metallic rubbing screeching

grege

Hi,

When coasting (even in neutral), I hear a pulsating, metallic rubbing sound coming from the rear.  I suspect it's the rotors rubbing against something, but correct me if I'm wrong - once any rotor rust is "busted" loose, there should be near-nothing in terms of rubbing until hitting the brake pedal, correct?  It's different than the regen noise and as mentioned, does this coasting in neutral as well.  Maybe a caliper is hung up or a splash guard is slightly bent, causing the rubbing, but...curious if anyone else notices this; it's most noticeable when all windows are up.   

Thanks,

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2013 that has developed a similar sound.  I'm afraid it has something to do with the transmission.  I'll try coasting in neutral and see if it is still there.  

Mine is definitely coming from the rear wheels.  Small chance it's a wheel bearing; likely scenario is either a brake caliper not fully releasing for simply an uneven rotor.  Sounds similar to driving the car after a few days of rust have built up on the rotors except that it occurs constantly while driving.  I'll add that to my undercarriage rattle that's gone unresolved next service.    

Greg

I hear it on my 04 Focus when I don't drive it for a while.  It's rust.  If it's a steady sound it's less likely to be rust.  Have you tried putting your C-Max in neutral and braking downhill to 'sand off' potential rust?   I do it once a month or every couple of months on my C-Max. 

• 3 weeks later...

Dropped car at ford dealer and interestingly, they first resurfaced all rotors (front and back) and then ended up replacing the rear ones after measuring "below"tolerance.  None of the brake pads were replaced at the same time.  Did not expect or want the front ones resurfaced, so not sure why they did that since the problem reported was for the rear brake/tire noise.  

A little annoyed that a dealer would replace rotors but not the brake pads since you've already got the brakes apart.  Oh well, 2 more years of warranty left, so if I hear other noises or warping, back it goes...

Greg  

I've had this too, and it's the rear rotors.

I hear it on my 04 Focus when I don't drive it for a while.  It's rust.  If it's a steady sound it's less likely to be rust.  Have you tried putting your C-Max in neutral and braking downhill to 'sand off' potential rust?   I do it once a month or every couple of months on my C-Max. 

^^^  100% this.

Hit the nail on the head.