Motortrend C-Max Hybrid vs Prius V

darrelld

Thanks for sharing, very interesting take on the whole 'Ford copied the Prius' as well as Toyota not wanting its Prius V compared to the C-Max and especially the hint at the very end for the next gen Prius ... bottom line is I would think that people will definitely cross shop these two as to be honest there isn't much else out there at present that even comes close to these two, although (and I didn't check the cargo stats) the less cargo space available C-Max Energi might be cross shopped with the Prius plug-in as well as the Volt but perhaps not. What is interesting is when they were driving both on higher speed roads and how noticeably more quiet the C-Max was over the Prius V --- I can attest to that as well as the Prius V I test drove was 'boomy' at any speeds over 50 and lots of noise filtered into the cabin.

Good video, no surprises, the C-Max is heaver, quieter & basically a 'drivers' car, the Prius V is smoother riding than the regular Prius + more cargo room in the V so guess it comes down to what is important to you anyway it hints at a new Prius, what might be new, Li-ion battery yes, radically new body style ?

Best video I've seen on Prius v vs. CMAX so far. I liked the Toyota vs. Ford hybrid roots conversation too.

First time I've seen a video talking about how Ford supposedly paid 'closer attention' to EPA testing related to the 47mpg rating.

I am looking forward to the next gen prius in 2015 ... not coincidentally that's when my CMax 3 year lease ends so if Toyota ups the ante on the hybrid tech as promised I will have some fun evaluating which car to keep/buy.

You don't save much per year going from 50 to 60 mpg. Just $186 according to the EPA calculator (link below), and that's at 15K miles per year. At 10K, it's only $124. But Toyota would rather have the customers be ignorant and feel good believing they're saving a ton of money on gas.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/savemoney.shtml

You don't save much per year going from 50 to 60 mpg. Just $186 according to the EPA calculator (link below), and that's at 15K miles per year. At 10K, it's only $124. But Toyota would rather have the customers be ignorant and feel good believing they're saving a ton of money on gas.

http://www.fuelecono...savemoney.shtml

I am happy with the 40/41 I'm getting on the CMax, esp. with the extra creature comforts and driving fun over the Prius. What I'm more interested in more so than the supposed 60 mpg of the next gen Prius are the hinted significant body styling changes - it might turn out looking more sporty and - dare I say - normal, than the existing car. Again, we'll see..