Extended Warranty

Caldecott

I bought the Ford Premium ESP for 75K Miles / 5 Years due to my C-Max SEL, with the 303A Equipment Group, being a very "gadget loaded vehicle" and a first model year as well. To me Extended Warranties are a just another from of "Insurance" even if that term is not technically correct. I am betting I'll need it and it will pay for itself, FoMoCo is betting it is just pure profit for them... With the price of the "gadgets" much less the labor involved, the price of the "insurance" is worth it to me. I can always cancel it and take a prorated refund if I trade early. Any Ford dealer can sell you a Ford Plan so it pays to shop around and get competitive pricing.

I would not assume that the ESP Plan will give you more value when selling a car unless it is a private sale. I have been told to cancel the contract on every car I have ever traded. Being a cynic I suspect the dealerships want a chance to sell the buyer a new ESP, not roll yours over for a minimal amount.

If you really only plan to keep the car for 3 years or so I think you will be wasting your money adding the ESP. The standard warranty is bumper to bumper 3/36 powertrain 5/60 and hybrid components is 8/80. I was quoted around $1100 for 6/60 ESP. I don't believe the trade in value on a 3-4 y/o car would be any greater with the ESP.

I would not assume that the ESP Plan will give you more value when selling a car unless it is a private sale. I have been told to cancel the contract on every car I have ever traded. Being a cynic I suspect the dealerships want a chance to sell the buyer a new ESP, not roll yours over for a minimal amount.

I order for the new buyer of a used car to benefit from an existing ESP, it would have to be transferred to them from you. Many dealers do not want to tell the new buyer anything about an existing ESP. This is why the dealer will tell you to get a refund on the balance left and apply that cash on the new car's extended warranty. There is a good chance that if you don't do it that way you are just out the money and the new owner will not benefit either.

I have been on the fence with regard to the warranty, since although I like the c-max, I don't think I will keep it more than a couple years. If I were going to keep it 7 years, I would get the ESP warranty since it is both a new vehicle and a gadget laden. There is just a lot to go wrong.

If you do buy - do not buy it from the dealer. No matter what kind of "deal" they suggest, they are very unlikely to match an online price - and if they will match it, you may want to re-evaluate the deal from ground up since dealers will pinch the copper off a penny before they would give it up.

This was one of the cheapest places I found when looking online for an ESP warranty (before I decided it was not for me)

http://andersonandkoch-ford-warranty.com

I have been on the fence with regard to the warranty, since although I like the c-max, I don't think I will keep it more than a couple years. If I were going to keep it 7 years, I would get the ESP warranty since it is both a new vehicle and a gadget laden. There is just a lot to go wrong.

If you do buy - do not buy it from the dealer. No matter what kind of "deal" they suggest, they are very unlikely to match an online price - and if they will match it, you may want to re-evaluate the deal from ground up since dealers will pinch the copper off a penny before they would give it up.

This was one of the cheapest places I found when looking online for an ESP warranty (before I decided it was not for me)

http://andersonandkoch-ford-warranty.com

Thanks for posting the link. I can't believe the difference. My dealer quoted me at the time of purchase $1100 for a 6/60 ESP on my C Max. Anderson & Koch quoted $585 for the same plan. That's huge! Have you purchased from them in the past?

I've purchased these online plans before and there is only one issue that may arise. First off this is the official Ford warranty and will be honored at any dealership. The only downside is if you sell the car early you can in theory cancel the warranty and get a partial refund. However its almost impossible to cancel the online warranty because it has to be canceled at the dealership who sold it. In my experience they make it difficult to cancel the warranty if you sell the vehicle early. With a local dealership you can go in directly and bug them until they cancel it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of not buying the extended warranty. After three years (when the new car warranty expires) I can then decide whether to buy the extended warranty or not. If I have had a lot of problems with the car by then, then I would probably purchase the warranty. If I had not had any problems, then I would probably pass.

Anyone see a downside to this?

I was thinking of not buying the extended warranty. After three years (when the new car warranty expires) I can then decide whether to buy the extended warranty or not. If I have had a lot of problems with the car by then, then I would probably purchase the warranty. If I had not had any problems, then I would probably pass.

Anyone see a downside to this?

I am planning on doing the same thing. So I will curious to hear any downside too.

I was thinking of not buying the extended warranty. After three years (when the new car warranty expires) I can then decide whether to buy the extended warranty or not. If I have had a lot of problems with the car by then, then I would probably purchase the warranty. If I had not had any problems, then I would probably pass. Anyone see a downside to this?

I am planning on doing the same thing. So I will curious to hear any downside too.

The only potential "downside" I am aware of is that you will pay more for a Ford Extended Warranty on a three year old "used" vehicle than when it is "new". I would check:

• The cost both ways, new and on a three year old car. I'd use a 2009 Focus as a "used" car and a 2012 Focus as a "new" car comparison point since the C-Max is too new to establish a "used" cost. That should give you an idea of the values each way....
  • The available length, as in time and mileage, of the plans.
  • The available coverage of the "new" and "used" plans.

Do the "math" and see what makes sense... :)

The only potential "downside" I am aware of is that you will pay more for a Ford Extended Warranty on a three year old "used" vehicle than when it is "new". I would check:
  • The cost both ways, new and on a three year old car. I'd use a 2009 Focus as a "used" car and a 2012 Focus as a "new" car comparison point since the C-Max is too new to establish a "used" cost. That should give you an idea of the values each way....
  • The available length, as in time and mileage, of the plans.
  • The available coverage of the "new" and "used" plans.

Do the "math" and see what makes sense... :)

Form my quick look doing what you suggested, seemed like a $100 difference for the used version compared to the new. I looked at a fusion using the same method, and it too was 100 dollars.

For me, 100 dollars extra, versus possibly saving over a grand is worth the trade off of waiting I think.

Although, in three years, the price of the warranty may go way up if there are a lot of problems with the C-max too. The whole idea of a warranty is a gamble of course.

Edited by zhackwyatt

• 2 weeks later...

In this thread writers are saying the C-Max is new to the US roads, but I have read, I think with out mistake, that it has been used for 10 years in Europe, and the hybrid has been on the road for 2 years in Europe, so that does give some shake down time to the 'New C-Max'.

In this thread writers are saying the C-Max is new to the US roads, but I have read, I think with out mistake, that it has been used for 10 years in Europe, and the hybrid has been on the road for 2 years in Europe, so that does give some shake down time to the 'New C-Max'.

I don't believe there is a hybrid version of the C-Max in Europe, it is either a Diesel or Gas powered.  That is why we have the raised cargo floor over the battery, the car wasn't originally designed to be a hybrid...

EDIT:  The Ford UK only list Gas versions in their current C-Max brochure...  The Eco-Boost version shows a 127MPH top speed!

Edited by RedLdr1

• 3 weeks later...
There are extended warranties available from other sources with comparable coverage for substantially less money than the Ford ESP.

Please note I am not bashing the Ford extended warranty--just noting there are competitors available and at less cost.

The down side to that is these policies are not guaranteed to be accepted by all Fords dealer service departments.   The online Ford ESP is guaranteed to be accepted by all Ford service departments in the U.S. and Canada.  To me that is worth the little bit more you'll pay for the online Ford ESP.