Synch Dropping Phone Connection

I have been successfully using my ZTE Z992 (Android v 4.1.1) for over 6 months to place and receive phone calls using Synch/bluetooth connection (on base Ford Synch system...i.e. no touch screen). For some reason, it will not work now.

Both Synch and phone displays show Bluetooth connection is established. However, when I try to use phone, Synch states there is no phone available, and will attempt to find phone. None of the troubleshooting steps on Synch website helped (http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/troubleshooting-sync).

So, I stopped by Ford and technician monitored the Bluetooth connection status on my phone and said that for some reason, Synch is turning off the "Phone Audio" feature, leaving only "Media Audio" Bluetooth connection. He indicated vehicle re-programming is required, and made an appointment. Phone software version and Synch software version are the same when I got both the car and phone, so not sure how the software could have changed and needs re-programming.

Has anyone else had similar problem?  Any suggestions on how to fix?  Thanks.

I have had issues only when Android updates. It will sometimes do it without me knowing, and then I have to delete and then re-pair the phone. It acts just like you are saying when that happens, but deleting Synch from the phone device, deleting the phone from Synch, and starting from scratch always fixes the issue.

Also, I'd at least check the phone settings to make sure that Bluetooth still allows both phone and media, just to make sure.

I often get that message about Synch trying to connect to the previously paired device, but then it always starts playing within five seconds after that.

Hi Zathrus,

Like ScubaDadMiami stated, deleting and re-pairing your phone should correct this; if you performed all of the troubleshooting on that link and it's still not working, keep your appointment with your dealership. If it's still not working after they reprogram your SYNC, let me know and we will go from there. :)

Rebecca

Can't speak much where Androids are concerned through the MFT.  But I can say mine doesn't work with my iPhone 5 anymore.  I can make out-going calls with some success, but forget receiving in-coming calls.  Can't wait to get my new iPhone 6 should be a whole new set of issues. :gaah:

Works fine with my wife's iPhone 6 -- my 6 Plus is coming today (should be here any minute now) and we'll see (my phone is the primary so any issues should present themselves there, I would imagine).

Then again, the number of phone calls I actually GET per year is less than anyone's ever had a battery failure.  And getting one in the car would be equivalent to being struck by lightning <g>.

I have had issues only when Android updates. It will sometimes do it without me knowing, and then I have to delete and then re-pair the phone. It acts just like you are saying when that happens, but deleting Synch from the phone device, deleting the phone from Synch, and starting from scratch always fixes the issue.

Also, I'd at least check the phone settings to make sure that Bluetooth still allows both phone and media, just to make sure.

I often get that message about Synch trying to connect to the previously paired device, but then it always starts playing within five seconds after that.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried deleting BT on both phone and Synch, then re-pairing, but no luck.  Ford Tech did same...no luck either.

Hi Zathrus,

Like ScubaDadMiami stated, deleting and re-pairing your phone should correct this; if you performed all of the troubleshooting on that link and it's still not working, keep your appointment with your dealership. If it's still not working after they reprogram your SYNC, let me know and we will go from there. :)

Rebecca

Rebecca...Thanks for the suggestions. Ford tech re-programmed, and BT Phone connections are now working better than ever (including acceptable volume, which was always very low). I asked the tech what could have caused the glitch in the first place...he just pointed to the Microsoft label on the Synch and smiled... :).