What the Heck is a C Max?

jmckinley

Every time I mention to someone that I have ordered a Ford C Max, I invariably get "Whut the H--- is That?" Then they look at you like you're stupid, or insane, or both.

Absolutely no one, but no one has heard of the C Max.  Not even the Prius owners I know.

I'm going to stop mentioning it, it's just too irritating.  Now if I can get DW to keep her mouth shut, I'm all set.

Tell em you bought a Ford.

I suppose, the next question you'll be asked is one of two, or three:

a) "Are you serious?"

b) "You bought a truck?"

c) "What kind?"

So, then tell em a "Hybrid."

That's illicit a response like "I didn't know they made one."

You can then say, "They make several."  I can think of 2 offhand before including Lincoln all using the C-Max power train.

You can take from there...

Edited by nemonik

All good suggestions.  I like "It's European",  that should confuse them.  I used "Tall Focus", but that didn't seem to register.

I also got "Never buy a first year car.  Too many problems".  

Tough to argue with that logic, but I tempered it with, "It's built on the proven Focus Platform and the hybrid drive train has been around for ten years since it sprung from the Aisin/TRW design used in the Prius so there really isn't that much new stuff."

I neglected to mention the dead batteries, sticking doors, malfunctioning foot tailgate, etc and the everpopular Sych/Touch mysteries.

I get the same reaction.... duhhh..

I tell them that it is Ford's Prius killer......yeahhh

I mention that it is like the cockpit of the new Escape. It is a bit lower with the front and rear end smaller.  They wince a bit.

I then explain the 47 MPG part.  They ask if I have a brochure and want to go for a ride when the car arrives!

Not sure why they went with that name in the US but it has European origins. It Europe they use letters for certain car sizes. A Fiesta sized car is a B size (there is a B max in Europe). Next size up is a C size car. Ford took a C sized car and made it as big as they could while still on a C platform and called it the C-Max (maximum sized C car). Name makes sense in Europe but odd for the US. They should have called it the Energi and the Energi Plug-In.

Name makes sense in Europe but odd for the US.

The name is growing on me.  Now, I kind of like it.  It is a little bit different, but not too odd or outlandish.  I like the "Max" part of it.

Also, it is funny watching the U.S. auto press figure out what to call it.  Is it a hatchback, a wagon, a crossover, or even a micro-van?  Over in Europe, it is in the category of MPV (=multi-purpose vehicle), and I like that designation.