$90k Mercedes S500 Hybrid guilt-trips drivers into better mpg's

kostby

EDITS:  Somewhere I thought I read the total weight was almost 3.5 tons, 7000 pounds, but calculating 2.5 tons x 2000 = 5000, not 7000.

A 2014 S-500 with 4-matic weighs 4729, so add at least 400+ pounds for the battery alone, and you're easily above 5000.

Haptic-feedback so the gas pedal pushes back when you try to over-accelerate in the car's judgment, radar-sensing of traffic slowing ahead so it switches to EV mode, and GPS that reads the terrain ahead to enhance downhill regen, together result in a 7000- 5000+ pound car that gets 84 MPG.

That figure MUST be eMPG, since it's a plug-in. That's hard to believe, even given the additional technology, given that the C-MAX Energi weighing 3900 (1000 pounds  LESS) is rated at 88 eMPG.

http://www.wired.com/2014/09/mercedes-s500-plug-in-hybrid/

I STILL can't wait until CR race road-tests it...

Edited by kostby

I wonder if that is because it is a plugin with big HVB? I'm not sure if we gain much with our smaller HVB. :)

Paul

The battery in that tank of a car is only 8.4kWh, a modest 11% increase in size over the battery in the C-Max. The 80% increase in weight compared to the C-Max is because its a Mercerdes and made from Germany's finest

kuhscheiße.

7000 5000 lbs, $100 k, for a dumbed down (and systemed up) hybrid monstrosity - BRILLIANT !  Time to just put wheels under the house and drive from bed !

Nein danke; so glad to have all of those cues helpful for intelligent driving built into the dash of our C-Maxes, resulting in a svelt 3500 lb luxo stealth MPG machine.

Edited by C-MaxSea

I thought my A6 was a whale at 4250 pounds. 

Let's not forget these are mpg numbers from Mercedes.  It may turn out that the car only gets 50 mpg and some bank in Dusseldorf will issue rebates in the amount of $5000 or $10000 to disgruntled owners who complain on the Mercedes hybrid forum ("schlechte Ware!!!), prompting a flurry of defensive remarks from other Mercedes hybrid owners who love their cars and the gas pedal that fights with them.

Then one morning........Dr. Schultz in Berlin pushes his starter button and..........nothing!

7000 lbs, $100 k, for a dumbed down (and systemed up) hybrid monstrosity - BRILLIANT !  Time to just put wheels under the house and drive from bed !

No thanks here; so glad to have all of those cues helpful for intelligent driving built into the dash of our C-Maxes resulting in a svelt 3500 lb stealth MPG machine.

But think how efficient that would be , you wouldn't  have to get out of bed to get to work. LOL :lol: :lol2: :shift:

Paul

I thought my A6 was a whale at 4250 pounds. 

Let's not forget these are mpg numbers from Mercedes.  It may turn out that the car only gets 50 mpg and some bank in Dusseldorf will issue rebates in the amount of $5000 or $10000 to disgruntled owners who complain on the Mercedes hybrid forum ("schlechte Ware!!!), prompting a flurry of defensive remarks from other Mercedes hybrid owners who love their cars and the gas pedal that fights with them,

and are either comfortably getting 84-100 MPG, or just don't care.  ;)

Edited by C-MaxSea

I wonder if that is because it is a plugin with big HVB? I'm not sure if we gain much with our smaller HVB. :)

Paul

I was thinking the eco-cruise could use it, such as be generous with the electrical powering if a big down hill is coming up.  Conserve battery if there is a long not steep down hill coming up.  Though now that you mention it, it may not save that much, especially for a driver that is versed on how the C-Max works.

I was thinking the eco-cruise could use it, such as be generous with the electrical powering if a big down hill is coming up.  Conserve battery if there is a long not steep down hill coming up.  Though now that you mention it, it may not save that much, especially for a driver that is versed on how the C-Max works.

I usually try to drain the HVB before going downhill so I can recharge the HVB and not running out of room in it, wasted energy. :)

Paul