Ford Service

CassidyB

Ten years of Honda ownership and now a Ford in the family.. I bought my C-Max out of state.. Since the purchase, I've bought floor mats and splash guards from my local dealer.. When I inquired about splash guard installation, I was informed that it wasn't "rocket science". My front driver door and front left quarter were misaligned. My local dealer told me that it could be within Fords guidelines and that they didn't know enough about the C-Max to do anything about it. Two weeks ago my a/c froze and I called the service department, only to be told that they were undermanned and it would 4 or 5 days before they could address an a/c issue.

Never had this issue with any Honda service department.

Is this typical of Ford service?

Oh boy. That scares me. I've never owned a Ford either and I'm looking to buy my C-Max from a dealer an hour away. If I ever need service I'm not going to want to take it to him. I've heard dealerships can put you on a wait if you didn't buy the vehicle from them.

That's never happened to me with Honda. Multiple dealerships have serviced my Element and I've never had a problem. :(

I haven't needed any service yet on my C-Max, but I have been quite happy with the dealer I bought it from (and I have owned a couple of Fords in the past as well).

That said, I think Ford could have done a better job preparing their dealerships for this new car. Sometime you will read on this forum of the new car owners knowing more about the C-Max than the dealership.

Ten years of Honda ownership and now a Ford in the family.. I bought my C-Max out of state.. Since the purchase, I've bought floor mats and splash guards from my local dealer.. When I inquired about splash guard installation, I was informed that it wasn't "rocket science". My front driver door and front left quarter were misaligned. My local dealer told me that it could be within Fords guidelines and that they didn't know enough about the C-Max to do anything about it. Two weeks ago my a/c froze and I called the service department, only to be told that they were undermanned and it would 4 or 5 days before they could address an a/c issue.

In my experience, Ford dealers vary greatly in their service. Currently I have a wonderful dealer that does service on my car. My parents, who live in another state, can't find anyone to fix an oil leak in their Explorer after 2 weeks. Maybe http://www.dealerrater.com/ will help some?

Dealerships are independently owned and their service centers can be night and day in quality regardless of whether it's a Ford dealership or any other brand. It took multiple bad experiences with my local Ford dealership's service center before I started going to the neighboring city's Ford dealership. When the better dealership starting fixing things my local dealership couldn't figure out I asked the mechanic about the difference. His response was that because they're a larger dealership with a bigger service center their mechanics specialize (i.e. he was the transmission guy). He said at smaller dealerships the same guy has to do more (transmissions, a/c, engine, etc) so they never get really good with a specific component. He also said the smaller service centers have higher turn over and less experienced mechanics.

Long story short that dealership sucks, not Ford. Find a different one who's happy to have your business.

Edited by dtorres

I have had three Mercury's, one Lincoln and now a Ford C Max. I have had the good fortune to have very good service departments in all of the vehicles I have had over the years. Granted I have had very little need for service other than routine maintenance. I have heard of some dealerships with bad service reputations and if that is yours I would check the customer review sections on the internet for other dealers in your area with hopefully a good reputation. Good luck because your ownership experience with great customer service makes all the difference. Good luck

Sounds like you are using a poor dealership. Check around for another one. The two I normally use have been no problems, even checked my 'dead battery' , recharged it for free, reviewed the car for any TSB's and found one and did the upgrade.

Can you elaborate on the TSB and perhaps create a new topic under the 'Repair, Maintenance and TSB' heading?

I'm sure others have no idea there is already one for the C-Max.

Thanks

In my experience, Ford dealers vary greatly in their service. Currently I have a wonderful dealer that does service on my car. My parents, who live in another state, can't find anyone to fix an oil leak in their Explorer after 2 weeks. Maybe http://www.dealerrater.com/ will help some?

Thanks for the link. There is no way I would take my car to the dealer I purchased from, but I found one which is not too far away and had received a very high rating.

• 2 months later...

I took my C-Max in because the right front door was not in alignment with the front fender, took them less than 30 minutes to repair. I also have a 2011 Ford Ranger that the doors did not fit correctly, I had those adjusted also. I found it interesting that when I called the selling dealership for the Ranger, they told me they would need to contact a Ford rep, and the rep would need to come out to look at my truck and determine if a adjustment was needed. I called bs on that and called another dealership. They told me to come down and they would take a peek at it. Before I knew it, they had all the doors adjusted, no charge even though they were not the selling dealership. Guess who got the sell on the new C-Max and all my future service work! I recommend finding a good dealership and building a relationship with them. But, remember, a relationship is a two way street. If you find a good dealership, reward them with your future service work and other business.

I took my C-Max in because the right front door was not in alignment with the front fender, took them less than 30 minutes to repair. I also have a 2011 Ford Ranger that the doors did not fit correctly, I had those adjusted also. I found it interesting that when I called the selling dealership for the Ranger, they told me they would need to contact a Ford rep, and the rep would need to come out to look at my truck and determine if a adjustment was needed. I called bs on that and called another dealership. They told me to come down and they would take a peek at it. Before I knew it, they had all the doors adjusted, no charge even though they were not the selling dealership. Guess who got the sell on the new C-Max and all my future service work! I recommend finding a good dealership and building a relationship with them. But, remember, a relationship is a two way street. If you find a good dealership, reward them with your future service work and other business.

+1 that is the main reason why my business for our family's new CMax went to Galpin Motors.

There is another thread here that is useful for us new CMax owners, basically testimonials/comments as to which are the  :runaway: service dealers and which are the :rockon: dealers    : http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/index.php?/topic/917-recommended-dealers-for-purchasing-and-servicing-a-c-max/

A guy approached my at the YMCA and asked how I liked my C-Max.. I told him i liked it, but was having some electronic issues. His response "I'm the Long Lewis Ford service manager, bring it on in". I don't think I will have any dealer issues in the future.

LOL, sure that was not his "stage" name? :happy feet: