A Couple of Questions on Settings

Jeff Brandt

Hello, I'm fairly new to my C-Max, but like it far better than the Prius I had before.  No comparison, the Prius can't compare on so many fronts.  Drive the Prius in "Power" mode only, and it will probably not do as well as the C-Max, and if you don't always drive a Prius in "Power" mode, then good luck having any fun.  Drive a Prius in "Econ" mode, and you better plan on a sore foot.  Definitely like the C-Max better!

Okay, now to my questions :

First, I don't like the feature where the car honks when you have the C-Max on and you step out of it with the key in your pocket.  Can I turn that off?

Second, I don't like not being to switch the odometer to "Trip 1" and "Trip 2".  Can I switch the display of the odometer in the lower left to show the "Trip 1" or "Trip 2" instead?  I don't like only being able to see the trip display by replacing the "Empower" display.  Is there any way to do that?

Let me know any thoughts you guys have on this.  Thanks a lot!

Hello, I'm fairly new to my C-Max, but like it far better than the Prius I had before.  No comparison, the Prius can't compare on so many fronts.  Drive the Prius in "Power" mode only, and it will probably not do as well as the C-Max, and if you don't always drive a Prius in "Power" mode, then good luck having any fun.  Drive a Prius in "Econ" mode, and you better plan on a sore foot.  Definitely like the C-Max better!

Okay, now to my questions :

First, I don't like the feature where the car honks when you have the C-Max on and you step out of it with the key in your pocket.  Can I turn that off?

Second, I don't like not being to switch the odometer to "Trip 1" and "Trip 2".  Can I switch the display of the odometer in the lower left to show the "Trip 1" or "Trip 2" instead?  I don't like only being able to see the trip display by replacing the "Empower" display.  Is there any way to do that?

Let me know any thoughts you guys have on this.  Thanks a lot!

No & no. I hated the fact that the Prius took away the odometer to show the trip odometers and that those were the only mpg displays. I also agree that the Prius is far inferior. Now if only Ford would do advertising to show this. They should compare acceleration between the Prius & C-Max, handling, noise level, etc. Then they might actually sell some cars.

I have been reminded on several occasions by the "honk" that Ieft the car on..

but to drone on about prius vs c-max

The problem is that ford was trying to sell the cmax as a prius killer or at the very least an equal on mileage.  They lost that battle even when trying to compare it against the v

Of course the Cmax is going to have better acceleration its got a bigger engine.  Keep in mind that most folks don't buy a hybrid to have mind blowing acceleration or sportscar handling, while spending less than 30K.  For a compact car the prius was acceptable on both counts.  Interior fit on the prius was better than the cmax, but the material quality was lesser on the prius.  a four year old prius with 40K miles  had zero squeaks and rattles, while a ford with half the age and half miles  has gotten annoying.  (glad I have the radio volume turned up)

I will say  that  with my gen3 prius  exceeding the original advertised MPG ratings  was much easier.  With the new MPG (42/37) ratings  the C-max is very easy to exceed the MPG ratings, but getting 47(original) is difficult I know some folks do it but with oil pan heaters, and grill blockers.  I loved the EV switch on the prius.  I love the driving position on the c-max as it more "suv esque" and upright if that makes any sense.  I wish the cmax made better use of the rear cargo area  the prius had much more useful under the floor storage space., and the ford has the stupid bungee nets...(wtf)  IE lots of lost usable space...

The Cmax  should have had a foot pedal e-brake  and a better center console

And lets not even get into resale value...The ford falls flat here.  Keep in mind that  while you may plan "drive your cmax into the ground" and you don't care about resale.  If you ever get into an accident that results in the vehicle being totaled...you are going to get screwed...

Edited by Marc Smith

The Cmax  should have had a foot pedal e-brake

A foot pedal e-brake is a common source of injuries in collisions. I'm glad that Ford doesn't do that. Toyota has much worse crash test results than Ford in general and if you dive into the details their foot pedal e-brakes are often a partial cause of their lower test scores since that pedal becomes a blunt object which can cause severe leg injuries.

A foot pedal e-brake is a common source of injuries in collisions. I'm glad that Ford doesn't do that. Toyota has much worse crash test results than Ford in general and if you dive into the details their foot pedal e-brakes are often a partial cause of their lower test scores since that pedal becomes a blunt object which can cause severe leg injuries.

It's also a common cause of me getting my foot hung up on it as I attempted to exit the vehicle, like on our 08 escape hybrid. I'd much rather have a hand brake than a foot brake.

As I said in the beginning on this post, I used to drive a Prius ('10).  I'll tell you, I found driving it in non-power mode to be very dull.  And when I drove it in the "Econ" mode I'd just prefer to take the bus than even drive.  It's like Toyota added resistance to the gas pedal!  :-)

I liked the point about sitting higher in the C-Max.  Honestly that was a huge selling point for me.  I love the driving the position in the C-Max.

And, this has not been brought up yet, but Ford is saying the battery on a C-Max should easily last the life of the car.  It's made differently than that of the Prius where one has to at least start to wonder about it at 150,000.  I liked to hear Ford say that.  My understanding, from what I read, is that the C-Max will start to experience some MPG decline when the battery gets much older, but at least it should not need to be replaced.

I also like the lack of e-brake on the floor, but mostly because it's an easy visual reference as to whether it's on or not (can't tell you how often I try driving our Durango with the e-brake on and wonder why in heck it is moving so slowly).  Obviously with electronics you can see things better nowadays, but it's still a no-brainer to glance over and tell (and most of the time I never set it anyway -- it's only my wife that does and this way I can undo it right away).  I never know about the accident thing so I thank HybridBear for enlightening us.

Jeff, no one is really sure about how long these batteries will last in ANY of the hybrids.  Just not enough data to build evidence for it.  In any case, by the time it's really an issue the technology will have moved on/improved/changed to the degree I wouldn't worry about it.  Assuming any of us still want to drive our vehicles longer than 8 or 9 years (we're on the 15th for our Durango and the car before that was 17 years) I suspect we may well be able to replace the battery with something else that's far cheaper and better.  At the very least I suspect the batteries can be reconditioned for a fraction of the cost of a new one (there may well be a new industry for this that will grow up in the next decade or so).

Jeff,  my prius was a '10 trim level  iv before the tree fell on it....  in my commute of 18 miles.  5 of it is highway speed  the rest is 25-35mph  stop and go.  my average speed was about 25.  Yeah the econ button made driving tedious.  but all it did was was remap the fuel curve.  WOT was still WOT  ( the hampsters will only run so fast)  IMO  its trying to teach better driving habits.  kinda like our brake coach.  Is the cmax more fun to drive...yes,  bigger engine, better suspension and low profile tires  all help.  I'm sure there are plenty of other cars that are more fun to drive than our c-max.  I guess if I really wanted to have fun driving,  i never would gotten rid of the 66 mustang or the Impala SS...

You want to a drive a really pathetic "hybrid"  saturn vue green line.  uhg...  I think the prius is faster off the line...

There are a few thing about the ford that i would change...  But I think everyone has their wishes. and they are all different...

..........  the C-max is very easy to exceed the MPG ratings, but getting 47(original) is difficult I know some folks do it but with oil pan heaters, and grill blockers. 

A minor correction Marc, and a minor disagreement:  Firstly, we have no grill blockers, no oil pan heaters, not wheel pans, .......................... no aero modifications, and have the original posted 47 MPG (dash 'lifetime' 48.4), so it can be done without mods.  Secondly, I'm not disputing that it can be difficult or impossible to achieve, 'on average', for most due to winter weather, driving patterns, & or refusal to take advantage of the built in intelligent fuel management options on the C-Max.  Nevertheless, I know personally, that I could achieve the meaningless number of 47 in all areas of the lower 48 much of the year, and most areas 3 or 4 seasons of the year.  Just pointing out the exceptions to your 'rule' there, and more importantly, that there is a distinct MPG opportunity available to all that is often not fully utilized.

Yes we are part of a small 'exceptional' (and I believe growing) demographic, but it does exist and could easily be larger.

On a final note, it is actually extremely easy to achieve mid to upper 40s (if not 50) most of the year on extended trips by simply setting the cruise control at 67/68

Driving an ULTRA-smart car, (unless our C-Max is just plain magic)

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

nick,

no doubt  I'm sure if i was more patient, and let the car warm up fully before driving, and if I was was willing to not use the AC in the summer, and if I was a bit better at anticipating the crappy traffic patterns, and if I don't want to get run over by folks doing 10+ over the limit, and if I didn't have to do 200'+ hill climb a couple times on the way to work and home, if I was a bit more careful at not keeping up with traffic...  I'd get closer to the original 47 and beyond...  I'm still striving for the 600 mile tank,  without having a gas can in the car just in case....Been close a few times  but  always chicken out.  as i'm not willing to walk  :)

I just found it easier to get the higher mileage in the prius,  but then it was a prius,  lighter, smaller engine, more slippery body,  it should be easier....right...  :)

It will be interesting to see how my mileage gets in the winter time... no matter, its Still going to be twice as good as the chevy HHR I had before the prius.

Plus I'm only 8 tanks deep in the C-max.  Potentially still a learning curve on  my end.

I like the car for what it is.... an appliance to get me to and from work, is comfortable , reliable, fuel sippy, and still have space for my hobby stuff.

and as a benefit,  none of the "prius hate" on the road from other drivers.

As you mentioned,  getting the most out of the mileage...  is not all car....  it the loose nut behind wheel...:)

Sorry Marc, but FWIW, we do not warm the car up before driving, we do keep up with traffic, we love hills (very little flat here), and use AC some of the time. We will 'crash & burn' our MPGs eventually.

Yes we are an exception, in that we do drive carefully, have fair weather, do longer trips and have a garage.  I'm not suggesting that you or anyone strain at the meaningless number 47, just noting (primarily to your readers) that aero mods are not requisite for good MPGs, and that there are built in opportunities & alternatives to aero mods (ECO Cruise) that are not fully utilized.

Keep on Maxing any which way - a joy no matter how you slice it,

Nick 

Edited by C-MaxSea

nick,

no doubt  I'm sure if i was more patient, and let the car warm up fully before driving, . . .

How would letting the car warm up fully before driving accomplish anything?  In EV mode you would be sitting there doing nothing except draining some accessory energy out of the big battery.  In ICE mode, which would be needed to "warm-up", you would be burning gas while going nowhere - you would be adding some charge to the big battery but you would be doing that when you start moving as well.

I live in the mountains of NE PA and frequently climb more than 200' in elevation changes. Each day as a matter of fact. My average speed is 5 MPH over the speed limits. Look at my fuelly numbers below. On board shows 48.2 Average. Just turned 5000 miles. On a recent trip to Niagara Falls, using mostly highway at 65+ WITH the AC on and 4 people in the car along with luggage we still averaged 43 for that trip. 

I also aware that those numbers will drop in the colder months, just as they did with every vehicle I owned. It is also a car with some faults, just like most new vehicles. I need a trip to the dealer for a few minor issues, just like my 2013 Escape had. I still get recalls on our 2006 Chevy Trailbalzer. We are waiting on parts to be available for that one and it's over 8 years old.  

Be patient and learn what the car wants. It will reward you.  :shift:

before anyone gets the idea.  I'm not trolling...I would love, borderline being orgasmic, if I could get MPG indicated in the 47 range.  I am very happy with what I'm getting(see fuelly below).  but would love to get more  (duh)

with the prius  getting the ICE up to temp was paramount to good MPG, and getting battery warmed up helped as well...   I had about 6 months with the Prius before it was totaled (purchased in january totaled in may). had a grille blocker,  car was garaged... always ran in ECO mode...So I am still running in "prius mode" so to speak....

C-max is the same.  garaged,  no blocker....yet...  I have some fiberglass, epoxy and tools,  so the lower grille maybe removed to make mold for a custom blocker.

My commute...  first 1/2  mile is up hill 200', then 1/2 mile down 200'  then up 100' for 2 mile then from a stop light hard on the gas to merge   0-55 for 3 miles.  then stop.  then  meandering hills for up and down  50-100' for 3 miles. 4 miles for 45,  then down hill 300' for 2 miles at 35   and then 3 miles At 40 level... 

the commute home is the reverse.  based on the GPS my average speed is 25-30...  I know the hill climbs hurt, and the 0-55 to merge really hurts...by the time I get to work by battery is empty...so on the way home I start with zero juice...

I do not use the cruise control in my daily commute....    I have done several trips, and on my trips  I have used the eco cruise and I love it...  I wish all cars used had an  "eco cruise" of sorts.  Ie  not hard on the gas when the speed drops 1mph below the desired speed...

yeah I know  I referred to the car as an appliance, and folks hearts skipped a beat.. sorry......  and to be honest I do love cars.   My Impala SS was set up for road courses, but was also a daily driver  It has turned many laps  at Summit Point, Sebring, and Road Atlanta (full roll cage and 5 pt harness with a trailer for race tires).  I had gone to tech school to rebuild the Gm 4L60E auto trans and had  a spare trans in my garage and did tranny swaps at least once a year...

Heck I was almost hip deep in buying materials for a "LoCost"  had the welder and my eyes on a donor car.  My current desire is a RHD  Works Mini Cooper from the 70's  but my desire to build boats  is a bit stronger(and cheaper)

Currently, my life revolves around getting to work with the occasional side trip (to play with my boats) up to 400 miles each way.

The c-max is far and away much more "fun" to drive the prius, and far and away much better than the Saturn Vue Green Line.  If I felt the Nissan Leaf would suit my needs or the Plug-in-(insert anything)  I would (not a volt, as GM and I don't get along, why I have a saturn is another story altogether).  Heck I'd buy a tesla in a heartbeat,  but I don't have $70Kburn.  :)

I am really glad that I got the C-max over the Prius v I was looking at (fit, finish, age, warranty)...and I'm not upset about the mileage (still waiting for my check though)

I get in the car,  open the garage door.  back out  and drive to work, my phone links up, blue tooth streams pandora...I don't expect to get 50mpg...  I'm happy with the 44 that I'm getting.  I'd love to get more... but I don't see that happening until I really alter my habits or do some mods.....