1 out of 10 times @ start I get the orange engine light

david4455

First post...not sure if this is the right thread.

I would say 1 out of 10 times when I start my new C-Max Hybrid I get the orange engine light and the car does not start. I put the clutch back into Park, press the start button again  and usually that does the trick.

My first thought was that I was not allowing the car to properly start. When I push the on button I almost immediately put it into drive before the the green " okay to drive" light comes on and the 3 bells chime.

Yesterday I thought ( I cannot be sure) I did everything right and I still got the orange engine light and had to start the on procedure again.

Anyone else having a similar problem...is this even a problem..or am I just being too hasty once I push the start button.

Thanks.

Edited by david4455

Anyone else having a similar problem...is this even a problem..or am I just being too hasty once I push the start button.

Hello and welcome to the site.  :happy feet:

Yes, it's called a false start and you're just getting too quick with the start up procedure or should I say "boot up".   I think we're either not pushing the brake pedal far enough or letting off too soon.  I've gotten better and now up to a 1-20 ratio.  LOL

Edited by fotomoto

I've had this happen once or twice in almost 2 years.  I hate to say it, but you should check to make sure your "new" car has all the latest software upgrades.  I suggest taking it back to the dealer and advise them of the problem and have them check to see that all "fixes" have been installed.  It's unfortunate, but many updates aren't installed unless the owner complains.

And as fotomoto says, foot on brake, push start, put car in gear, release foot brake.  But in my experience, this can all happen in a couple of seconds, i.e. there's no need to go particularly slowly.

Cheers.

Edited by Bill-N

I've done many false starts BEFORE putting the car in gear.  I'll be doing other things (seatbelt, arranging items, radio, phone, etc) when I notice the a/c isn't cool.  This is due to the compressor not running in accessory mode.  You have the orange engine icon in accessory mode.