Plug-in kit to for the C-Max Hybrid?

AgentCMAX

I noticed that sometimes when I get home, my C-Max battery is pretty low on charge (maybe 1/5 or 1/4 charged).  I was thinking it would be nice to charge that battery up over night.  But I'm not interested in a bigger battery like the Energi.  I simply want the Hybrid's battery to get charged.  What would it take to accomplish this?  Would it be possible to do it w/ a portable solar cell so I can set it up at work?

What I am thinking of is some sort of portable unit with a power cord where on one end has a quick-disconnect and on the other end, connects to the Hybrid's battery so that this cord can stay inside the car and remains connected to the battery for easy connect/disconnect.  Then, portable unit that can be connected to the wall or to a portable solar cell panel.

Sort of like those battery tender devices but capable of delivering enough amperage or wattage (?) to charge the high-voltage battery in the Hybrid.

Thoughts?  Referrals?  Links?

Thanks!

The EV+ function figures out when you are close to home and raises the threshold for EV mode to try and use up as much of the stored energy as possible during the the last 1/2 mile or so before you get home or to some other frequent destination.  That's why the battery is always low when you get home.

The battery capacity is 1.4 KWH, so using a 110 V outlet at home would only require an hour or two to recharge the battery at a low rate.  The problem would be finding a suitable charger.  The battery pack is around 280 volts and is Lithium Ion so would require a pretty unusual charger.  Not sure where we can find one at a reasonable price.

Good Luck with that. I'd assume that as soon as you connected anything to your battery, your warranty would go bye bye.

I second that.

Also, unlike the 12V battery, the hybrid battery is several hundred volts!  They don't include the 120 to HV charger circuitry in the Hybrid like they do in the Energi.  Anybody trying to do it themselves would probably stand a good chance of destroying the battery - lithium batteries are very picky about how they get charged.

(It would be cool if such a thing existed, but even after all this time I've never heard of a Prius owner doing that.)

What I'd like to be able to do is go the other way and be able to use the Hybrid battery to jump-start the 12V system (after stepping it way down of course).

I noticed that sometimes when I get home, my C-Max battery is pretty low on charge (maybe 1/5 or 1/4 charged). I was thinking it would be nice to charge that battery up over night. But I'm not interested in a bigger battery like the Energi. I simply want the Hybrid's battery to get charged. What would it take to accomplish this? Would it be possible to do it w/ a portable solar cell so I can set it up at work?

What I am thinking of is some sort of portable unit with a power cord where on one end has a quick-disconnect and on the other end, connects to the Hybrid's battery so that this cord can stay inside the car and remains connected to the battery for easy connect/disconnect. Then, portable unit that can be connected to the wall or to a portable solar cell panel.

Sort of like those battery tender devices but capable of delivering enough amperage or wattage (?) to charge the high-voltage battery in the Hybrid.

Thoughts? Referrals? Links?

Thanks!

Your best option is ordering the Energi charging circuit parts and using those. I believe the only difference in the batteries is capacity since the traction motors are the same.

(It would be cool if such a thing existed, but even after all this time I've never heard of a Prius owner doing that.)

I googled on this topic and there are actually companies out there (since 2007) that have been converting Prii to plug-in (even before there were a plug-in Prius) as well as Ford Escape hybrids.  I'm sure there are some pretty bright people who knows what they're doing.

I spent the afternoon researching the charging options for the CMax Energi (I have one on order - waiting for delivery).  Here are some interesting things I learned:

The 16amp would be fine if only using for the CMax Energi - as it has a low-power charger. But if you want to use it with any other cars, such as a 2013 Leaf or a Focus electric then the 30amp is a better choice - especially if you want to future-proof. The 30amp versions may require more heavy duty wiring than the 16amp.

CMax Energi does not have an on-board charging timer. (At least that we can access). It charges when you plug it in.

We might be able to schedule it with MyFordMobile once Ford gets that working for the CMax but I won't know until I can get in with my VIN...

Electrical codes vary by locale. Everyone should check with their local governments on these things. Where I live you are allowed to personally wire inside a home you own, without a license - as long as it is from the panel inside the home. If you have to go outside the panel it has to be an electrician. Check your codes.

If you have an older panel or power tap, you may not have enough capacity for another 240 circuit or a high amperage draw. If there is any doubt or question get an electrician. Older wiring won't take the Level2 charger all that well.

• 4 months later...

Hmm, it's sounding like charging the lithium battery is something of a thorny problem, I had considered this myself- but not as in depth as those commenting above... 

What about adding additional batteries?

Heard a rumor about a guy who bought some batteries at Walmart in Georgia and installed them himself in his C-max hybrid and was getting 100mpg... sounds pretty urban-legendy, but I could see it having a beneficial effect with a lot less hassle...

When you get home pull into the garage and drive the front wheels onto a electric powered dyno, turn the dyno on

to spin the front wheels and press the brake until the battery is charged.  :)

Not a bad Idea but where can one find such a beast?

But I'm not interested in a bigger battery like the Energi.  I simply want the Hybrid's battery to get charged.  What would it take to accomplish this?  Would it be possible to do it w/ a portable solar cell so I can set it up at work?

Thoughts?  Referrals?  Links?

How big is your wallet?  http://www.re-involt.com/Plug-In_Conversions_for_Hyb.html   No C-Max version yet but I'm sure they would work with you to build a custom solution for a few bucks more!  <wink, wink>

Trading in your c-max for an Energi model with a factory backed warranty makes a lot more sense/cents.

How big is your wallet?  http://www.re-involt.com/Plug-In_Conversions_for_Hyb.html   No C-Max version yet but I'm sure they would work with you to build a custom solution for a few bucks more!  <wink, wink>

Trading in your c-max for an Energi model with a factory backed warranty makes a lot more sense/cents.

Exactly. Boy, would I luv to drive the Energi for my work to see what I can squeeze out of her bigger batts.

Hmm, it's sounding like charging the lithium battery is something of a thorny problem, I had considered this myself- but not as in depth as those commenting above... 

What about adding additional batteries?

Heard a rumor about a guy who bought some batteries at Walmart in Georgia and installed them himself in his C-max hybrid and was getting 100mpg... sounds pretty urban-legendy, but I could see it having a beneficial effect with a lot less hassle...

Why would anyone want to turn their C Max into a coal-powered auto ?  The essence of a C Max is that the ICE is terrific for acceleration and getting the car up to speed.  Then you glide for a minute or less and brake for a stop light, capturing the motion by converting into electricity for the next glide.

Most of our power stations burn coal to make that charging kilowatts.  Why encourage them to burn more coal ?  Why not pay for some gas and stretch it and have some fun driving?  I'm getting 45.3 mpg in my C Max Hybrid SEL.  Most of the posts on charging batteries are people who get  39.1 mph for some crazy reason.   Hasn't everyone watched the professional drivers on YouTube ? They show you how to drive a hybrid right.  You can drive a C Max (in warm weather anyway) for 7 cents a mie. 

Why would anyone want to turn their C Max into a coal-powered auto ?  

You can drive a C Max (in warm weather anyway) for 7 cents a mie. 

As per my previous posts in this thread, I agree that going to the expense of trying to convert the cmax hybrid to a/c charging is foolish but as a former volt owner I would like to clear up a few things.  

First, the national grid is getting cleaner and cleaner and it greatly depends on where one lives if their electric car is powered by "dirty coal".  Even here in Texas, the home of big oil, we have wind farms coming out the wah-zoo!    Second, most plug-in owners charge at night when there is a surplus of electricity so no extra fuel whether it be coal or otherwise is burned.  And lastly at 80% EV use, my volt had a .03 cents/mile running cost  (162mpg lifetime) which might seem hard to believe yet I was still below the median average of owners on http://www.voltstats.net     NOTE:  voltstats data is NOT self-reported like fuelie.com, it comes directly from the car via OnStar telematics.

Most electric power in the US is NOT coal.  Coal power is below 40% and dropping fast.  Natural gas, wind and other sources are replacing coal.

My Energi power source is primarily solar.

Edited by DR61