Day one impressions

valkraider

Day one:  About 50 city miles on the ticker.

Energi SEL, 303A, Panoramic roof, Blue Candy

I really like this car!  A lot.

It is powerful, quiet, fun to drive, good looking, etc etc.

Here are our notes thus far:

1. The passenger seat height is pretty tall, but passenger seat height is completely non-adjustable.  Strange, considering the drivers side adjusts infinitely and we got the SEL with the highest package.  I would have thought even if manual, it could crank up and down like most of my past autos...  *dislike*

2. The owners manual for much of the menu configurations doesn't actually tell you what the stuff does, but instead just repeats the menu choices.  Ford: I can read the menu choices fine, but what does selecting one of the choices mean?  *dislike*

3. One grocery and mall trip and the kick-to-open hatch has already paid for itself.  Brilliant!  *like*

4. I am incredibly disappointed in Ford that they don't have MyFordMobile ready for these cars.  *dislike*

5. It is really easy to forget to close the charge port door - I drove around a couple times with it open, like an idiot.  We could use a warning inside...  *dislike*

6. The instrument clusters are really cool, but also seem like kind of redundant without enough customizability.  I would like to see a little more ability to customize - even the "My Screen" (or whatever) only has fairly redundant options.  *neutral*

7. Defrost almost always kicks in the ICE.  Which is a bummer, because while Portland is not drastically cold - it is very damp, and windows are always foggy.  So this kid of sucks.  Once the initial defog is done, the ICE will cut off but still the climate control defog sucks about 5 miles from the electric range.  Even set at 67 degrees and lowest fan setting.  *neutral*

8. Brake coach is really cool.  *like*

9. It is easy to spend all your time watching the fancy gauges, and not the street in front of you.  Be careful out there!  *like and dislike*

10. The A-Pillars are just like our New Beetle's were.  Completely in the way.  Portland has lots of bicycles and pedestrians, so it is tricky to check for people crossing the street while I am turning.  Just needs an adjustment in driving behavior.  *neutral*.

11. Energi cargo space is fine.  I played with it and filled it up at the grocery store, and it worked just fine.  *neutral*

12. There is no little nook or spot to put our mobile phones, for either driver or passenger.  Major 2012 fail.  There really should be some little tiny hole or cubby to set a mobile phone.  *dislike*

13.  Engaging the transmission takes some getting used to.  If my foot is not on the brake when I press the engine start/stop button, the car turns on but does not go into "ready to drive" mode.  If I place my foot on the brake and press the button again, it engages.  It made us look stupid at the dealership.  :)  *neutral*

14.  The automatic wipers work well. *like*

15.  The MyFordTouch is easy enough to use, and no better or worse than other infotainment systems I have used.  I think there is much ado about nothing with regards to it's complexity.  I will like to see how 3.5.1 changes things though.  *neutral*

16. Sync paired and works seamlessly with our two iPhone 5(s).  As expected.  *neutral*

17. There is a TON of road / background noise when using the hands-free phone setup.  Way worse than our past vehicles, and I was only going about 30mph.  I bet on the freeway it would be really loud.  *dislike*

18. It took 2 hours and 37 minutes to charge from dead using the Blink Level 2 charger at the mall.  (note: Blink charges in hourly chunks, so that final 37 minutes still costs a full hour when using Blink.) *neutral*

19.  I forget who mentioned it, but thanks for the tip about removing the bottom rubber nubs on the license plate, and using some normal snap in mounts from an auto store.  Being able to use all 4 bolts makes the license plate not rattle when the door opens and closes.  *neutral*

20. I wish outside temperature was displayed more prominently, Preferably in the "climate" area of MFT or something - so that passengers could see it too.  *dislike*

21. While plugged in this morning, I did a remote start from the keyfob (since MyFordMobile doesn't work yet).  Plugged in using the basic Level 1 charger.  Set to use "auto" climate control, with defrost off and to run for 15 minutes.  Parked in my garage, probably about 45 or 50 degrees ambient temp.  The ICE did not turn on, but a couple loud fans in the front of the car turned on, and a loud clacky motor sound (which based on other discussions here I think is the air conditioner motor) turned on - so it sounded like maybe the ICE was running.  But it was not, and I constantly checked the exhaust pipe to make sure - there was never any air flow from the exhaust, nor any warmth generated there at all.  *neutral*

That's enough to bore you for now.

#20 is supposed to be answered in the next MFT update.  Most of the non-hybrid MFTs already have this release rolled out.  Not sure what's taking so long for the hybrid update.  I emailed Ford and they said that it is not available for the C-Max or any hybrids yet and they weren't sure when it would be. I would think the MFT portion would be very similar.  Anyways, they are adding the temp next to the time.  They had it that way in 2010, then took it in a release earlier this year, and now they are adding it back.  What's funny though, is Ford is talking it up like it is a new feature with this latest release :)  You can see some details about the release under the syncmyride.com update area. 

#20 is supposed to be answered in the next MFT update.  Most of the non-hybrid MFTs already have this release rolled out.  Not sure what's taking so long for the hybrid update.  I emailed Ford and they said that it is not available for the C-Max or any hybrids yet and they weren't sure when it would be. I would think the MFT portion would be very similar.  Anyways, they are adding the temp next to the time.  They had it that way in 2010, then took it in a release earlier this year, and now they are adding it back.  What's funny though, is Ford is talking it up like it is a new feature with this latest release  :)  You can see some details about the release under the syncmyride.com update area. 

When I called them today they told me that the reason my Energi couldn't do the update yet was the built in NAV, because they need to also send new SD cards for the NAV, and those are not ready yet.  According to them f I update the system but don't have the new NAV SD card, nothing will work.

As always, your mileage may vary.

I thought  the outside air temp display was added in the previous update (ver 3.2.2) as a selectable on/off feature?  I guess the C's are still running the older version?

Yes, they still haven't updated the version for the C-Max yet.

I didn't hear anything about the SD Cards, yet I wouldn't mind a free GPS update too :)  I know that the maps on my 2013 aren't any different than they were on the 2011 for the area I live in.  An Interstate Loop opened up near my home in 2010 and it's still not on my Nav.  I am now hopeful that there will be a Nav update!

7. Defrost almost always kicks in the ICE. Which is a bummer, because while Portland is not drastically cold - it is very damp, and windows are always foggy. So this kid of sucks. Once the initial defog is done, the ICE will cut off but still the climate control defog sucks about 5 miles from the electric range. Even set at 67 degrees and lowest fan setting. *neutral*

Congrats on finally taking possession of you new Energi, I am jealous for not having the Kahonas to get one myself.

Regarding #7 does this happen even when the EV only button is pressed?

Regarding #7 does this happen even when the EV only button is pressed?

Yes, it will switch back to EV Auto and pop up a message (I forget exactly what it says) like "Engine enabled for climate control". However it will run in EV Now mode too - it seems to judge when it needs more juice for climate...

Valkraider,

Bore us? Not Likely! Thanks for the excellent points. #17 surprised me, because when we test drove the C-max hybrid, before ordering the Energi, we both thought it was the quietest car we had ever been in. Is it noisy in general, or is it something to do with the noise cancelling system than doesn't work well with the hands-free?

Valkraider,

Bore us? Not Likely! Thanks for the excellent points. #17 surprised me, because when we test drove the C-max hybrid, before ordering the Energi, we both thought it was the quietest car we had ever been in. Is it noisy in general, or is it something to do with the noise cancelling system than doesn't work well with the hands-free?

The car is very quiet itself...

It has to be something with the noise canceling system and hands free phone use...

The car is very quiet itself...

It has to be something with the noise canceling system and hands free phone use...

One thing I would like to know is what the Energi shows for mpg at 70 mph given you can run in EV mode up to 85 mph. Also how fast does the battery discharge at those speeds. Might be helpful to those who do mostly highway driving and provide them with a data point for a C-Max vs Energi decision.

We have not really done any highway driving yet. Someone else may have to look in to that maybe, not only do we not usually do much highway driving - within 20 miles of my house most freeways have 50 or 55 mph speed limits. :)

Also, as a nit-pick: it is hybrid or Energi. They are both C-Max. This will be more important after the new year when Ford starts selling the Fusion Energi.

One thing I would like to know is what the Energi shows for mpg at 70 mph given you can run in EV mode up to 85 mph.

I just took my Energi on a 200 mile highway drive, 70 was my target speed (though I did go both above and below for some time). Trip mpg ended up at 45, but that included the 20 miles on battery, so sustained mpg was closer to 42. Temps were in the 30s to 40s, and I think I had a big tailwind most of the way. I also was running the tires at about 42psi, rather than the sticker value of 38. Overall, I'm pleased, and think low 40s is going to be typical for my 70mph runs. I did see the ICE cut off and the electric drive take over at speeds up to 75 or so, but usually on a down grade (in EV Later mode, so it was behaving like the Hybrid at the time).

Edited by MikeB

I just took my Energi on a 200 mile highway drive, 70 was my target speed (though I did go both above and below for some time). Trip mpg ended up at 45, but that included the 20 miles on battery, so sustained mpg was closer to 42. Temps were in the 30s to 40s, and I think I had a big tailwind most of the way. I also was running the tires at about 42psi, rather than the sticker value of 38. Overall, I'm pleased, and think low 40s is going to be typical for my 70mph runs. I did see the ICE cut off and the electric drive take over at speeds up to 75 or so, but usually on a down grade (in EV Later mode, so it was behaving like the Hybrid at the time).

Thanks for the update, you are getting about 4 mpg more than I do at those speeds. I noticed the C-Max Hybrid will provide some EV assist at slight road elevation changes but never go into full EV at speeds above 62 mph.

Edited by darrelld

We have not really done any highway driving yet. Someone else may have to look in to that maybe, not only do we not usually do much highway driving - within 20 miles of my house most freeways have 50 or 55 mph speed limits. :)

Also, as a nit-pick: it is hybrid or Energi. They are both C-Max. This will be more important after the new year when Ford starts selling the Fusion Energi.

C-Max Hybrid or C-Max Energi for model semantic differentiation sounds good. : )

Thanks for the update, you are getting about 4 mpg more than I do at those speeds. I noticed the C-Max Hybrid will provide some EV assist at slight road elevation changes but never go into full EV at speeds above 62 mph.

Apparently, I had a really monster tail wind yesterday. I added 2 people and some luggage, and dropped to about 36mpg today.

I very clearly saw EV mode at 70 today, even on flat terrain. It looks like steady interstate driving slowly charges the battery, and then as the charge gets high enough the threshold for EV mode goes way up, EV kicks in eventually and you burn off that same charge. I think it's the Empower screen that shows the threshold for EV to ICE, and that threshold was moving up and down for much of the drive. Was very interesting to watch. (again, my highway driving was all EV Later mode, so it's the basic hybrid operating mode I was observing)

• 5 weeks later...
I bought a pro-clip system.  Fits the car perfectly.

https://www.proclipusa.com/

Me too! Just installed it last week. The ProClip mount does open a slightly noticeable gap in the trim, but the position, angle etc. are perfect. Great for iphone users: if you use your phone for navigation, you'll find the next-turn indicator is where you can easily see it; and the Siri button (which works over the car's Bluetooth) is where you can easily reach it.

Why no obvious factory phone spot? Probably because Ford's big safety push is to eliminate the need to ever look at the phone, by leveraging voice commands over Sync. I wasn't sure whether to bother getting a mount, because until now I've just dropped the phone in the console connected by USB and used Ford's AppLink feature to control Pandora, or Ford's Services feature together with the Destinations app to get directions, etc. But honestly, that stuff is a bit kludgy...and until Ford implements natural language processing, instead of making you memorize specific command sequences, I am not sure it does as much as it should to reduce distraction.