Strange One ...

nsteblay

My 2013 C-Max is currently at the dealer getting the last 3 recalls, a fix for warping side trim and an oil change.  

There is one other interesting phenomenon I'm having them look at.  I live in Minnesota which has gotten an unusual amount of rain this past June.  After driving in some of the incredible downpores I experienced a disturbing defect in the C-Max.  When raising the rear hatch I would hear a gurgling sound and then water pored out the vent on the left side fo the rear compartment - inside the car!  It appears that the hatch back door has some type of leak that allows water to pool inside it.  When raising the door it somehow pores into the frame of the car (through the tube that carry the electric wires I believe) and then through the vent.  

Wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

I remember reading long ago on the forum about someone with leak problems related to the hatch, and there was some discussion about those little plastic plugs somewhere on the hatch frame.  Some people had the plugs and some didn't and were wandering if they were needed or if they should come out to allow drainage.  Sorry I am not good at having suggest at searching on this forum or I would try to find it.  Hopefully someone else will remember.

My new C-Max thread by Hero161 contains this which may be related: 

They found the leak to be a result of two bolts loose on the the back cargo frame where the back hatch closes. This allowed water to run down and into the interior cabin. These two bolts are in vertical alignment and visible on the right side of the hatch frame when the back hatch is opened. It took our service tech at Bates Ford of Lebanon, TN two days of  seaching for the leak. He removed most of the interior and ran water all over the rear windows and back half of our C-Max. There was a celebration in the shop when he finally found the leak. They told me early on this tech was one of the best on interiors in this area and we are lucky to have him on our C-Max. It rained today and I took a long ride just to be sure everything is ok. (Hated getting my lil Red Wagon wet).

Case solved but you can bet I will watch for a long while.

By the way I'm getting over 41 mpg with a little over 100 total miles.

Edited by Hero161, 10 February 2013 - 09:06 PM.

I remember reading long ago on the forum about someone with leak problems related to the hatch, and there was some discussion about those little plastic plugs somewhere on the hatch frame.  Some people had the plugs and some didn't and were wandering if they were needed or if they should come out to allow drainage.  Sorry I am not good at having suggest at searching on this forum or I would try to find it.  Hopefully someone else will remember.

I saw this issue discussed on this forum as well.  Went out to check my car after reading it and, sure enough, the drain holes were covered by a clear tape -- which I removed.  I suspect that the people who do the new car prep at the dealerships are just not aware of these drain holes being covered.