed with the key

on and or door open and just charged it enough to get it going. I've seen this done by techs a lot.

They leave the door open, the key on or the hood up on cars and kill the battery. They slam the

battery charger on it for 5 minutes and park it.  A properly charged battery will take anywhere

for 1 to 3 hours, depending on how dead it is.  Charge it to 100%, so you're not subject to another

dead battery because of some idiot tech.  I always service my battery every 3 to 6 month with my charger.

Edited by drdiesel1