FIRST YEAR REPORT

marshtex2

ONE YEAR REPORT

2013 C-Max hybrid SE, white platinum, basic model & trim.  I did add pin stripes, darkened side & rear windows, a Scangauge2, Garmin GPS, LED daytime running lights and back-up horn.

11,000 miles, 22 fill-ups, biggest 13.7 gallons.

General mix, suburban, highway, little city driving, range from 43 to 46 mpg actually measured the old fashioned way.  Highest, 47.5.  Almost no hyper driving effort anymore.  C-Max ‘puter always says 2 to 4 mpg higher at each fill-up.  Run tires at 51 psi.

Most demanding drive, Las Vegas, NV to Sonora, CA through Death Valley up high Sierras very fast, over rugged 10,000 ft, Sonora Pass not very fast, 37.8 real mpg, car handled very well.

Highest speed 113 mph, downhill going through Death Valley, handled very well.

Biggest load, 5 people, hatch area packed solid to the ceiling with luggage, handled very well.

Two strange 12 V battery problems one resulting in re-flashing it’s computer.  No more problems ever since.  Did second oil change at 7,500 miles.  Plan them now for every 10,000 miles.

Watch outs:  Doors will sometimes lock themselves.  Never leave key in, always have spare key in pocket.

Coolest thing:  4 window auto roll down on holding unlock button down after second push.

A worst thing: The key doesn't easliy find the ignition switch slot which is not visible from driver's position.  Ashley, now hear this, Ford could do better.  Check out the basic Toyota Sienna, they've done it right.

Some other strange computer-related events but nothing persistent or serious.

A GREAT LITTLE CAR

and a great Ford C-Max Forum with yall's comments & Ashley's lurking back there to get help from the creator

Edited by marshtex2

I am interested in knowing that, too.  I am paranoid about it so when I get in the car I make sure keys are in pocket so I don't lay them down.  When I get out I feel to make sure they are still in pocket before locking. I guess I can get spare key made and put in my wallet.  Will do that when I get first oil change in several months.

There's a physical key inside the keyless entry fob, as the fob's battery will die one day, and you'll need the key to get in and you'll need to know where to put the dead fob to start the car. All in the Owners' Manual...

Have fun,

Frnak

Good idea Shinytop - a spare thin key in the wallet to compliment the spare in each of two fobs.  I have never worried, always having the key in the ol pants pocket whenever driving - no picky pocket, no problem.   :wub2:   the system - no fiddling with keys, unless rolling down the windows from a distance to air the car out while approaching it.

Edited by C-MaxSea

From the 2014 Manual: Smart Unlocks For Intelligent

Access Keys (If Equipped)
This feature helps to prevent you from
unintentionally locking your intelligent
access key inside your vehicle’s passenger
compartment or rear cargo area.
When you lock your vehicle using the
power door lock control (with the door
open, vehicle in park and ignition off), your
vehicle will search for an intelligent access
key in the passenger compartment after
you close the door. If your vehicle finds a
key, all of the doors will immediately
unlock.
In order to override the smart unlock
feature and intentionally lock the
intelligent access key inside your vehicle,
you can lock your vehicle after all doors
are closed by pressing the lock button on
another intelligent access key or touching
the locking area on the handle with another
intelligent access key in your hand.
When you open one of the front doors and
lock your vehicle using the power door lock
control, all doors will lock then unlock if
the ignition is on.

This  basic model does not come with a smart key but an almost dumb key that will lock and unlock the doors and honk the horn with the little button switches.  My first shock came when I left the key in the switch but turned off, windows rolled up, while getting gas.  All done, doors all locked tight.  Key in pocket saved the day. Since then there have been a few other times when the doors locked themselves.