ADV ASSESSMENT

nemonik

I supposedly bought at $500 over invoice.

But my dealer tucked in a $468 "ADV ASSESsMENT" fee into my order. :rant2:

Explained here:

http://socialposer.com/help-please-share-your-input-on-auto-dealer-advertising-assessments/

That and a $49.84 fuel charge to "fill" the tank at the factory not included in the $795.00 destination and delivery fee.

How many of you have seen the "ADV ASSESSMENT" fee?

I've been driving (and buying) Fords since I got my license. The advertising fee is b.s. in my opinion but unfortunately has become common place with several manufacturers. I first saw it when I bought my '06 Escape and it was about $325. On my C-Max it was $389. They vary by region and model. Ford also charges for the first tank of gas now but at least you'll get it filled up.

If you're a Costco member check their Auto program. My C-Max was $300 over invoice + advertising fee + fuel charge - $1000 rebate.

I did not have this fee when I purchased mine a couple of weeks ago.  They attempted to charge me a $795 "Doc Fee" and quickly dropped it to $99.  I refused to pay the $99 and told them to do the deal without docs if they needed to.  They decided that it wasn't worth it to keep it on there.  They also tried to throw in a $49 Nitro Fill fee and said that it was already done and that it had to be charged too.  I told them that I would be happy to deflate the tires and use the Tire Mobility Kit to refill them.  They removed the charge and left them filled (Not sure if it really makes a difference anyways from what I have read).  I have never heard of any dealer charging for fuel and I would not have paid for that either.  I have the X-Plan through my employer, which allows our purchase to be $100 over invoice.  If you are employed by a large corporation, find out if they participate in the X-Plan with Ford.  If you're not sure, always ask the dealer to look your employer up to check and see if they participate.  It saved me about $3000 off the sticker on the C-Max.

Full Disclosure - I have no problem taking my time negotiating... We started Saturday night around 8PM and we shook hands on Tuesday around 11AM ;)

Edited by FoutsNC

Note to self: Costco ontop of having well paid employees instead of Walmart slave labor, a CEO that makes a reasonable salary in comparison to others ($350,000 and bonus of $190,400 in fiscal 2010. Including stock awards and other pay, he received $3.5 million.), and the $1.50 Costco Hot Dog priced the same as the day the chain opened ALSO has a car buying plan.

The Costco quote I got on a C Max was invoice plus $1000 and they low-balled my trade. Their best offer was my trade plus $6300 in exchange for a C Max SEL with the 302A package and pano roof. Another dealer beat the price by $800 and offered $2000 more for my trade. After everything it came out to my car plus $3500.

I had heard the Costco deal was really good, but I guess it depends on the car.

Mtberman

Sounds like you came out O.K. with your final deal. A word of caution though for others using Costco to buy their C-Max like I did. If my experience if you ask a salesman they'll say yes were a Costco dealer to try and work a sale with you. They'll present you a price and say it's the Costco price when it's not.

The way the program works is you send Costco a request first for your specific car. You then get a callback from the specific dealership Costco refers you too. You deal with the Fleet or Internet Sales Manager at that dealership not a salesman and schedule an appointment with them. When you go in they are required to show you the Costco cost sheet for your vehicle which shows the invoice and Costco price for that model and/or options on that model. It's straight forward and easy with no haggling.

• 3 weeks later...

I did the Costco plan and it was supposed to be $300 over invoice.  But the dealer I wanted to use was not in the Costco plan I found out but the sales manager said not only would he match the plan price but beat it by $100 bucks.  That with the trade-in and rebate the deal was fairly good in my opinion.

Happy Camper